Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What is difference between Falx and Sica?

MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 2,135Registered Users
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
I saw other topic that offering about Sica units for Illyrian. That remind me similar to Falx of Thracian. What is difference between them. If they are used same way and same animation, why CA can't add Sica to Illyrian tribe then?

SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

Comments

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,603Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    Give Balkan Factions their national weapon:
    Illyria - Sica
    Thrace - Rhomphaia
    Dacia - Falx

Aside from that, the Rhomphaia and Falx can cut Roman shields.
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • hoomhoom Posts: 83Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Illyria - Sica
    Thrace - Rhomphaia
    Dacia - Falx

Huh, is that truly the distinction?
    I was of the impression that Thrace/Dacia used Sica too as sword equivalent.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,221Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    jamreal18 said:

Illyria - Sica
    Thrace - Rhomphaia
    Dacia - Falx

^^^ the best answer you will ever find anywhere, really.

Some sources suggest that rhomphaia may have at times had even longer handles as well. If it were me, I'd go rhomphaia over falx, personally. Seems more versatile. 'Specially with a nice sica for backup :)

Kudos, Jamreal. I'd like that post 50 times if I could.

And yes... Illyrian and Thracian factions should DEFINITELY have sicas. They actually do have troops with the stats already there... I believe they have more AP and what not. Just no models. Boo.

Edit: due to cultural exchange, proximity, and overlap -- illyrians, thracians, and dacians honestly all had access to sicas, falx, and rhomphaia. Jam's right tho in terms of order of preference of use.
    @Itharus Look at the weapon Thracian Nobles carrying in their unit card, they are carrying rhomphaia with long handle as you mentioned.
    I know they are.

Re: Sicas, mouse over the swords their peltasts have for instance -- they have a special sword type (Ardiaei do as well, and I think some of the Getae) -- that's what I was talking about: they have stats but not models for those. I'm happy with the rhoms on the nobles and warriors :-P
    Itharus said:

I know they are.

Re: Sicas, mouse over the swords their peltasts have for instance -- they have a special sword type (Ardiaei do as well, and I think some of the Getae) -- that's what I was talking about: they have stats but not models for those. I'm happy with the rhoms on the nobles and warriors :-P

And proper animation as well. Falx and Rhomphaia can cut Roman Shields and even piercing their helmets.
  • Karoten2Karoten2 Posts: 176Registered Users
    edited July 2018
    In any way...
    These weapons deserve more representation in game.
    For me Pirates and Raiders /and balkan factions/ was one of biggest disappointment from Rome II

And from my little knowledge, sica was used by all - Ilyrians, thracians and dacians https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sica
    Yeah, Sica/Falx/Rhomphaia had a lot of overlap in the region.

You also had swords all over europe that were similar but varied.... the falcata and kopis are two examples, although those had less severe curves and wider blades.
    Threads are getting buried again... sigh...
    Yeah there was a weird change some time back in the forums that made it so that posts don't get "bumped" to the top of the forum anymore... they stay in their position and just get buried by newer posts.

I actually really dislike that system. Not sure if there's a sorting option to change that or not... if there is, I wish it were on by default.