Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Let's talk about Unit Recruitment

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberPosts: 7,607Registered Users
edited August 17 in General Discussion
Recruitment in Three Kingdoms now depends on characters rather than on factions itself so it means every faction will now have different unit roster depend on whom heroes you pick.

*What will happen to retinue after their general dies?

*Will each hero going to have specialty in their unit roster?
- Example, Ma Teng (Xiliang) specializes in cavalry so does it mean his units of cavalry will have more men per unit compared to other cavalry units?

*Armies now are divided into several retinues led by a hero
-Retinue means a group of soldiers led by a hero so units are now automatically grouped. If a general wants to order all of his units to do a formation, does he have the flexibility to do so? If he wants all his units under his retinue to form a single shield wall, will all of his units of the same type merge to form a single shield wall? Hope Retinue means fighting together side by side rather than just fighting in the same army.

*Will swapping of units per retinue allowed?
- Will you be able to share your units to another retinue? Every retinue now depends on the hero itself so it must be personalized. Units must only stay in the retinue of the hero who recruited them.

*How are Characters going to differ from another character of the same hero class?
- If you want to hire a certain unit, do you need to hire a specific character or can you hire this unit from the same hero class also? If you have three Champions, will all of them going to have an identical roster?

*Will each hero class going to have the same unit cap?
- Will Commander, Strategist, Guardian, Vanguard and Champion going to have the same unit cap each or will it vary as long as they fill the army cap?

*Will Heroes just going to unlock units or will they going have their own units disregarding which faction they work for?
- Will there be fixed set of units for every faction that is going to be unlocked regarding whom Hero you have or will heroes going to hire exactly the same units disregarding which faction they are currently working for?
Post edited by jamreal18 on

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 12,548Registered Users
    No, it will be one roster which different heroes and lords have access to.

Tells me quite firmly that CLONE WARS ARE CUMING!

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 2,853Registered Users

I'd like your proof please. Don't have any? Oh, how unfortunate.

• BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 409Registered Users
    edited July 11

Yeah, no, Yellow Dragons appears to be reminiscent of the QingZhou Troops, while Tiger and Leopard Cavalry are troops belonging to Cao Family.
    Other factions is unlikely to have them.
    Also, LuBu has a made up cavalry unit called....’Jade dragon’....it gets no points for its naming but its there.
    LiuBei’s units will also have unique appearances.

If you’d taken a look at my UI thread you’ll notice that there’s at least 8 polearm cavalry, which is alot more than I would have came up with .
    (Bloated unit rosters are totally unnecessary and unhistorical imo)

Its clear you have neither paid attention to the demo or know enough about actual history to support your assertion .
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 536Registered Users
    I think that all generals will be able to at least hire militia/levy versions of all standard troop types, simply because you can't have situations where the player or AI can't recruit swordsmen or archers because they don't have the right kind of characters. I think the limits will be more about elite and special units.
    For Sigmar, Karl Franz, and The Empire!
    Krunch said:

Got proof it got idiosyncratic rosters? No.

It's Chinese all the way to the bottom, therefore:

Clone Wars Are Coming!

edited July 11

Krunch said:

Clone Wars Are Coming!
    Even today with modern communication and transportation technology and the efforts of the government, certain regions of china can still be fairly different from each other. And things were even more different back then, especially with the breakdown of the Imperial army and central Han government. While yes, I imagine many factions will have the same base units particularly those in the north/center around the Yellow River, warlords will still likely have unique units to differentiate them further(we already know Cao Cao has his unique Tiger and Leopard cavalry and there are plenty of other unique units for him and other different warlords that can feature). And regions not in that central area like the SW and SE aswell as potentially the NE have the potential for differing rosters. That's not even mentioning the possibility of other factions that may appear at some point as DLC like Korea and the proto-mongols in the North and Vietnamese and Nanman in the south
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 7,607Registered Users
    @Krunch who will get access to Tiger and Leopard Cavalry; Cao Cao, Xiahou Dun, Xu Chu or all of them?
    jamreal18 said:

@Krunch who will get access to Tiger and Leopard Cavalry; Cao Cao, Xiahou Dun, Xu Chu or all of them?

When I said warlords will likely have unique units I meant that Warlord's faction. So Cao Cao's faction, Gongsun Zan's faction, etc. So any lord in Cao Cao's faction who could recruit cavalry can recruit Tiger and Leopard cavalry I would imagine.

Though I do think it would be neat if some particularly elite and unique units went further beyond just being faction specififc, but instead were only usable by specific characters in a faction, Tiger and Leopard cavalry for example only being usable by the Cao family and certain very specific generals. Not sure if CA would do that though.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Posts: 402Registered Users

Krunch said:

Clone Wars Are Coming!
    Clone Wars are indeed coming! Now suck it up!
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 15,812Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Recruitment in Three Kingdoms now depends on characters rather than on factions itself so it means every faction will now have different unit roster depend on whom heroes you pick.

That's an interesting interpretation, and jump to conclusions, of the PCGamer article.
    jamreal18 said:

*Armies now are divided into several retinue led by hero

This one stumped me, though. Where did you get this idea?

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • TheAridTheArid Posts: 75Registered Users
    Krunch said:

Of course he doesn't have proof, do you really think a developer would respond to your post?
    Krunch said:

Krunch said:

Clone Wars Are Coming!
    Even today with modern communication and transportation technology and the efforts of the government, certain regions of china can still be fairly different from each other. And things were even more different back then, especially with the breakdown of the Imperial army and central Han government. While yes, I imagine many factions will have the same base units particularly those in the north/center around the Yellow River, warlords will still likely have unique units to differentiate them further(we already know Cao Cao has his unique Tiger and Leopard cavalry and there are plenty of other unique units for him and other different warlords that can feature). And regions not in that central area like the SW and SE aswell as potentially the NE have the potential for differing rosters. That's not even mentioning the possibility of other factions that may appear at some point as DLC like Korea and the proto-mongols in the North and Vietnamese and Nanman in the south
    Except one of the biggest inventions of the first emperor was *drummroll*

STANDARDISATION!

He even invented serial numbers for armors and weapons. That's what made him come out victorious out of the Warring States period. There's no evidence the Three Kingdoms (or China as a whole) did a compelte 180° and reversed that trend.

There'll be Clone Wars.