Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Stop territorial gains by sending diplomats on a missions.

VardanoVardano MemberRegistered Users Posts: 46
Hi!

I want ask for one fix or change, I don't know which one is correct to say. I really don't want to get a provinces from sending my agents on a diplomatic missions. It does not make any kind of sense most of a time and AI loses important cities for no reason. I personally want this feature to be removed since it is too abusive against AI. Thanks.

Comments

• MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,739
    And i like it, because its a way to annex satraps peacefully or get a certain region without war.

Simple don´t send the diplomats with the highest gravitas to a faction, from which you don´t want a certain region.

Problem solved.
  • BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 823
    edited July 2018
    IMO the outcomes should not be entirely random. When you send a diplomat, you should give him/her instructions about what you want from that faction. The diplomat may succeed or fail.
    Post edited by Boicote on
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,160
    edited July 2018
    Boicote said:

IMO the outcomes should not be entirely random. When you send a diplomat, you should give him/her instructions about want you want from that faction. The diplomat may succeed or fail.

That's a much better idea, I really like that!

I think the whole "send on diplomatic" mission thing needs to be better explained or reworked anyway.

To be honest, I think the whole faction Summary/Politics/Characters window needs to be overhauled. It's practically been the same since launch, and with all the new features that have been added since (which are very much appreciated by the way) it has become really unintuitive.
    Post edited by Whiskeyjack_5691 on
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,739
    Boicote said:

IMO the outcomes should not be entirely random. When you send a diplomat, you should give him/her instructions about want you want from that faction. The diplomat may succeed or fail.

Good idea!
  • TomiceTomice Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 355
    A peaceful way to acquire territory is great for immersion, IMO.
    It should furthermore be possible to integrate long-time allies into your empire, to increase the value of the diplomatic aspect of the game.
  • hoomhoom Registered Users Posts: 86
    I don't know whether to like or hate it.
    In my last campaign I received a pretty stupid number of territories via Diplomats, mostly actually really useful ones even.
    It helped my campaign a lot but it also felt kinda cheaty.

Possibly just needs some explanation/tooltips showing % possibilities of various positive/negative outcomes.
    I feel Diplomat missions should be tied in with Diplomacy somehow (not actually sure how).
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...
  • BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 823
    edited July 2018
    I totally agree with an integration between diplomatic missions and diplomacy. I already made a suggestion about this subject in this thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/222650/suggestions-for-future-updates:
    Boicote said:

- All diplomatic interactions with other factions should be carried out by character (from our family or opposition parties). It's unrealistic to have the faction leaders talking side-by-side instantly (there were no smartphones in this period :p ). For example, if you want to ask for a trade agreement, then you should send one of your characters to negotiate the terms. According to their Gravitas and/or Authority and/or Cunning, the mission may be successful or not. This system should replace the randomly generated outcomes from diplomatic missions.

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,422
    It does feel cheaty.

Maybe only make it happen if your relations are like... maxed out. There should also probably be some sort of cost. And it should be VERY rare.

I was playing Masaesyli and Rome randomly gave me parts of Magna Graecia. My relations were only about 50 with them (I had conquered the Libyans). This wasn't even that far into the game.

Come on... Rome? Giving up land?
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,354
    Perhaps this should be posted to the ancestral update support page? The devs seem to be much more active there
    Team Mercia

Team Picts

Team WRE
    edited July 2018
    Don´t send your diplomat with highest gravitas to them. No region will given.

Very useful to get regions from satraps or allies without declaring war.

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 21,487
    Moved.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 566
    Wait, can the AI do this to the human player?
    And, is this an intrigue option or an agent ability?
    Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester
  • hoomhoom Registered Users Posts: 86
    Its a random outcome of the Send Diplomat Intrigue.
    I've certainly not seen it go the other way, I'd say almost certainly it can't.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...
  • wolphyxwolphyx Registered Users Posts: 43

Boicote said:

Good idea!
    Some while ago I tried to change the critical success outcome of the send_diplomat action so that it would display a dilemma with some outcomes to pick. While the Dilemma triggered correctly, the hardcoded settlement giving also kicked in despite being removed from the outcome table, so there seems to be some hardcoded outcomes that trigger regardless of what's in the DB tables. I would prefer getting a choice on a critical success. Apart from that, the AI should never even consider gifting a settlement from a province it has already completed.
  • MetricTensorMetricTensor Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8
    This outcome is way, way too strong.
    Don´t send your diplomat with highest gravitas to them. No region will given.

Very useful to get regions from satraps or allies without declaring war.

• happycompyhappycompy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 355
    I don't like this feature either. Feels like an exploit more than a feature tbh.

I'll be finding a way to mod it out asap.
    HappyCompy's Rome 2 video emporium

Completed Campaigns:
    ETW: Italian States, Mughal Empire

Shogun 2: Uesegi, Date, Shoni

Rome II: Rome, Venetii, Bastarnians, Pontus, Athens

Attila: Franks (minor), Vandals (cultural)
  • VardanoVardano Member Registered Users Posts: 46

I don't like this feature either. Feels like an exploit more than a feature tbh.

I'll be finding a way to mod it out asap.

From what I have read, people say you can't mod it. Will you keep us updated please?
    Anyway, this is not a solution I want, I would like devs make some rational changes to this issue. I read on a different forums that many people also do not like this mechanic at its current state.
  • wolphyxwolphyx Registered Users Posts: 43
    @happycompy: Modding it out is easy. Just delete the Critical Success entries in the send_diplomat_table. Only problem: On a critical success, nothing happens and the diplomat just quietly returns without a message.
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 566
    I have send around 30 diplomats in my Egypt campaign and not got a single region so far, it seems pretty balanced to me. Do you experience the critical success too often? What makes the diplomat have more success chances?
    Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester
  • CA_GrimfeldCA_Grimfeld Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Posts: 291
    I'm going to look into the inner workings of this feature and intend to severely reduce the chance of it happening.
  • VardanoVardano Member Registered Users Posts: 46

I have send around 30 diplomats in my Egypt campaign and not got a single region so far, it seems pretty balanced to me. Do you experience the critical success too often? What makes the diplomat have more success chances?

As it was said here, it seems like diplomats with higher gravitas have higher critical chance. In one of my campaigns I received three cities only from Iceni which were my allies and they were stronger than me at the moment.

I'm going to look into the inner workings of this feature and intend to severely reduce the chance of it happening.

Thank you for answering. I wish this mechanic would be tied only to a factions who clearly losing against you so they would offer a territory in exchange of peace with them. Those kind of things happened a lot in a history. It seems like it would require additional coding but can turn out to be great.