Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Let’s talk about UI and Unit cards

BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 474Registered Users
edited June 13 in General Discussion
Alright its time, you know how the saying goes, feedback(complain) now so there’s less of a need to feedback(complain) later.

1) Battle UI

-Small circular unit icon
I’ve heard alot of people preferring virtual banners over small icons
I personally don’t mind the attila style unit icons at all, but the current one does seem way too minimalistic.
Morale and ammo would the two most important stats that should be shown.

-Gigantic character cards spilting unit cards into 3
Alright this worries me a bit, because you are most likely grouping most of your melee infantry into a single frontline.
Might be problematic if they are split like this, it may become difficult or finnicky to maintain a cohesive frontline.
We’ll see.

-Double row cards even when you only has 1 army
Would take time to adjust to.

-Minimap
There are gigantic characters portraits but no units icons on the minimap, I hope its not done yet since that ‘s vital information.
(Also, do the walls block line of vision? It really should)

2) Unit cards

At first look you might think that these unit card are unfinished, but from what I’ve heard its their intended final state.
The purpose of not drawing the soldiers is to emphasise the equipment(weapons and shield) of the units, allowing players to identify unit roles faster.

But the problem I see here is that there’s **** ton of unit using extremely similiar equipment. In the above image, there are like 8 polearm cavalry with very similiar equipments and I can’t tell which one is better or worse.

At the very least I think helmet and armour needs to be drawn for better identification.

Sooo, thoughts and feedback?
Post edited by Breadbox on

Comments

• LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 565Registered Users
    Yes I fully agree with you. Although I like the style it could be less ''foggy'' in order to quickly see there role on the battlefield and which unit is more elite/superior. in it's current state one can only guess.
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 353Registered Users
    I hope classic mode UI will be different. It has a fantasy feeling to it, and that's the final version for unit cards? they look horrible
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 565Registered Users
    Where did you find that picture by the way?
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 692Registered Users
    -Small circular unit icon
    Definitely don't like those icons, I hated them in Attila and ToB. Would much prefer the banners.

-Gigantic character cards spitting unit cards into 3
    This is probably because as each hero now acts a a sub-commander within the army, units are divided between the hero portraits to represent which units are under which hero's command. I'd imagine during the deployment phase you can manually assign units to a hero; all your frontline melee troops can be placed under your Guardian hero's command, and so and so forth.
    I do agree that managing control groups during battles could get awkward though, but we'll just have to wait and see.

-Double row cards even when you only has 1 army
    Somebody did a quick bit of photoshopping in another thread and discovered that you can fit up to 40 units between the info-panel and the minimap. So it's probably for the purpose of reinforcements. I don't mind it myself though.

-Minimap
    Yeah, you can't really see anything on the minimap with those big bloody Hero icons. Still, it's work in progress, and the minimap is a pretty vital part of battles, so I'm confident it'll be fixed/improved before launch. I don't think it's really anything that we need to worry about right now.

-Unit Cards
    Nope, don't like em. I think I might actively dislike them. And I'm a guy who liked the unit cards in Rome 2 when the majority of people hated them! But these things? Oh boy... I mean, I like that they went with a kind of Chinese "water color" design, but... I dunno.... not really feeling it.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 474Registered Users
    LESAMA said:

Where did you find that picture by the way?

A secret foreign source at E3, I got more but I don’t think you are suppose to show images/videos from there.
    Only showed this one since we’ve already seen the art style in the gameplay reveal.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,505Registered Users
    The removal of ammo from unit icons is incredibly annoying and an immense downgrade.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • Mounted_NaginataMounted_Naginata Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited June 13
    I hope that the character icon doesn't exist in the battlefield or minimap. It makes me feel that this is a MOBA game.

The circular unit icons should be replaced by banners.

The unit cards are not distinguishable enough. Even the soldier is faceless, the position of the weapon, shield, horse head in different unit cards are not cohesive enough to distinguish the unit at a glance.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,130Registered Users
    I'm ok with those unit cards. Simple to understand, artistic but not over the top, they serve their purpose. Maybe a bit more details and it would be perfect (it's a bit too foggy right now).

What I'm concerned about is the gigantic portrait for the characters. Do they take two slots of regular units? That's a bit unnecessary...
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 7,853Registered Users
    edited June 14
    Breadbox said:

1) Battle UI

2) Unit cards

When the unit cards are small, its ok as you can see in BATTLE UI. To tell the truth, I like the unit cards artwork.

I'll hope the 20 unit cap per army has been abolished and we can have more.

Wonder if we are going to have big general portrait in Battle UI in classic mode, take note generals have bodyguards so we need bodyguards UI instead.

Waving flags is way better than those circular stuff.

Assigning units to another generals doesn't make sense since CA said that certain unit types are dependent on generals so they must always be attached to their general.
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • mammolo1234mammolo1234 Senior Member Posts: 262Registered Users
    The battle UI, with huge character picture and small unit ones, remembers me a lot the UI of TW: Arena.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - In the end, I think that Carthago must be destroyed
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 15,855Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    As long as I can turn them all off, as I do in all the other games, I don't care what they are. If it happens that I have to have them then I prefer the small circular ones.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,023Registered Users
    Unit cards are really awful. This was like, the WORST possible way they could have gone. It is aesthetically unpleasing and doesn't have a ton of function, I almost never had trouble telling what a unit did in games like S2 and Warhammer.
  • BlackenedLokiBlackenedLoki Junior Member Posts: 158Registered Users
    Krunch said:

Unit cards are really awful. This was like, the WORST possible way they could have gone. It is aesthetically unpleasing and doesn't have a ton of function, I almost never had trouble telling what a unit did in games like S2 and Warhammer.

Or Rome/2 or Atilla or ToB...

Takes all immersion and information away from the visuals... All you know is 'Ah this is a horse dude with a spear' And looking, that description could fit at least 4 unit cards. Having no idea which one is strong or weak or fast...
    Yes, I am one of those people who liked Rome 2 and yes my opinion is still valid.
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 570Registered Users
    What joker signed off on this?
    For Sigmar, Karl Franz, and The Empire!
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 389Registered Users
    I really like where they are going with it with the main characters. The unit ones are fine, but I would also be fine with more detail.
  • EfixEfix Posts: 216Registered Users
    I dislike the unit card they look unfinished and I also dislike the big heroes portraits spilling over it feels free to play moba like.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 7,853Registered Users
    No one complained regarding unit cards artwork when the gameplay has been released.

For me, the unit card design is fine.
    Personal preference of art style aside, I really think that the distinctiveness of these unit cards is in question.

Its probably the most glaring thing right now.
    Update: I believe they are still adding some more details to the unit cards for better identification .

Don’t think such concerns are justified now.

Breadbox said:

Update: I believe they are still adding some more details to the unit cards for better identification .

I noticed the same thing, the important elements of a unit are coloured where are the unimportant are ghostly.

So you can clearly tell, cavalry, shielded, lance.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,023Registered Users

Breadbox said:

I noticed the same thing, the important elements of a unit are coloured where are the unimportant are ghostly.

There was never a problem with that before though. They look aesthetically unpleading and have little function, in fact it will damage people's perception of how varied the game is as they will no longer see units but just unit types, even more so than they did before
  • BlackenedLokiBlackenedLoki Junior Member Posts: 158Registered Users
    Krunch said:

Breadbox said:

There was never a problem with that before though. They look aesthetically unpleading and have little function, in fact it will damage people's perception of how varied the game is as they will no longer see units but just unit types, even more so than they did before
    Exactly this.

I don't want to just know that it's shield and lance cavalry. It's so impersonal.

I want to know that it's my Guanxi Cavalry (or whatever it's called)
    Yes, I am one of those people who liked Rome 2 and yes my opinion is still valid.
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 353Registered Users
    As for the unit cards. As long as they aren't faceless in the final release I think I am okay with that

It's just the UI is heavily romanticized and that's the problem. not the unit cards
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 692Registered Users
    edited June 14

As for the unit cards. As long as they aren't faceless in the final release I think I am okay with that

It's just the UI is heavily romanticized and that's the problem. not the unit cards

What do you mean by the UI feels "romanticized"?

Krunch said:

Breadbox said:

Exactly this.

I don't want to just know that it's shield and lance cavalry. It's so impersonal.

I want to know that it's my Guanxi Cavalry (or whatever it's called)
    Wasn't saying I agree with it, just what seemed to be happening.