Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Installed Rise of the Republic Update and Now Rome 2 Won't Launch

hawke40hawke40 Registered Users Posts: 10
Hello,

I bought Rise of the Republic and installed the update yesterday and now Rome 2 won't launch.

As in, I can't even get to the launcher. It just says running, syncing, and then goes blank.

I've already tried reinstalling. Does anyone else have any advice? :(

I'm running it on Windows 10 and my game worked perfectly 2 days ago.

Comments

• hawke40hawke40 Registered Users Posts: 10
    I've also tried launching from Steam in offline mode and launching Rome 2 as an administrator. No luck.
  • CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative Assembly Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 1,016
    edited August 2018
    Hi @hawke40,

Issues like this tend to be quite varied, so I would personally recommend starting by heading to your Steamworks_Shared folder:

Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist

And proceed to install any and every installer within the 'vcredist' folder.

SEGA provide a guide on further lobotomy methods, however please note the folder they state holds the redists is now out of date, and you should use the folder I stated previously. https://goo.gl/BVxxNa
    FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Hi and thanks for the quick response @CA_Matthew .

I evidently do not have the "Steamworks Shared" folder. When I got to Steam\steamapps\common all I get are Rome II and Unturned.
    I just tried following the lobotomy steps but I'm missing some of the folder names in the appdata and others.
  • lilsweetcaligulalilsweetcaligula Registered Users Posts: 285
    @hawke40

Please make sure you are not opted in any Rome II betas in the game's properties in your games library in Steam.
    My personal favorite Total War games chart:
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • ca_dionissievca_dionissiev Registered Users, CA Staff Posts: 178
    hawke40 said:

Hello,

I bought Rise of the Republic and installed the update yesterday and now Rome 2 won't launch.

As in, I can't even get to the launcher. It just says running, syncing, and then goes blank.

Hi @hawke40
    Sorry for the trouble you are having. Some of the users are facing an issue with a missing MS redistributable package.
    Could you please try installing this:

https://microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Ivan Dionisiev
    CA Sofia QA Team

FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Registered Users Posts: 334
    edited August 2018

hawke40 said:

Hello,

Hi @hawke40
    Sorry for the trouble you are having. Some of the users are facing an issue with a missing MS redistributable package.
    Could you please try installing this:

https://microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Thanks!
    Which VCREDIST is it that we should download?
  • acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Registered Users Posts: 334
    Nope even after downloading patch 19 same problem.
    Hi,

Thank you so much @CA_dionisiev ! That fixed the issue! I'm only have a minor issue where the in-game option to buy DLC still lists Rise of the Republic as an option, but I can still play the campaign without a problem!

Thanks for the assist everyone!
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 22,159
    hawke40 said:

Hi,

Thank you so much @CA_dionisiev ! That fixed the issue! I'm only have a minor issue where the in-game option to buy DLC still lists Rise of the Republic as an option, but I can still play the campaign without a problem!

Known issue that is being researched. (I've had it myself!)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• MigzMigz Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 316
    edited August 2018
    dge1 said:

hawke40 said:

Hi,

I rather expect that that is the largest cause of the minor furor in the Steam forums where some players have claimed that they don't have the DLC and the game tells them that they have to buy it again. I expect that these players have all gone through the DLC menu, found that it incorrectly says that the DLC can be purchased and never went to the campaign menu to see if it was there regardless of what the DLC menu said.

Edit: although, I think that the number of people who've done that is much smaller than the number of people whose games aren't opening due to mod conflicts. That remains a constant with each patch.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 22,159
    Migz said:

dge1 said:

hawke40 said:

Hi,

I rather expect that that is the largest cause of the minor furor in the Steam forums where some players have claimed that they don't have the DLC and the game tells them that they have to buy it again. I expect that these players have all gone through the DLC menu, found that it incorrectly says that the DLC can be purchased and never went to the campaign menu to see if it was there regardless of what the DLC menu said.

Edit: although, I think that the number of people who've done that is much smaller than the number of people whose games aren't opening due to mod conflicts. That remains a constant with each patch.
    Mods not updated is most likely one of the biggest reason for game issues when an update is released.

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• cleve2009cleve2009 Registered Users Posts: 1
    For me, to get many of the Total War series games to run properly on Windows 10, I had to do a manual install of the DX9 components with this file from microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

I have tried all the suggestions, but that is the only thing that worked for me. It does not mess up your dx11 or dx12, it just installs the required libraries these games need.