Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

MOST PLAYED race (Not favorite) (poll)

CaentyrCaentyr Registered Users Posts: 465
just a quick poll to collect some data.

https://strawpoll.com/s4k4h4y2

Tagged:

Comments

• martijn_v99martijn_v99 Registered Users Posts: 56
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572
    Well considering that I played them the most in game 1 and they are still among the top in game 2 I have to go with dwarfs.

Besides the problem of fleeing enemy troops dwarfs are the only faction that really satisfies me.
    The campaign is just cool and always battling with better but fewer and slower troops is just really much fun besides the cool background.

Empire comes close but the campaign play of leading a bloody campaign to subjugate all the elector counts kills it a bit for me. Its always the same and lorewise very very hard to justify while taking back the world edge mountains as dwarfs is just awesome.

HE are my number three. Their roster is extremely diverse and the gameplay in battles is mostly spot on but the campaign really kills it for me. Killing other HEs ( I mean Tyrion killing swordmasters because they offended him? WTF is this) and then being "stuck" (not literally but taking other lands -while cool- has little merrits) on Ulthuan is a bid sad since HE were my first TT army.
  • AnothaGitAnothaGit Registered Users Posts: 306
    It's really hard to tell. I voted VC but it is very close with the Dwarves and then 3rd LM and HE are catching up (but the first 2 i played a lot in WH1).
  • RazmirthRazmirth CalgaryRegistered Users Posts: 2,256
    I’d say dwarves and high elves, as both are easy mode. But that being said, their armies are still fun to play in battle!
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,310
    edited June 2018
    Can't wait for someone to come along and extract some bogus conclusion from this poll and use it as a pedestal to complain about their favorite race. I'm just talking in general, not anybody in particular ;)
  • Rochaid29Rochaid29 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,425
    oh ...what a surprise.. orcs and chaos are top bottom.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,653
    Across both games its definitely Dwarfs. Possibly also in TWW2 alone although High Elves would be close.

Strangely while the Empire was my secondmost played race in TWW1 I haven’t played a single campaign with them in TWW2 apart from trying something out. Which was to build the Reikland and the Wasteland to the max and sending an army to Lustria but that was just a very short campaign for the lulz to try out a scenario I had originally planned towards the end of TWW1. I really like the Empire and its units but I think their mechanic is a severe let down and that really shows in TWW2. I’m not even really bothered about more legendary lords, factions and starting positions for them or any missing units I’m longing for I just think the general mechanic of Imperial Council is really bare bones and under utilized and would much rather have it expanded with Elector Count positions as well.

Least played across both games are Beastmen, Wood Elves and Bretonnia. Of which the two latter ones are races/factions I don’t even think, at this point in time, that I will ever revisit. Which isn’t too surprising as I’d probably rank them as my two least favourite table top Warhammer races. If Wood Elves had more tree spirits I might return but I Bretonnia have few redeeming qualities aside from the fact that I like Harbourmaster de Bordeleaux.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    seienchin said:

Well considering that I played them the most in game 1 and they are still among the top in game 2 I have to go with dwarfs.

Besides the problem of fleeing enemy troops dwarfs are the only faction that really satisfies me.
    The campaign is just cool and always battling with better but fewer and slower troops is just really much fun besides the cool background.

Empire comes close but the campaign play of leading a bloody campaign to subjugate all the elector counts kills it a bit for me. Its always the same and lorewise very very hard to justify while taking back the world edge mountains as dwarfs is just awesome.

HE are my number three. Their roster is extremely diverse and the gameplay in battles is mostly spot on but the campaign really kills it for me. Killing other HEs ( I mean Tyrion killing swordmasters because they offended him? WTF is this) and then being "stuck" (not literally but taking other lands -while cool- has little merrits) on Ulthuan is a bid sad since HE were my first TT army.

When playing any race I go to great lengths to try and not go to war with fellow race factions. Unless they are at war with me from the start or go to war with me later (although that is usually not a thing since I like to try and sign up everyone on NAP, trade and military access agreements at least). Either I’ll confederate them at one point or we conquer the world together. Because I am like you, it breaks the immersion somewhat when at war with my fellows. That said I have enjoyed some internal strife in the Empire at times because that is somewhat part of the identity of that bickering nation. I usually beat my Electors up without taking their lands though and mainly concentrate on defeating the Vamps and Skarsnik and retake the lands that they have taken. Might take longer than if I had gone to war with my own but at least I enjoy it more.
  • CaentyrCaentyr Registered Users Posts: 465
    Im just surprised Tomb kings and Norsca only got 2-3 votes. The hype and demand for TK's was extrodinary and people were royally **** that Norsca didn't make it to the ME campaign.

This poll suggests that most just played them a few times and went right back to the empire/dwarfs/highelves. The reacurring theme of these factions is that they are fairly easy to play and straightforward.

interesting....

Eimhosan said:

Im just surprised Tomb kings and Norsca only got 2-3 votes. The hype and demand for TK's was extrodinary and people were royally **** that Norsca didn't make it to the ME campaign.

This poll suggests that most just played them a few times and went right back to the empire/dwarfs/highelves. The reacurring theme of these factions is that they are fairly easy to play and straightforward.

interesting....

It’s hard to have played Norsca the most when TWW2 released ages ago without Norsca in it until just recently. I dare say most people haven’t been playing much of TWW1 since TWW2 came put. Also Norsca was released at the tail end of TWW1. I don’t find those numbers strange at all.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,445
    Single player Dwarfs, but if you include all my multiplayer campaigns Empire. So I chose Empire.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,733
    edited June 2018
    Game one or two? Game one was Vampire Counts, followed by the empire.

Game two, I've been all over the place since I'm biding my time on Skaven till their lord pack.

And Chaos is in shambles, I want to play Kholek but I just look at the mess Chaos is in and balk every time.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 19,520
    Hmmm.. during votes on the favourite the Lizardmen win, most played they're last..
  • AnothaGitAnothaGit Registered Users Posts: 306
    Eimhosan said:

interesting....

I have both TK and Norsca (which i yet have to learn to love). Played quite a lot of TK but they did not come close to my top 4 (VC, dwarves big head start from game 1, LM then HE from 2).

And yes i do like easy and straightforward (my no 5 is Chaos (mainly Kholek). I play him after the games with big empires and lots of diplomacy. Intrigue at court: smashed yours. :)

• Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,704
    Vampires in Game 1
    Skaven in Game 2
    Glory matters not.

• LordTorquemadoLordTorquemado Registered Users Posts: 2,042
    Empire during TWW1.

Now... with almost 900 played hours, I have not even played other race apart of Druchii.
  • Fiasco35Fiasco35 Registered Users Posts: 158
    I played Empire so much in TWW1. When Mortal Empires was released the first campaign that I played was Empire. My favorite race now is Dark Elf but I still really like the Empire flavor. Swords, Tanks, Artillery and magic in the same army.
  • BloodydaggerBloodydagger Registered Users Posts: 4,000
    I can't play human races in Fantasy games. Never could. My most played factions are Dark Elves and Greenskins.

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,643
    Whaaaaat... the dark elf players must still be sleeping in or something.

Also... screw EVERYONE that doesn't vote Greenskins >:(
    @Eimhosan I'm actualy surprised empire placed as high as they did. Since they need an update, and have needed one for a long time, I would think that people would have voted otherwise.

Good poll though, I think many of us are surprised!
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,579
    Bretonnia for me !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • ZerglesZergles Member Registered Users Posts: 3,014
    I picked Skaven. I have done less campaigns with them than I did Beastmen or VC. But I have so much more fun that the campaigns last longer because I sandbox around.

I don't understand why people like Dwarfs so much. Or Dark Elves.
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Registered Users Posts: 843
    I played alot of Dwarfs in TWW1 and a couple of ME games in TWW2. Purely in TWW2 it would be Tomb Kings as I've done 5 vortex campaigns (1 as each LL and 1 more as Settra on VH)

I chose to focus on TWW2 and picked Tomb Kings (even if its not what you're after It will barely make a dent in the Dwarf numbers)
    Razmirth said:

@Eimhosan I'm actualy surprised empire placed as high as they did. Since they need an update, and have needed one for a long time, I would think that people would have voted otherwise.

The thing with the Empire... it's actually really good.

Everything they have is capable, and has buffs to keep it relevant. They have a tool for every single task, and those tools are effective. They also have a full roster of heroes and better magic accessibility than even the High Elves (wtf?).

The Empire doesn't actually really NEED an update in terms of performance.

The update they NEED is simply some more lords. The ability to play not-Reikland. That's about it. It'd be nice to see the various knighthoods added in, but honestly they wouldn't bring much to the table that's not already there. What's left after that? Priests of Ulric I guess? How will they really differ from Warrior Priests of Sigmar, though? At this point that sort of thing is more window dressing than actual gameplay impact.

But hell, The Empire is probably the single most well balanced faction in the game. It's not the most elite faction, but it's got the tools to spank the elite factions and the cost efficiency to do it as well.

So I'm not surprised they're so heavily played at all.
    edited June 2018
    Itharus said:

Razmirth said:

The thing with the Empire... it's actually really good.

Everything they have is capable, and has buffs to keep it relevant. They have a tool for every single task, and those tools are effective. They also have a full roster of heroes and better magic accessibility than even the High Elves (wtf?).

The Empire doesn't actually really NEED an update in terms of performance.

The update they NEED is simply some more lords. The ability to play not-Reikland. That's about it. It'd be nice to see the various knighthoods added in, but honestly they wouldn't bring much to the table that's not already there. What's left after that? Priests of Ulric I guess? How will they really differ from Warrior Priests of Sigmar, though? At this point that sort of thing is more window dressing than actual gameplay impact.

But hell, The Empire is probably the single most well balanced faction in the game. It's not the most elite faction, but it's got the tools to spank the elite factions and the cost efficiency to do it as well.

So I'm not surprised they're so heavily played at all.
    I actually do agree with your post completely. They really are a a balanced faction. I still think their melee units could use a bit More love, but then they are meant to be average. That being said, empire are fantastic in the Calvary. I don’t care what anyone says, I’ve had the best results with Calvary in game when using Demi-gryphs. 150-300 kills each unit most battles, and I usually bring 3 or 4.

But yes they need more lord choices and a few new starting locations. Greenskins are in a similar position really.

Their war machines are a little off. Not as good as they could be, but decent enough at what they do. I find empire like dwarves only mobile and of course not as tough. But that being said, play Balthasar gelt and take the armour skill, plus his faction boost to armour, and research? You get almost +25 or 30 armour to all melee units, which buffs them to be fantastic holding units (as long as you bring a lord or hero to buff leadership nearby).
    @Razmirth . Outside of the RoR one I don’t think I have ever used Demigryphs. Being a child of 6th edition they never existed during my playing days and now when I build my provinces I never find the room for the building. I get all my Knights out of Reiksforts :blush: . And I still don’t miss them. They are evidently good but for me standard Reiksguard Knights get the job done well enough.

@Zergles . Angrund campaigns are epic stuff. One army of doom until you reach Eight Peaks. What’s not to like about Dwarfs? Good ranged and some of the absolute hardest infantry in the game. The fact that you get to fight to reclaim your lost holds instead of holding off and confederating already occupied lands. The biggest and most badarsed technology tree. I’ve played countless Dwarf campaigns and I know I’m going to play countless more. Especially when TWW3 releases. And then I’m also talking Chaos Dwarfs. Really looking forward to see how CA does them.
    People are going to hate on me for what I'm about to say.

Last night I was fiddling around with Free Company Militia and Pistoliers.

My pistoliers had 100-130 kills each 6 battles in a row against other empire forces >.>

The Free Company Militia did better than my swordsmen most of the time both in kills done and suffered, as well.
    Greenskins are kind of in the opposite boat from the empire.

They've got 4 lords and diverse starts (although Azhag really still needs to be elsewhere).

Where they lack is in overall capability of their units (they are unlorefully weak), and gaps in the hero roster.
    @Itharus . There are no two units in the entire Empire roster closer to my heart than Pistoliers and Free Company Militia. Good on you.
    Itharus said:

Greenskins are kind of in the opposite boat from the empire.

They've got 4 lords and diverse starts (although Azhag really still needs to be elsewhere).

Where they lack is in overall capability of their units (they are unlorefully weak), and gaps in the hero roster.

Yet counting the amount of units there is no race with a larger amount of different units. Greenskins is the only race above 30 units. Don’t think any other race is even at more than 25 last time I checked (units, heroes and lords not counted).