Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Official Ancestral Update issues thread

Comments

• MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyPosts: 1,739Registered Users
    No bigger flags, make enemy too good visible on far distances. Make Battles too easy, as you have too much time to prepare. I play harder battle difficulty to have more challenge. Not easier, because i already know their positions.
  • happycompyhappycompy Senior Member Posts: 355Registered Users
    edited July 2018

No bigger flags, make enemy too good visible on far distances. Make Battles too easy, as you have too much time to prepare. I play harder battle difficulty to have more challenge. Not easier, because i already know their positions.

Then they should make it optional. No other TotalWar game has this oddity & it makes the game artificially more difficult simply by making things harder to see. That's not good gameplay for an RTS. There's a reason it didn't return in Attila (which is a much more challenging game than Rome 2) or Warhammer. It's just not a fun feature.
    HappyCompy's Rome 2 video emporium

Completed Campaigns:
    ETW: Italian States, Mughal Empire

Shogun 2: Uesegi, Date, Shoni

Rome II: Rome, Venetii, Bastarnians, Pontus, Athens

Attila: Franks (minor), Vandals (cultural)
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,294Registered Users

Some people have poor vision naturally and this is just an insult to them. Making things hard to see in a strategy game is NOT a valid difficulty increasing option.

Re: Desert Chariots --- why do they only have 6 charge bonus? That's what I really want to know. Two horses, let alone the chariot and the guy, should have more than 6 charge bonus just by mass and speed alone, lol.
  • happycompyhappycompy Senior Member Posts: 355Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    Itharus said:

Some people have poor vision naturally and this is just an insult to them. Making things hard to see in a strategy game is NOT a valid difficulty increasing option.
    Perfectly said my friend :)
    HappyCompy's Rome 2 video emporium

Completed Campaigns:
    ETW: Italian States, Mughal Empire

Shogun 2: Uesegi, Date, Shoni

Rome II: Rome, Venetii, Bastarnians, Pontus, Athens

Attila: Franks (minor), Vandals (cultural)
  • slapnut1207slapnut1207 Posts: 674Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    Victory conditions for Roman factions in ED should be more realistic mainly in territory.
    Because I and probably others don't want to over expand and conquer foreign territory. Since we don't like
    our faction's territory on the map looking weird and strange. Also we like to make our campaigns last forever.

Could the victory conditions at the minimum have this for Roman factions?

Also can we have Hadrian's wall visible in the map for Empire Divided?
    One last thing, could we get a dilemma for Roman factions that give some power back to the senate?
    Mainly powers that Tacitus gave back to the Senate.
    Post edited by slapnut1207 on
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

• Octavius_5Octavius_5 Senior Member Posts: 271Registered Users
    I remembered one more issue I've seen reported previously. For mounted units expert charge defense doesn't work. I have never tested this myself so if anyone else has more details about the specifics please add them in.
  • NimnieNimnie Posts: 2Registered Users
    I cannot start a campaign. I select which faction I want to play and after the loading bar has reached about 25% the program just closes. Highly disappointing :(
  • LordVonHamishLordVonHamish Junior Member Posts: 64Registered Users
    I have one big complaint! Why is thrones of britannia geting tool such as TeD in the Assenbly Kit which enables you to create invidual battlefields for land, sea and sieges. Why isnt rome 2 tw geting this? It would be just amazing to play on modded battlefield maps and a lot of fun and it would also make most of the old player base come back and expend replayability of the game :D hope you read this. Btw good job on the patch for the game :D love it!
  • lilsweetcaligulalilsweetcaligula Posts: 284Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    Boicote said:

I would like to report a bug related to the "family annals" event.
    One of my characters, who was leading an army, decided to leave my faction for a while to find a great treasure:

This is how it should work, no problem here.

However...

Later I had a character leading an army and I replaced him with another general. Next turn, I got the "family annals" event but the notification didn't show the name of the character.

I took a look on the family tree and I discovered that this event was related to the character that replaced in previous turn. Apparently, this event doesn’t show the character’s name if he is traveling back to the capital.

< Joke >Well, d'uh, how can you see something that's nowhere to be seen? :D < /Joke >

My personal favorite Total War games chart:
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,287Registered Users

I remembered one more issue I've seen reported previously. For mounted units expert charge defense doesn't work. I have never tested this myself so if anyone else has more details about the specifics please add them in.

It's an old bug, they only get it when they dismount. I think that one was fixed in Attila.
  • Emperor_SalvatoreEmperor_Salvatore Junior Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    Please don't forget to fix the broken achievement "Loremaster" since you are bringing a new update, it has been broken since release.
  • JimminyJimminy Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    launcher won't load for me, works fine without the beta, but i install it and get nothing.
    have removed and added the update twice, uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted pc, steam, nothing worked.

EDIT: got it going by using the %appdata% search and removing rome 2 from the roaming folder.
    Post edited by Jimminy on
  • CaptnDeutschlandCaptnDeutschland Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    Marrying a character form another party is a different action from "seek spouse", something called "Political Marriage" or something.
    I would not call Republican leaders "Princeps" as that title is more commonly known as what the Roman emperors called themselves during the Principate era.

It would
    In the republican eara there was the official title of princeps Senatus or first senator, it was no elected magistrate and by that a "lifetime appointment" the princeps Senatus had many privileges over the other members of the senate (also magistrates) he was ALWAYS allowed to do the first speech on anything debated in senate, even before the consuls
    And how did someone get princeps senatus: basically by being the oldest consul ad in the senate
    And the later called princeps only adopted this title basically to get the supremacy in the senate, although calling themselves princeps civitatis, meaning first citizen
    Because of that i think it would perfectly fit as faction leader title
    But thank you for the info on the political marriages
  • CA_dionisievCA_dionisiev Posts: 167Registered Users, CA Staff
    Nimnie said:

I cannot start a campaign. I select which faction I want to play and after the loading bar has reached about 25% the program just closes. Highly disappointing :(

@Nimnie would it be possible for you to share a dxdiag file from your PC with us so that we can investigate potential causes for this issue? I would guess you are not using any mods to the game?
    Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Ivan Dionisiev
    CA Sofia QA Team

FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Please don't forget to fix the broken achievement "Loremaster" since you are bringing a new update, it has been broken since release.

@Emperor_Salvatore I believe we have fixed the Loremaster achievement with this Open Beta, but feel free to prove me wrong :) If the achievement stands at 4/5 for you, please try finishing up the event chain with the Sassanids (again), this should help :)

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Ivan Dionisiev
    CA Sofia QA Team

FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,225Registered Users
    After loading an older campaign with the new update, my agents were not refunded enough skill points for their rank. I had a rank 9 spy who was only allocated 3 skill points.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,501Registered Users
    I came across two odd bugs last night.

For some reason, I cannot cancel my Military Access pact. No idea why.

And this one is just an odd graphical bug on battle I had right next to Alexandria. It's like there is meant to be mist or something coming from the river, but it just pools in a weird box shape.

CA, can you look into the issue of the Odrysian Kingdom spamming too much skirmisher units? My Macedonian pikes are useless against them and I don't really have anything to counter them besides fortifying or maybe trying to spam cheap skirmisher units plus more cavalry. Also update their roster since people have been asking for a updated Odrysian roster.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

• MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyPosts: 1,739Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    No, use slingers or cav to protect them. Nothing must be changed, only because some won´t adapt their army builds.

• ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,489Registered Users

Not sure if this is an isolated incident but desert charioteers have the default standing animation when charging.

not isolated, also gallic rome chariots have this issue, I read somewhere that they are on it anyway
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    Argon said:

Not sure if this is an isolated incident but desert charioteers have the default standing animation when charging.

not isolated, also gallic rome chariots have this issue, I read somewhere that they are on it anyway
    Indeed it is affecting all chariot units, and indeed we are on it, it should be fixed in a future update.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
    Cheers,
    Ivan Dionisiev
    CA Sofia QA Team

• Big_OBig_O Posts: 4Registered Users
    Just had CTD in a siege battle. First one in the beta.
    Dxdiag attached. Also, campaign camera when idle, makes the fps drop slowly to one (70, 65, 62, 58...) All the way to 1. then it stays like that until i move the camera again and it pop back to 70. If menus or event messages are on screen, it also does this.

• biohazardbgrbiohazardbgr Senior Member Posts: 370Registered Users
    Hello, guys here is a link to my feedback of the current version, I was originally planning to post in the forum here but there are some problems with the images not showing so here is the link:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?786983-Ancestral-Update-feedback&p=15630669#post15630669
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,294Registered Users
    edited July 2018

CA, can you look into the issue of the Odrysian Kingdom spamming too much skirmisher units? My Macedonian pikes are useless against them and I don't really have anything to counter them besides fortifying or maybe trying to spam cheap skirmisher units plus more cavalry. Also update their roster since people have been asking for a updated Odrysian roster.

That's not a bug or an AI shortfall. That's literally how OK plays.

OK is one of my most (if not THE most) favorite factions in the game -- DESPITE ALL THE HORRIBLE ROSTER GAPS AND SHORT COMINGS.

That said... you use a LOT of skirmishers. They were also known for this in history. When I form an army there are usually 6 or more units of peltasts. Usually 2-4 units of slingers or archers. I also bring the skirmisher cavalry. The majority of things in an OK army can throw javelins and have 2 or more of them. It's literally one of the defining traits of Thracian forces.

Historically, heavy infantry WERE famously defeated by a bunch of peltasts in a number of scenarios.

If you want to counter it, you need to bring cavalry and/or your own skirmishers.... or just a LOT more bodies.

IIRC Macedon has early access to some cheap shock cavalry (sarissa cav?) and don't they start with like a T1 or T2 military building? You should be able to get citizen cavalry very easily as well. Macedon is KNOWN for their cavalry. Just as Thracians are known for their skirmishers.

TL;DR: Bring Cavalry and a bit of skirmisher support of your own.

Also: Thanks for that last sentence! :)
  • BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Posts: 639Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    Suggestion:
    Give us the option to marry our children with characters from other nations.
    Right now, we can only marry the faction leader. Maybe this was intended in order to avoid an excess of alliances if our family has too many members. However, you could limit these inter-faction marriages to 2 or 3.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,501Registered Users
    Not sure if this is a bug, or I just need to brush up on my history, but there's a "Hannibal Barca" character with the Hannonid dynasty in my Carthage campaign, even though I'm playing as the Barcid dynasty. Is this the famous Hannibal or a lesser known one? Either way, as he's a "Barca", shouldn't he be part of my dynasty?

• Trajan117Trajan117 Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    I don't know if this is a bug or not, but this panel appared in my Pergamon campaign. There did not appear to be any real choice between the two.

edited July 2018
    Itharus said:

That's not a bug or an AI shortfall. That's literally how OK plays.

OK is one of my most (if not THE most) favorite factions in the game -- DESPITE ALL THE HORRIBLE ROSTER GAPS AND SHORT COMINGS.

That said... you use a LOT of skirmishers. They were also known for this in history. When I form an army there are usually 6 or more units of peltasts. Usually 2-4 units of slingers or archers. I also bring the skirmisher cavalry. The majority of things in an OK army can throw javelins and have 2 or more of them. It's literally one of the defining traits of Thracian forces.

Historically, heavy infantry WERE famously defeated by a bunch of peltasts in a number of scenarios.

If you want to counter it, you need to bring cavalry and/or your own skirmishers.... or just a LOT more bodies.

IIRC Macedon has early access to some cheap shock cavalry (sarissa cav?) and don't they start with like a T1 or T2 military building? You should be able to get citizen cavalry very easily as well. Macedon is KNOWN for their cavalry. Just as Thracians are known for their skirmishers.

TL;DR: Bring Cavalry and a bit of skirmisher support of your own.

Also: Thanks for that last sentence! :)
    I have some cavalry and skirmishers (but they have many ranged units and they will decimate my cavalry even if I use them, because they spam these units and It's only my ninth turn in my Macedon campaign. (Honestly, I blame Sparta for this, they got me into this war.)
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

• acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Posts: 332Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    I got this bug playing Teutoberg Forest

• BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Posts: 639Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    Another suggestion:

There are several character traits represented by the same icon. For example:

- : Kind
    - : Good Looking
    - : Ambusher
    - : Rational
    - etc
    - etc
    - etc

This is not "user-friendly" because it forces the player to mouse over every icon to see what they mean.

I have two suggestions to solve this:

a) create unique icons with pictogram that allow the player to understand their meaning just by looking at them
    b) replace those icons simply with text (just like in Attila Total War).

Post edited by Boicote on