Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Feedback on Internal Politics

ColestColest Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 24
The new intrigues feel more dynamic and I feel like I have much more ways to interact with the loyalty of my internal factions. I would offer three points of feedback though about what it feels like is a missed area of fleshing out and two bits of criticism about some of the intrigues:

1) The diplomacy of the outside world with internal factions feels extraordinarily limited. At most you have innate preferences baked in to the characters for diplomacy with a faction and you can have traits of them not liking entire cultures. I think this can be further expanded. If you take a full picture diplomacy approach to the internal factions I think it opens up many more avenues of interaction with internal politics. If, for instance, one of your rival families could attempt to court another faction to end treaties with you because they are not loyal. If if they are loyal they could bring back pre-arranged diplomacy deals that you can choose to accept without the ability to renegotiate or decline and cost yourself some loyalty with that internal faction. If you wanted to get more adventurous, when you dispatch characters outside of your family on diplomacy missions it could also be a catalyst for intrigues like this. Likewise, the player could be afforded the same for AI internal factions. You can create civil strife by making back-handed deals with a rival family in an AI faction or even spark a civil war that you financially or militarily back. The ability for the rival families to interact with the outside world would really tie the two worlds of internal and external politics together with much more synergy.

2) The hard-limit of 4 internal factions feels arbitrary. The option at the start of a campaign to allow a hard 4 family limit or a dynamic system of families to rise and fall in would be really appreciated. If families could fall from obscurity if their gravitas/influence is eclipsed too much by the other factions or if more families could periodically appear it could keep the politics aspect fresh. If I'm managing intrigues for 3 families and a 4th shows up traits that encourage a diplomatic strategy that I have set up it could completely alter the course of my game. Diminishing returns could put something of a soft cap on the number of internal factions so it doesn't become too out of hand but a new family or two randomly showing up (maybe a weighted percentage tied to wealth accumulation or imperium thresholds to simulate new upcoming nobles/novus homo families) would revitalize a political scene that can easily become stagnated if managed easily.

3) Bringing over the Governor system from Attila or something similar so that characters can gain experience through non-military means seems like a natural progression with this update. There are intrigues currently only available to politicians so I think it seems only natural that having the ability for a character to progress AS a politician would be a great way for us to interact with our faction.

Regarding the criticisms:

1) Some of the intrigues rigid focus on stats lead to situations that wouldn't make much sense to happen in reality. For instance, if I want to say adopt someone into my family that doesn't have a low enough zeal, I can insult him to lower his zeal and then adopt him the same turn. These actions don't feel like they should necessarily follow each other. That being said I don't know exactly what kind of alternative you could do to easily fix this. The first thing that comes to my mind is having loyalty on a character by character basis so that if you do something like that you can lower their loyalty to a point where the adoption can't happen but maybe there is an easily alternative.

2) Political intrigues seemingly always succeeding is a bit boring. The ability for them fail could add variety. For instance, I have a a rival faction leader with middling loyalty and traits that don't favor my current diplomatic strategy. The easiest route is to assassinate him and then do an intrigue to increase loyalty of the successor like secure promotion or something. This is a relatively full-proof strategy. It essentially leads to a "political playbook" of the best course of action in a given scenario rather than having risk and reward being something to way and each situation be dynamic and unique for the player. The ability for that assassination to backfire and instantly trigger a civil war or for the secure position to backfire and to heavily cost me loyalty with all factions for blatant corruption being made public as a risk could be weighed to me shifting my entire diplomatic strategy to make sure I have no risk of civil strife.

Thank you for taking the time to read this feedback and thank you to CA for the fantastic update. I hope the feedback makes sense and is something that can sharpen features or be expanded upon in further updates. If anything is a bit too vague I'd be happy to try to explain it another way to clarify.

Comments

• ColestColest Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 24
    I had forgotten to mention that giving the internal factions the ability to use intrigues would add variety as well. I have not seen them use them so I assume they don't currently. This would make their gravitas account for something and the events (like assassination plots) could happen more organically and give the player the ability to enact recourse (if a family attempts assassination you can potentially find out which family and punish them accordingly instead of it being arbitrary).