Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War - Miniatures

TaranMTaranM Posts: 9Registered Users
Something that’s been on my mind for a while now - why don’t Total War sell historical miniatures?

With the 3D models, artwork and poses already designed for a multitude of units, along with all the historical accuracy they have put into it all, it seems like a no-brainer to me. The work could be easily licensed out to a 3D printing company, or alternatively they could partner with a miniatures company - such as extending their existing relationship with Games Workshop!

The Total War brand is well respected and has a large following that are interest e in history. With the Warhammer brand, I’m sure many miniatures enthusiasts have joined the ranks of Total War fans.

In any case, would YOU be interested in buying Total War miniatures to paint, pose and battle with on your tabletop? I know I would.

Comments

• GettoGeckoGettoGecko Posts: 803Registered Users
    Try google with "historical miniatures" and you will see why your no-brainer is a no brainer idea. There are already lots of companies who compete in that niche market.
  • TaranMTaranM Posts: 9Registered Users

Try google with "historical miniatures" and you will see why your no-brainer is a no brainer idea. There are already lots of companies who compete in that niche market.

And yet, none with the branding or huge fan base of Total War. Just because an industry already exists doesn't mean it's a bad idea to enter it...
    Something that’s been on my mind for a while now - why don’t Total War sell historical miniatures?

With the 3D models, artwork and poses already designed for a multitude of units, along with all the historical accuracy they have put into it all, it seems like a no-brainer to me. The work could be easily licensed out to a 3D printing company, or alternatively they could partner with a miniatures company - such as extending their existing relationship with Games Workshop!

The Total War brand is well respected and has a large following that are interested in history. With the Warhammer brand partnership, I’m sure many miniatures enthusiasts have joined the ranks of Total War fans.

In any case, would YOU be interested in buying Total War miniatures to paint, pose and battle with on your tabletop? I know I would.
  • lilsweetcaligulalilsweetcaligula Posts: 284Registered Users
    edited August 2018
    @TaranM

Sounds like a great idea! I would personally be interested in R2, Attila and NTW miniatures. Possibly M2TW and R1, too. But it ultimately depends on the quality.

My personal favorite Total War games chart:
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • slapnut1207slapnut1207 Posts: 675Registered Users
    That’s a good idea!
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

• FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 1,088Registered Users
    Given the working relationship with Games Workshop, a company that primarily makes and sells miniatures, it's a possibility. However it would be as a collectable, not armies due to the cost vs profit potential I imagine. Remember Warhammer Fantasy battle was popular for 30 years, it just wasn't so profitable. Hence why they killed it.
  • hoomhoom Posts: 83Registered Users
    There was a pewter miniature that came with Special Edition Med2

I may still have that in a box somewhere.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    wish Total War or Games Workshop would make like 12" action figures of legendary lords, id 100% get Malekith, Kroq-Gar and Tyrion
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,388Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to General Chat as not game specific.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,225Registered Users
    As said it doesn't fit. The WH side is based off models that GWS makes so doesn't fit TW to make and the historical ones are already made by a range of other studios. So it's not worth making. The extra cost just wouldn't make sense. Why would I buy a model from TW:minis for a 50% mark up when I can get twice as many from another?

Also it's not really great to use 3D printing for model making, small personal ones sure, simple ones ok but mass production tends to struggle and be expensive.
    Commisar said:

As said it doesn't fit. The WH side is based off models that GWS makes so doesn't fit TW to make and the historical ones are already made by a range of other studios. So it's not worth making. The extra cost just wouldn't make sense. Why would I buy a model from TW:minis for a 50% mark up when I can get twice as many from another?

Also it's not really great to use 3D printing for model making, small personal ones sure, simple ones ok but mass production tends to struggle and be expensive.

First point, of course TW wouldn't make WH miniatures to sell, that's not what I'm suggesting (did you even read the post?).

Second point, this idea that other people are already making some similar products so they're not worth making is an awful, awful point. New players enter existing industries all the time. They just need to do it better and smarter, and with the Total War brand behind it and a prexisting fanbase, this is a non-issue.

You do have a point with 3D printing. Probably not the best model to use IF demand requires mass production, but it was only one of the avenues suggested.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,625Registered Users
    You assume there is significant overlap between people who play historical Total War games and people who collect historical miniatures. I can’t say that there isn’t, but I see no evidence that there is.
    ò_ó
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,225Registered Users
    TaranM said:

First point, of course TW wouldn't make WH miniatures to sell, that's not what I'm suggesting (did you even read the post?).

Second point, this idea that other people are already making some similar products so they're not worth making is an awful, awful point. New players enter existing industries all the time. They just need to do it better and smarter, and with the Total War brand behind it and a prexisting fanbase, this is a non-issue.

You do have a point with 3D printing. Probably not the best model to use IF demand requires mass production, but it was only one of the avenues suggested.

the WH series is still a TW IP and just pointing it out, they have access to a company that makes models and yet not even done something like a TW special kit. If they aren't going to make a set with a company they work with why would they go a different route from scratch?

Second, it's not similar it's identical. Akin to saying why didn't GWS make their own TW:WH PC game? They don't have the set up for it and the market for it has a huge range. Where's the evidence of a fan base willing to buy it? And buy it at a large mark up? Why would I want to have to paint a TW army to fight a TW battle when I can play the game for the cost of the rule book?