Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do you expect Dogs of War units to be recruitable by other races?

#915734#915734 Registered Users Posts: 982
Hello everyone.

If they are mercenaries I suppose they can be recruited by everyone not only TIlea, but what would make DoW/Tilea the faction unique then? I'm curious how CA will implement them, I think a good idea would be an option where you can hire the entire army of DoW instead of being able to add their units to you general, like intervention armies.
Tagged:

Comments

• #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,736
    I'm expecting a basic army for the Southern Realms and the DoW to be themed intervention armies.

We've already got the DoW unit Menghil Manhide in game as a rogue army, I think it'll be like that. I'm also expecting the Southern Realms and colonies to be absolutely stinking rich, very quick.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Registered Users Posts: 3,232
    In call of warhammer mod you could build a mercenary camp in your town and scripted events could unlock all the different DoW regiments for a certain time.

I thought that was a pretty cool system, like the mercenarys wandering arround come to your town for work.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Registered Users Posts: 1,531
    I doubt it.

In the campaign I hope there is unique diplomacy options when interacting with the southern realms.
  • Beast_of_Guanyin#8747Beast_of_Guanyin#8747 Registered Users Posts: 44,651
    I'm thinking along your lines. An intervention like army that you can't control.
    I am The Beast of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,789
    Intervention armies.

No to the regiments except maybe a few exceptions for example rugluds armored orcs for greenskins
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 8,246
    I think they might take the bulk of the basic TEB army basic to simple recruit for TEB. Then any of the single special ones might be a RoR.

But uncontrollable intervention armies is not something I would desire myself. The Waaagh armies appear and die fast and have a load of complications that are an endless line of sorrow here on these forums for good reason.
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Registered Users Posts: 16,363
    No. Other armies being able to recruit DoW units was cut by GW because it ruined race diversity of playstyle. Dwarfs are not Dwarfs if they can field cavalry. VC with archers, etc.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,579
    I really don't mean to sound negative or anything like that, but to be honest ? I don't look forward at ALL to Dogs of War. Completely not my style, I hate mercenary systems etc.

CA has the tendency to make something good out of something that doesn't look so attracting at first. So who knows ?

Rather I see other races, units or mechanic instead of Dog of War but thats my humble opinion ;) !

About the implantation, I think it would be indeed a good idea to make them somehow interactive with the other races. Like being able to hire them for something.

Maybe something like : you pay them a certain amount of gold, and then a army is created (lets say 3 diffrent, tiers, tier 1 the worst army, tier 2 normal, and tier 3 obvious the strongest with the best units) and you can direct that army to target.

This is just a crude idea that needs working out, but something in that style seems to work very well for the Campaigns.
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • RikRiorik#9890RikRiorik#9890 Registered Users Posts: 12,744
    Well you don’t have to tremble in your boots just yet @DarkLordD because as far as I am aware this thread is speculation built on speculation. As far as I know a Southern Realms or Dogs of War DLC has not been confirmed and neither by extension is there any reason to believe such a DLC would be implemented one way or the other.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • DeepwoodScout#2888DeepwoodScout#2888 Registered Users Posts: 121
    It would be interesting if friendly nations could offer you payment to fight their enemies, say 5000 credits to destroy a certain army they want gone...
  • daelin4#9896daelin4#9896 Registered Users Posts: 16,526
    I personally think Dogs of War should be the units for the TEB factions. Like, they have very primitive and basic regular units, but the majority of their army management will be about recruiting Dogs of War troops.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • Grom_the_Paunch#8146Grom_the_Paunch#8146 Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 2,741
    Nope, I expect not. We don't want all factions to start using mercs to play the same style, surely?

I would like to see a "meat and potatoes" pike/crossbow/cav TEB having access to the largest and most diverse pool of RoR. Raven Heralds for DE could almost be seen as a template for this.

I don't much like the idea of a Vortex-style "pay gold and army magically appears" mechanic. It works in Vortex to a limited extent but it would get old fast in ME etc.

Rogue armies that sit around and pick their noses haven't added as much to the game as they might have, either.
  • Mogwai_Man#4978Mogwai_Man#4978 Registered Users Posts: 6,400
    I dont expect the dogs of war at all.
  • Cadia101Cadia101 Registered Users Posts: 1,400

They could be interseting to bring less likelly spiecies, like amasons, or others...
    Cadia101 said:

They could be interseting to bring less likelly spiecies, like amasons, or others...
    More like RoR units for a playable Tilea. Since Tilea is already in several different tech trees of other factions.
  • ZerglesZergles Registered Users Posts: 3,014

Then you expect wrong.
    edited June 2018
    Zergles said:

Then you expect wrong.
    A playable tilea is more realistic. But that doesnt mean Dogs of War as a faction.
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Registered Users Posts: 16,363

Zergles said:

Then you expect wrong.
    A playable tilea is more realistic. But that doesnt mean Dogs of War as a faction.
    What do you think Tilea will have as units?
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • ZerglesZergles Registered Users Posts: 3,014

Zergles said:

Then you expect wrong.

Why wouldn't it? You could have Tilea, Border Princes, and Estalia then a 4th LL who is basically a horde for DoW thst goes around questing for his victory conditions.

4 LL's at a faction's start was already done with the TKs. And TEB only has three main places to start. It'd be cool if they gave us the 4th LL who just roams around doing whatever. It would be a new playstyle. It's also a pretty obvious jump from TEB to Horde LL for DoW

Zergles said:

Then you expect wrong.
    I think Tilea will reuse some empire assets just like Norsca reuses some WoC assets. There would also be Tilean themed units. That doesn't mean "Dogs of War" though.
    Zergles said:

Zergles said:

Then you expect wrong.

Why wouldn't it? You could have Tilea, Border Princes, and Estalia then a 4th LL who is basically a horde for DoW thst goes around questing for his victory conditions.

4 LL's at a faction's start was already done with the TKs. And TEB only has three main places to start. It'd be cool if they gave us the 4th LL who just roams around doing whatever. It would be a new playstyle. It's also a pretty obvious jump from TEB to Horde LL for DoW
    Or a playable Tilea with 4 LL. Time will tell. I just dont see an individual mercenary faction happening. I could see human mercenary companies though being RoR assets for a playable Tilea.
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,382

Zergles said:

Then you expect wrong.
    I think Tilea will reuse some empire assets just like Norsca reuses some WoC assets. There would also be Tilean themed units. That doesn't mean "Dogs of War" though.
    Tilea has a unique aesthetic (Italian Renaissance + some ancient Roman and Greek flair) and different military structures and traditions than the Empire (no non-mercenary troops, actual pikes, no handguns or pistols, lighter cannons, etc.).

Reusing any Imperial stuff for Tilea/DoW without at LEAST a reskin would be grossly inaccurate, unlike using Chaos Marauders for Norsca. Players would call bull**** if CA and GW were that lazy, and I don't think they would be.
    edited June 2018

Zergles said:

Then you expect wrong.
    Tilea has a unique aesthetic (Italian Renaissance + some ancient Roman and Greek flair) and different military structures and traditions than the Empire (no non-mercenary troops, actual pikes, no handguns or pistols, lighter cannons, etc.).

Reusing any Imperial stuff for Tilea/DoW without at LEAST a reskin would be grossly inaccurate, unlike using Chaos Marauders for Norsca. Players would call bull**** if CA and GW were that lazy, and I don't think they would be.
    They'll come with a reskin but it would involve reusing empire assets. Not universally though. There would be unique models designed specifically for the faction.

As for the "dogs of war" i don't see mercenary companies being added to the game. Maybe in an RoR capacity specifically for the southern realms.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,455
    Well Factions in Total War: Warhammer Trilogy already have an 'Regiments of Renown'.
  • FrostPaw#5051FrostPaw#5051 Registered Users Posts: 1,240
    Regiments of Renown ARE dogs of war you know....
  • Omega_WarriorOmega_Warrior Registered Users Posts: 1,401
    Dogs of war were referred to as regiments of renown on tabletop.

In game we have faction specific regiments of renown that replace this, that even use the same type of recruitment system ca has used in the past for mercenaries.

I think it’s safe to say dogs of war will be their own thing. It’s better this way as it won’t hurt faction diversity.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,455

Zergles said:

Then you expect wrong.
    A playable Tilea is more realistic. But that doesn't mean Dogs of War as a faction.
    I agree, as you can't have a lot of armies based around an Regiments of Renown type of units.
  • PilthoidPilthoid Registered Users Posts: 287
    I think if they are added at all it will be in two ways.

1/ They will add another tab to the unit recruitment area for them. So when you click on it you see about 15 named units of various races there- some that may not even be in the game yet IE Halflings or Ogres. Perhaps you can only hire one or two of them to work with your particular race.

2/ They give the area they frequent a legendary lord from the area and one from the DoW as well as the basic fighting types that each race tends to have. Then since the Dogs frequent that area the most, they can take up to 5 of them. The actual Dogs LL can take more or course...

Now if you look at these potential options it gives the possibility to circumvent racial army issues, ala Vampires get missile weapons, etc... For this reason I kind of doubt they will let everyone hire them. Then again, would they hire themselves out to the bad guys? Could Chaos hire them? Probably not, so maybe only races of man could hire them.

And if races of man could, then it would help bridge the gap between the DE, HE and other bigtime factions and say, Empire and Brettonia for example.
  • SaurianDruid#4682SaurianDruid#4682 Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Rather than units, I'd expect other factions to be able to recruit Dogs of War armies that they can't control. Like a recruitable brayherd of WAAAGH. You point it in the right direction and forget about it.