Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Governors and Generals

Felix_CarnifexFelix_Carnifex Junior MemberPosts: 23Registered Users
edited August 2018 in Allegiance Update Feedback
There is currently a loyalty penalty for removing a governor from office (-2 loyalty for office lost) while removing a general does not confer the same penalty. I think that this penalty should be removed entirely.

There are times when you want to replace a governor with one that has better or more appropriate traits. You could have hired a governor who has good command starts, buffs unit stats and has a primary trait geared towards fighting because there wasn't one available that had governing traits ( bonus to farm, church or overall income) but down the line one does become available and you want to swap him out. Perhaps you want to build some traits for a character before they become a general by governing certain areas that offer specific traits or you want to build some general only traits for a future governor. I like to build up my heir's traits, stats and influence safely in a governor position before I assign them to an army so that once they do become King they will be on a similar level to the previous one. I also like to have generals who have some starts or traits built up before they lead an army so that they perform better in battles.

The current penalty of -2 loyalty needs to be reduced or removed as it does not makes sense that you can swap out generals with no penalty but doing the same for governors does incur the penalty.

Furthermore, I think that we should have more than just 3 candidates to choose from for governors or generals, excluding family members or any statesmen that may be around. This really limits your choice in who to appoint and usually you have three candidates who are all better potential generals than they are governors. It is also immersion breaking as I find it hard to believe that there are only 3 people in a kingdom to choose from for a position.

Comments

• KetermulsKetermuls Posts: 11Registered Users
    I'd honestly rather they remove the economic primary traits so that we don't feel pressured to fuss to get the perfect governor and encourage hybrid builds. In addition to removing the -2 penalty.

• Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    New traits are being added so that if either a governor or general is removed from their position they get a trait reflecting this. These traits will give loyalty penalties, and the old ex-governor loyalty factor is being removed as the new traits effectively replace it.

The number of candidates is limited for memory and performance reasons, the number of characters in a campaign has a big impact on both so we limit how many candidates are given to keep it under control.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Felix_CarnifexFelix_Carnifex Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply Jack! (Big fan of your RTW and MTW mods!!)

While I still think that the loyalty penalty from removing a character from a general or governor position will be counter to kingdom management, given that there are only 3 candidates to choose from plus any family members and the right candidate may not be available for the intended position, I am intrigued to see how this trait system shakes out.

Follow up question, would there be a way to allow for re-rolls on one of the candidates when choosing from the pool? For example, you have 3 candidates who all have a melee bonus but you want a governor who has an economic trait, you click on one of the candidates and hit the "re-roll" (probably a better term for this) button and see who you get. Hopefully he will be economically focused but may not and you can only do the re-roll once or twice per turn.

Would it also be possible to have separate pools of governors and generals or would this hit the memory limit as well?
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Yes having separate pools is the same as just allowing more candidates so it would run into the same problems. Candidates exist until they're recruited, there's no way to 're-roll' them.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Felix_CarnifexFelix_Carnifex Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks Jack, makes sense to me.
  • Yeol_the_ClumsyYeol_the_Clumsy Posts: 9Registered Users
    Is it possible to swap ruling governors without loosing the loyalty (-2)?
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users

Is it possible to swap ruling governors without loosing the loyalty (-2)?

If you just swap them, yes. As long as they hold office you won't get the penalty, even if you move them around. (This is under current conditions - there's been some talk of changes in the works)
  • Yeol_the_ClumsyYeol_the_Clumsy Posts: 9Registered Users
    I can't seem to swap them. What is the manipulation to swap two governors? When I try, one of them gets kicked out of office, and receives the -2 penalty.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users

I can't seem to swap them. What is the manipulation to swap two governors? When I try, one of them gets kicked out of office, and receives the -2 penalty.

Just reappoint the one that got kicked out, he should lose the -2 penalty when he's back in office. But like I said, new mechanics on this with the update coming tomorrow, so no guarantees how that will work.