Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A Petition to make Attila Great Again

thereign83thereign83 Junior MemberPosts: 100Registered Users
edited August 2 in General Discussion
So it's common knowledge that Rome 2 has gotten a lot of love lately with three pieces of new dlc and ancestor update. Alongside of the release of TOB and Warhammer 2, CA has had a lot on it's plate and are probably doing the finishing touches on WH3 and 3 Kingdoms. Even though statistically Rome 2 has a bigger player base it has been a release with a host of problems that are well recorded. To CA's credit they have righted many of the wrongs that were Rome 2. Be that as it may Rome 2 will never be what most of the fans wanted it to be. To me Attila was Ca's first response to make up for everything that went wrong in Rome 2. For all intents and purposes Attila was a better game, avoiding many of Rome 2's pitfalls, perfecting a lot of its themes.

However, even though Attila was better it was by no means a complete game. It had its own share of problems which in my opinion should have been and could have been fixed long ago. To me Attila became a victim of Warhammer's breakthrough success more than anything else. There are a couple of things that they could have fixed would have made Attila one of the best historical title right behind Shogun 2 and Medieval 2. Some of the big ones like better optimization, the fixing of Hun Doom Stacks, Better diversity between faction uniforms and stats especially among the Germanic factions, and a small adjustment to the climate change mechanic.

All of us who love Attila and want it to be completed to the jewel we know it could be should definitely let CA know we are more than willing to accept updates and further dlc to complete this game. Before WH3 and Three kingdoms come out, the Attila crowd would like a bone thrown our way. To me this will help future historical title sales as we can come to expect future support for all titles that come our way. Please let your voice be heard below, say:

MAGA (Make Attila Great Again) sorry couldn't help it.
Cant stop the Reign :cool:

Comments

• Maciej1988Maciej1988 Posts: 15Registered Users
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 7,988Registered Users
    Rome 2 is not done yet.

Cheruscii is still not officially playable.

After they finish Rome 2, they can move to Attila. Don't worry.
  • DemcikDemcik Posts: 123Registered Users
    edited August 2
    It's getting a bit repetitive, but since people have finally realised, that Attila needs and deserves some love, then I suggest to put all found bugs/decent ideas here https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/1958108#Comment_1958108. And I wholeheartedly support idea for some content/patch for Attila, though I say definitive NO to wasted potential like Tetrarchy/Constantine or stupid and dumb ideas like Nomadic Factions DLC. And, MAGA!

Best wishes!
  • slapnut1207slapnut1207 Posts: 637Registered Users
    edited August 2
    I still want a Tetrarchy dlc since I don't want a campaign with the Romans being destroyed by barbarians again and the setting allows for a mix of third century and fourth roman uniforms, politics and clothing. I really wanted a prequel to the grand campaign.
    I would have liked it to be the crisis of third century but Rome II released Empire Divided. Also I want it because it features the rise and legalization of Nicene Christianity. It also might be interesting for some due to Arianism and Donatism. Armenia becoming Christian due to Tiridates III converting to Christianity.
    My completed (including campaigns that I consider completed) Campaigns:
    Rome 2:
    Gallic Roman Empire
    Seleucid Empire
    Aurelian's Roman Empire
    Attila:
    Eastern Roman Empire

Also add Eastern Roman Sicily to AOC.
    Rome 2:
    Gallic Roman Empire
    Seleucid Empire
    Aurelian's Roman Empire
    Attila:
    Eastern Roman Empire

• thereign83thereign83 Junior Member Posts: 100Registered Users
    The specifics of what they can or will add is all great and dandy but an acknowledgement of what their future plans for Attila would be as far as providing future content would be great! Come on CA answer! Will you are will you not MAGA!
    Cant stop the Reign :cool:
  • the_real_weedthe_real_weed Member Posts: 213Registered Users
    I don´t know why we need this thread? The other one has over 2K views and is still growing. It would be better, if we concentrate our effort in this single discussion to show CA what we want for the game.
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 1,890Registered Users
    The worst part of Attila; apart from the desolate and pointless feeling end game, are the hordes.

Absolutely no nomads worked like that (least of all nomadic empires), and migrations seem to have no point to them since everywhere turns into a barren wasteland.

One big reason that Attila is perhaps not getting attention is because its problems (especially with the GC) are much bigger and more fundamental than Rome 2, so even though its got more interesting systems, Attila also needs a lot more work to make it decent.
  • the_real_weedthe_real_weed Member Posts: 213Registered Users
    cool_lad said:

The worst part of Attila; apart from the desolate and pointless feeling end game, are the hordes.

Absolutely no nomads worked like that (least of all nomadic empires), and migrations seem to have no point to them since everywhere turns into a barren wasteland.

One big reason that Attila is perhaps not getting attention is because its problems (especially with the GC) are much bigger and more fundamental than Rome 2, so even though its got more interesting systems, Attila also needs a lot more work to make it decent.

I use a mod so that only nomads can raze. works fine for me. There are no barren lands outside the hordes area. The AI is colonizing very often.
  • Vargas78Vargas78 Posts: 21Registered Users
    More people would play Attila if it didn't have the worst optimization of the franchise. And now that ToB shows that the engine can be optimized, they really should do it. It would be a travesty if they didn't. I don't mind if it takes a while before they do it, as long as they do it eventually.
  • DerokDerok Posts: 6Registered Users
    Several things that could be done in the near future:

1) Partch update including the update of names, unites (Caucasia and Central Asia is Persian not unique)
    2) Caucasian States culture pack DLC
    3) Optimization of the game using the ToB system
    4) Announcement of campaign pack
    5) Family tree update with more feature in politicas and more historical characters to make game more realistic
    6) Update of Hunnic faction
    7) Red Huns FLC
    8) Introduction something like allegiance system and estates

and all this will MAGE
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 1,890Registered Users
    There's also a lot of basic stuff that needs to be fixed; from the messed up rosters that make no sense, to the boring end game where all territories seem equally worthless, to the hordes that make nothing but ruins and swing between steamrolling and dying out (and always go for elite stacks) to the weird religion mechanic which swings between pointless to underdeveloped (you're pretty kcuh forced into becoming a bigoted extremist in order to survive).

And the biggest tragedy is that this was such a dynamic period of history that the game could have been exceptional; allowing you to make choices that just aren't possible in other eras (such as remaking pagan Rome, or deciding between extremism or religious tolerance).

Yes, Attila is a tragedy, and one that could have been so much more; it could have exceeded Rome 2, but instead it's pretty much crashed and burned.
    edited August 4
    Also, CA needs to make sure the AI will resettle razed settlements. Also, if they add a Medieval dlc set in the 8th century, I hope they have the Bavand Dynasty as a playable faction
    Post edited by slapnut1207 on
    Rome 2:
    Gallic Roman Empire
    Seleucid Empire
    Aurelian's Roman Empire
    Attila:
    Eastern Roman Empire

• fredericmeyernfredericmeyern Posts: 131Registered Users
  • GreenKing1GreenKing1 Senior Member Posts: 547Registered Users
    edited August 5
    The main need in Attila is optimisation, It runs like crap with my system, GTX 1070, Ryzen 1500x @4Ghz, 16gb ram... can't get it to run smoothly on any settings. Until this game is optimised, I will never play it again.

+1 MAGA
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 4,764Registered Users
    Attila was never finished, this is true, it needs love in the same fashion that Rome 2 needs it.

That said, I hope they finish getting Rome 2 to snuff before any shift to Attila... because if R2 gets dropped like a hot rock for Attila -- AGAIN -- I think I'll lose my **** and flip out all over these forums.
    edited August 6
    Itharus said:

Attila was never finished, this is true, it needs love in the same fashion that Rome 2 needs it.

That said, I hope they finish getting Rome 2 to snuff before any shift to Attila... because if R2 gets dropped like a hot rock for Attila -- AGAIN -- I think I'll lose my **** and flip out all over these forums.

Honestly, I wish they would switch to Attila because Rome II is in a really better state then Attila. Attila is unplayable for me due to lack of optimization, Roman Legionaries looking unhistorically accurate with some lacking helmets and some wearing purple clothing and other issues.
    Rome 2:
    Gallic Roman Empire
    Seleucid Empire
    Aurelian's Roman Empire
    Attila:
    Eastern Roman Empire

• KwistKwist Posts: 39Registered Users

I want to see ,,Sarmatian Factions Dlc" with ,,Armenia Flc" and new interesting campaign.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,428Registered Users

Itharus said:

Honestly, I wish they would switch to Attila because Rome II is in a really better state then Attila. Attila is unplayable for me due to lack of optimization, Roman Legionaries looking unhistorically accurate with some lacking helmets and some wearing purple clothing and other issues.
    Same thoughts here

My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 4,764Registered Users
    Kwist said:

I want to see ,,Sarmatian Factions Dlc" with ,,Armenia Flc" and new interesting campaign.

You've got the Alani in the game at least. Probably my favorite faction in the main campaign.
    edited August 8
    Itharus said:

You've got the Alani in the game at least. Probably my favorite faction in the main campaign.

Yeah man, good point. And Alani can still be (and in fact should be) improved. CA did a decent job with overhaul, but there are still a lot of issues, I have mentioned them in the Ultimate Bug Thread.

With all due respect, people who want Nomadic/Sarmatian Faction DLC for Attila don't know what they are asking for. It is probably the most stupid, dumb and ahistorical idea for now (maybe with another Roman civil war in 3rd-4th century AD) and simply wasted potential. I don't want to repeat myself, the explanation for this was given a lot of times in this forum by many honorable users, if anyone want to know why, here is one of many answers: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/1998383#Comment_1998383 . TL,DR - want something with nomads in Attila? Ask for Hunnic/Alani improvement.

That being said, potential nomadic facions could really shine, if we would ever get End of Antiquity/Rise of Caliphate/Islam/Whatever-You-Want-To-Call-It DLC. There could be at least two already established nomadic factions (Avar and Khazar Khaganate), wandering Bulgars, the remnants of the White Huns, maybe some Turkish people on the northeastern border of the Sassanids/Caliphate.
    Post edited by Demcik on
  • KwistKwist Posts: 39Registered Users
    I wish that someday CA will add playable Armenia to the game. This faction have the potential to play it. Armenia should be Flc with some campaign or something like that.
    Kwist said:

I wish that someday CA will add playable Armenia to the game. This faction have the potential to play it. Armenia should be Flc with some campaign or something like that.

Armenia is a must! There are too many Sassanid copies in the East, and it is ridiculous as hell watching late Armenian/Kartlian/Abazgian armies full of war elephants/Sogdian camel warriors.
    edited August 9
    Oh yes, we need a playable Kingdom of Armenia that isn't a copy of the Sassanid Persian Empire!
    Post edited by slapnut1207 on
    Rome 2:
    Gallic Roman Empire
    Seleucid Empire
    Aurelian's Roman Empire
    Attila:
    Eastern Roman Empire

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 7,988Registered Users

Oh yes, we need a playable and a Kingdom of Armenia that isn't a copy of the Sassanid Persian Empire!

In Rome 2 as well. We need a playable and a Kingdom of Armenia that isn't a copy of the Parthia
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,072Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Let's all stick with the OP's topic of the discussion folks. Don't drift too far off into 'wishes and wants' for additional game play.

Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • DariosDarios Senior Member Posts: 409Registered Users
    edited August 12
    Make Attila Great Again!

I want a campaign scenario where Constantinople is at the center of focus with conflicts involving the Balkans on one end, and conflicts involving the Middle East on the other end.
  • ThomosiusThomosius Posts: 1Registered Users
    I think the political actions of Rome 2 would be even greater in TW Attila cause the byzantines had to deal with a lot of intrigues. For example there were power-hungry eunuchs ;)
  • MrYellowMrYellow Member Posts: 144Registered Users
    I am all for improving Attila! Truth be told ever since Age of Charlemagne was released i can not bare myself to play vanilla Campaign anymore as its hands down a wayyy lesser product.

I have a long and detailed list of improvements that could and should be made to Attila:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/325610/discussions/0/494632768630273246/
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

¤ ANTI PRE-ORDER AND DAY 1 DLC MOVEMENT ¤