Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Civilians

RollinsRollins Posts: 18Registered Users
Will there be civilians in Total War: Three Kingdoms? it was a great feature in Total War: Attila I don't know why they removed civilians from Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia they should add civilians in all upcoming total war historical games it adds realism and fun to the game you know it's nice to see civilians fleeing in panic, screaming and maybe some of them would defend his house and family and attack the invading army.

Comments

• frankguofrankguo Posts: 13Registered Users
    great idea,i do agree.
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 625Registered Users
    We saw them in Cao Cao's trailer, so it's a possibility.
    Sigmar wills it!
  • RollinsRollins Posts: 18Registered Users
    mahboi1 said:

I do hope so, also we should be able to attack the civilians with our army.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 836Registered Users
    Rollins said:

mahboi1 said:

Why?
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 625Registered Users

Rollins said:

mahboi1 said:

Why?

Sigmar wills it!
    mahboi1 said:

Rollins said:

mahboi1 said:

Why?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rollins said:

mahboi1 said:

Why?
    Because in any invading army there are always bad guys who would attack civilians in the city that's something happens in real life so that would add realism in the game, and you could be the good guy and don't attack the civilians or you could be the bad guy and attack them that's up to you and I saw them in Cao Cao's trailer getting killed by the army.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,204Registered Users
    It seems pointless to include attacking civilians in the game. You can just assume that is what happens when you sack or raze a city if you really want too.
    Krunch said:

It seems pointless to include attacking civilians in the game. You can just assume that is what happens when you sack or raze a city if you really want too.

It's not pointless to include this in the game it's something that adds realism to the game and you get the option to attack the civilians or to just leave them alone in the battle map, like I said before you can be the good guy or the bad guy if there will be civilians we should be able to attack them if we want to, like in Cao Cao's trailer.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,064Registered Users
    edited August 9
    Weren't civilians advised to take refuge everytime there would be sieges?

Isn't it better if its Sack or Raid.
    jamreal18 said:

There should be civilians in the battle map maybe hiding in their houses when you burn down their houses they get out and run away and some of them would defend their families and attack the invaders and other civilians would be fleeing in panic in their city you know like that because I don't like ghost towns.
    Rollins said:

Krunch said:

It's not pointless to include this in the game it's something that adds realism to the game and you get the option to attack the civilians or to just leave them alone in the battle map, like I said before you can be the good guy or the bad guy if there will be civilians we should be able to attack them if we want to, like in Cao Cao's trailer.
    In Atilla if you walk by a Civilian with a unit they will kill the civie anyway. There is no point to go hunting civilians mid battle when you have a fight to win. Like I said military actions like that are already represented by the Sack and Raze options.
    Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

In Atilla if you walk by a Civilian with a unit they will kill the civie anyway. There is no point to go hunting civilians mid battle when you have a fight to win. Like I said military actions like that are already represented by the Sack and Raze options.
    My point is to add civilians in all upcoming historical total war games in the battle map and not ignoring this feature because it adds realism and fun to the game I am talking about the battle map, not the campaign map I get your point that for example in Rome: Total War after you win a battle you get option to exterminate the populace but that's in the campaign map but like I said I am talking about the battle map and the civilians in the battle map. and maybe someone would like to hunt civilians in the battle map maybe someone else would just leave them alone it's ok either way every person is free to do what he wants in the game. and like you said you already can kill civilians in Atilla in the battle map.
    edited August 9
    Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

My point is to add civilians in all upcoming historical total war games in the battle map and not ignoring this feature because it adds realism and fun to the game I am talking about the battle map, not the campaign map I get your point that for example in Rome: Total War after you win a battle you get option to exterminate the populace but that's in the campaign map but like I said I am talking about the battle map and the civilians in the battle map. and maybe someone would like to hunt civilians in the battle map maybe someone else would just leave them alone it's ok either way every person is free to do what he wants in the game. and like you said you already can kill civilians in Atilla in the battle map.
    Okay, just do it like Atilla and add civilians to the campaign map that run around and either try and fight or run. There is no reason to implement civilian-hunting on the battle map. Civilians can be on the map and , but there is no need to have a "Civilian hunt button" or whatever. If you really want to do it just run an infantry unit over civilians. Like I said in ALL Total War games looting and killing is represented by campaign map mechanics, there is no point in a "Civilian hunting" mechanic, it adds nothing to gameplay.
    edited August 9
    Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

jamreal18 said:

There should be civilians in the battle map maybe hiding in their houses when you burn down their houses they get out and run away and some of them would defend their families and attack the invaders and other civilians would be fleeing in panic in their city you know like that because I don't like ghost towns.
    I'm all for adding civilians who run around the battle map and hide in buildings when troops get near. But adding the ability to actively order soldiers to attack unarmed civilians?... Yikes, even just saying it sounds wrong.

I know these games are all about waging war, and horrible, nasty things happen in war, but there are limits to what you can and cannot portray, man. I mean, you can go on about it adding "realism" and "immersion" all you want, but frankly: no bloody way, mate. That's just f*cked up.
    Post edited by Whiskeyjack_5691 on
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,064Registered Users
    edited August 9
    Rollins only want to see civilians running around. How about if attckers tried to burn some houses, some civilians taking shelter inside would come out and fight?

For me, I want to see civilians on the walls throwing stones/rock into scaling attackers on ladders or bracing the gate while attackers ramming the gate.
    Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Okay, just do it like Atilla and add civilians to the campaign map that run around and either try and fight or run. There is no reason to implement civilian-hunting on the battle map. Civilians can be on the map and , but there is no need to have a "Civilian hunt button" or whatever. If you really want to do it just run an infantry unit over civilians. Like I said in ALL Total War games looting and killing is represented by campaign map mechanics, there is no point in a "Civilian hunting" mechanic, it adds nothing to gameplay.

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

jamreal18 said:

I'm all for adding civilians who run around the battle map and hide in buildings when troops get near. But adding the ability to actively order soldiers to attack unarmed civilians?... Yikes, even just saying it sounds wrong.

I know these games are all about waging war, and horrible, nasty things happen in war, but there are limits to what you can and cannot portray, man. I mean, you can go on about it adding "realism" and "immersion" all you want, but frankly: no bloody way, mate. That's just f*cked up.
    I didn't say that there is a need for a civilian hunt button I said there should be civilians in the battle map and if you want to attack them with your army you will be able to do that just like in Atilla.when I saw Cao Cao's trailer I really liked seeing civilians fleeing in panic in large groups and some army men attacked them that what I would like to see in the battle map in the game it adds realism and immersion.
    edited August 9
    Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

jamreal18 said:

I didn't say that there is a need for a civilian hunt button I said there should be civilians in the battle map and if you want to attack them with your army you will be able to do that just like in Atilla.when I saw Cao Cao's trailer I really liked seeing civilians fleeing in panic in large groups and some army men attacked them that what I would like to see in the battle map in the game it adds realism and immersion.
    It doesn't add "realism" and "immersion". It adds nothing but shock value, an 'R' rating and bad publicity.

There's a difference between an NPC civilian armed with a kitchen knife running into a unit of troops and dying instantly, or actively ordering your troops to "go and kill these unarmed people over here".

For me, it crosses a line. I've said my piece, and I'll say no more.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I know this is a game about war, but desiring for the ability to go around and hunt civilians while you sack a city is pretty demented. I play Total War because I like moving lots of troops around in big battles. It is fun only because it is abstract. I don’t want realistic depictions of war. That would be disturbing and terrifying.
    ò_ó

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

Krunch said:

Rollins said:

jamreal18 said:

It doesn't add "realism" and "immersion". It adds nothing but shock value, an 'R' rating and bad publicity.

There's a difference between an NPC civilian armed with a kitchen knife running into a unit of troops and dying instantly, or actively ordering your troops to "go and kill these unarmed people over here".

For me, it crosses a line. I've said my piece, and I'll say no more.
    It does add realism because these things happen in real life and I don't want the game to be restricted I like freedom in games like if you want to attack the civilians or not that's going to be up to you I don't know what's your problem with this if you just don't want to attack the civilians don't attack them you are talking like we want to massacre real people it's just a game plus you can already massacre the population of a city in total war games after winning a battle like in Rome: Total War so you are ok with massacring people in campaign map but in the battle map you just don't like that right?
    edited August 9
    Warlocke said:

I know this is a game about war, but desiring for the ability to go around and hunt civilians while you sack a city is pretty demented. I play Total War because I like moving lots of troops around in big battles. It is fun only because it is abstract. I don’t want realistic depictions of war. That would be disturbing and terrifying.

There is no desiring for the ability to go around and hunt civilians it's something that already in total war series for example in Attila you could hunt fleeing civilians and kill them in the battle map and in the campaign map after winning a battle you can do more than that by exterminating all the population like in Rome total war .all I want is to bring back the civilian feature in the battle map in historical games and improve this feature like civilians running in large groups, some of them would defend his city and maybe some would be hunt down by the invading army that's what I mean.
    Rollins said:

maybe someone would like to hunt civilians in the battle map

Rollins said:

There is no desiring for the ability to go around and hunt civilians.

ò_ó
    edited August 10
    Warlocke said:

Rollins said:

Rollins said:

There is no contradiction in what I said if that what are you trying to say when I said maybe someone would like to hunt civilians I was talking about anyone who is going to play the game and there is nothing wrong with that because it's just a game. and killing the civilians isn't my point my point is to present the civilians feature in the historical games and improve it and make it realistic I am really surprised by your reaction it's just a game we just want to have fun and want to make it realistic as possible.
    Post edited by Rollins on
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 531Registered Users
    edited August 10
    Civilians should be limited to fleeing from their houses and the approaching army when it catch fire.

Having them(2 farmers) charge a mass of well formed troops with a pitchfork looks stupid, as is them taking leisure walks around the city as the walls get hammered down.
    Absurdities like those remove from the immersion rather than add to them.
    Post edited by Breadbox on
    Rollins said:

Warlocke said:

Rollins said:

Rollins said:

There is no contradiction in what I said if that what are you trying to say when I said maybe someone would like to hunt civilians I was talking about anyone who is going to play the game and there is nothing wrong with that because it's just a game. and killing the civilians isn't my point my point is to present the civilians feature in the historical games and improve it and make it realistic I am really surprised by your reaction it's just a game we just want to have fun and want to make it realistic as possible.
    I was aware that you were talking about hunting civilians in a game. There is an explicit contradiction between the two statements.

My point is that make Total War as realistic as possible would not be fun, for a lot of reasons besides the violence, actually.
    ò_ó
  • JudeTakerathJudeTakerath Posts: 99Registered Users
    I don't see much point. It might add realism (and one would imagine, once armies moved off the need to raid for supplies, that became less of a thing outside of sieges) but it risks controversy, possible age rating bump and put people off who want a level of detachment from the brutal realities of warfare. Civilians being seen fleeing before a battle or something like that, sure. Deliberately murdering of civilians? Probably not worth the effort to create.

Mind you if they do officer quests lines, Chang Ban will be an event they would have to think carefully how to implement.
    Warlocke said:

Rollins said:

Warlocke said:

Rollins said:

Rollins said:

I was aware that you were talking about hunting civilians in a game. There is an explicit contradiction between the two statements.

My point is that make Total War as realistic as possible would not be fun, for a lot of reasons besides the violence, actually.
    attacking civilians isn't my point my point is how civilians would work in the historical games I was talking about civilians defending their houses and fleeing from the city and even some of them would be brave and attack the invading army .on the other side some army men of the invading army would attack the civilians too and some of them would just leave them alone .so don't say I was talking only about hunting the civilians in the game. total war games already has violence in it like razing and sacking and exterminating populations.so if you don't like violence don't play total war games.
    Rollins said:

mahboi1 said:

You can have an opinion. That is fine. But stop lying about it, man.
    ò_ó
    Warlocke said:

Rollins said:

mahboi1 said:

You can have an opinion. That is fine. But stop lying about it, man.
    I am not lying yes I said we should be able to attack civilians in the battle map but that doesn't mean I love attacking civilians I meant that this feature should be in the game like I saw it in Cao Cao's trailer and like it was there also in Attila and like it was there in all total war games you know like razing and sacking to make the game more realistic you just got nothing to say and you want to play the good guy role if you really hate the horrors of war and hate wars don't play war games because even war between two armies is something terrible and waste of lives every life is precious it doesn't matter if the one who dies is soldier or civilian they are all humans and deserve to live. stop talking to me like I am a murderer it's just a game, man you make me laugh because you are talking like I want to murder real people it's just a game after all so just relax.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,236Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Let's stop the personal call outs on other members comments .. Derogatory comment have no place on the forum.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin