Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Site decline

TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Posts: 100Registered Users
Hey guys,

It's my impression that the site has declined decisively in traffic since the days of Rome II. The Warhammer, Throb and 3k forums are barely active and CA reps tend to post more official news in reddit than here. Do you agree with this observation?

If the answer is positive, what's the cause for that unfortunate development? Is reddit more appealing to newer customers than old-fashioned forums. Has the new format and its various bugs been responsible for driving many users away? Or maybe there's little point frequenting it now that browsing Grace's account in reddit makes you more informed about recent developments?

Cheers,

Comments

• daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,045Registered Users
    I don't agree with this observation.
    The QUALITY of forum activity has declined, that's for sure.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • twc01twc01 Senior Member Posts: 465Registered Users
    CA does not allow free speech, that is my suggestion on the decline.
    “If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to return it. If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help them with it.
    exodus 23 4-5
  • CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,078Registered Users
    It never has allowed "free speech" so that is not it either.

The difference lays with the old school players from the early days to the flippant players of the latter days.

I know I sound like the old guy shouting at the kids to stay off my lawn

Also with each move this forum makes we lose valuable members. I miss the days of member clans and such

Daelin4 hit it with quality
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 531Registered Users
    No matter how hard you fall, its impossible to fall harder than TWCenter forums, the bustling hub it was for all things Total War back in the day :'( ,far grander than even the highest point of this official forum.
    Rome 2 launch combined with Warhammer have utterly vanquishes much of the community, they’re just gone.

Seriously where did all the English total war discussion wemt? The player base are definately still here( somewhere ), did literally everyone ran off to Meme reddit?
    The nature of meme leddit ensures that only memes and mildly amusing PSes ever gets on the front page, you’ll never find any indepth or quality discussions there :( .
    It is no replacment for a proper forum.
  • CapricornianGoatCapricornianGoat Junior Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited July 7
    What is happening to one's level of excitement of the Forums may be similar to Benjammin Franklin's quote: "Nothing is certain in this world - except death and taxes." Loss of enthusiasm will happen to each one of us.

We liked to play the game. We visit these forums for many different reasons. We throw in our contributions, our opinions, and watch our post count rise (LOL). Some of us may even volunteer to be a Moderator or an Admnistrator (like I did simply because I cared for the forums and volunteering my time was my way of caring.)

And then at a point in time, enthusiasm will wane or fade. I continued on with the realities of life and visited less. The Forums is still out there. But the excitement is gone. I have gotten old, I have outgrown the Forums, and the Forums have passed me by. And so, I have contributed less to the traffic.

TWC and the ORG for that matter were primarity user modding sites, IMO. I am just guessing, but maybe the games today have more quality and range and thus there is less need for sophisticated user modding.

And these forums, has also evolved. When I started, it was a user forum. Maintained by users and managed by users. Now it is an official company marketing tool. Our expectations may still be the same but the Forums have changed. How this relates to traffic, No comment. LOL.
    Post edited by CapricornianGoat on
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,913Registered Users
    The truth of the matter is aggregate sites like Reddit and social media such as Facebook have long taken over the mantle of community hubs from typical forum sites. From gaming, to technology, to fashion, to news, to politics, to anything you can think about, places like Reddit and other similar sites provide it all, and with a constantly updating cycle of new content to consume and argue about.

When the internet was "young" I used to visit 5 different forums on a daily basis. Now I just use Reddit, and browse the various sub-communities there.

Essentially those who care about being a “community” rather use Facebook groups now, and those who’d like to enjoy the sense of having a constant forum-like atmosphere goes for Reddit.

There are still many well-established forums that are likely to be around for at least a few more years, but the new ones will eventually lose the battle against Facebook, and in my opinion all the forum-like content will eventually be moved to Reddit.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Posts: 100Registered Users

TWC and the ORG for that matter were primarity user modding sites, IMO. I am just guessing, but maybe the games today have more quality and range and thus there is less need for sophisticated user modding.

The opposite is true. Overhaul mods are a thing of the past, because many parts of the recent games (scripting, maps etc.) are simply unmoddable, while the files are riddled with bugs and inaccuracies. They have been replaced with smaller mods, aiming for modeling or small improvements in the campaign map, which are located in Steam. The community is desperate for mods at the level of IB, SS or BS, but that's pretty much impossible.

I agree that other forums have also declined, but my impression is that it's not comparable to the official ones. Just check the traffic in 3K, tiny, almost non-existent and immensely smaller than the pre-release hype for Rome II. I believe that the main reasons for the downfall is the growing popularity of reddit and social media, as well as the fact that the forum is relatively neglected by CA staffers, so new members are less inclined to join, considering that it has lost its main advantage.
  • hoomhoom Posts: 61Registered Users
    edited July 14
    Well this seems like a good place for a 1st post.

Technically not actually first post, I think .com was even my first ever Forum account back in the heady days of Shogun 1.
    I've been in self imposed exile to .org since 2002 due to disagreement with moderation policy allowing the prevalence of bizzare howling flash signatures at the time.
    (side point is there some way to get a light theme here? The dark really messes with my eyes)

But the .org is really really dead these days and I'm sick of talking to myself, so I'm back here.
    I have long lurked but never joined TWC, something just always didn't feel right about that place somehow, but its definitely been in big decline too.

I'm kinda too old to properly get Reddit...

So I'm here again :)
    You'll probably mostly find me in the Rome II section but I'm pretty excited about 3 Kingdoms too.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...
  • BackoBacko Senior Member Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    edited August 8
    daelin4 said:

The quality and innovation of the games declined.

Further elaboration should be given to a bald statement like that, but I can barely raise the ire necessary to earn a ban paddling.
    Never promise crazy a baby
  • CapricornianGoatCapricornianGoat Junior Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited August 9
    Backo said:

daelin4 said:

The quality and innovation of the games declined.

Further elaboration should be given to a bald statement like that, but I can barely raise the ire necessary to earn a ban paddling.
    Aye. Further elaboration should be given to a bald statement like that. LOL. There was a time when before someone gets banned he will just be dragged to the darkest basement of the forums where the mods will have their fun. :)
  • BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,516Registered Users
    Some have moved to the reddit and the discord. so it no wounder if you see less traffic.