Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Diplomacy seems broken

bridwatsbridwats Posts: 1Registered Users
So I'm playing as Mide on Very Hard / Legendary. I keep having to reload recent saves because it seems that everyone has it out for me with no reason whatsoever. People keep declaring war on me for no reason even when we have a positive diplomatic relationship.

Here is the most recent and atrocious example.

Sudreyar is in northern Ireland having a war with Ailech & Airgialla. They ask me for a declaration of friendship which I accept so that I can reign in the rest of the Island. as soon as my main army traverses down to my capitol to prepare for the war my only military ally Osriage (who I've had from turn 2-3) has brought me into they break the treaty THEY asked for and declare war on me.
In the same turn Connacht breaks a declaration of friendship i set up the turn after securing Sudreyar's and declares war on me. But the icing on the cake goes to my long time friend Osriage. These bastards break the military alliance we've had for 40 turns only 2 turns after they brought me into their war against the southeastern irish alliance led by Caisil.

Stupid war declarations out of nowhere like this have been plaguing me since the allegiance update on every campaign i've tried to start. I understand the random declaration from time to time with a neighbor that has a fairly neutral relationship. Nations need to expand somewhere right and we don't want the campaign to be boring right? However, it seems that something was broken in the update because things are just illogical now.

Has anyone else been experiencing these problems or know of a fix for it?

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 13,333Registered Users
    bridwats said:

So I'm playing as Mide on Very Hard / Legendary. I keep having to reload recent saves because it seems that everyone has it out for me with no reason whatsoever. People keep declaring war on me for no reason even when we have a positive diplomatic relationship.

Here is the most recent and atrocious example.

Sudreyar is in northern Ireland having a war with Ailech & Airgialla. They ask me for a declaration of friendship which I accept so that I can reign in the rest of the Island. as soon as my main army traverses down to my capitol to prepare for the war my only military ally Osriage (who I've had from turn 2-3) has brought me into they break the treaty THEY asked for and declare war on me.
    In the same turn Connacht breaks a declaration of friendship i set up the turn after securing Sudreyar's and declares war on me. But the icing on the cake goes to my long time friend Osriage. These bastards break the military alliance we've had for 40 turns only 2 turns after they brought me into their war against the southeastern irish alliance led by Caisil.

Stupid war declarations out of nowhere like this have been plaguing me since the allegiance update on every campaign i've tried to start. I understand the random declaration from time to time with a neighbor that has a fairly neutral relationship. Nations need to expand somewhere right and we don't want the campaign to be boring right? However, it seems that something was broken in the update because things are just illogical now.

Has anyone else been experiencing these problems or know of a fix for it?

No, they're acting like players now, breaking alliances when they see fit. Don't people always talk about how they want a "better AI"? Exploiting diplomacy as much as the player is fitting.

• billybob1billybob1 Posts: 37Registered Users
    Pedant incoming..
    *rein in
    *capital

But TBH, before I started playing, I was expecting the game to be more like this, as in, you have to make sure it's in each states interest for them to not go to war with you which means being stronger than your surrounding states, like a game of risk, and use their trustworthiness to gauge the value of diplomacy. If you're not stronger than surrounding states, then you should be able to get defensive pacts with similarly weak states to match another's power, that threatens you both. I found the game was happy to accept these types of defensive pacts when you are quite weak compared to a nearby large unfriendly neighbour. I can't remember though, it could just that I'd been friends with the small states for a while, but I think it was just because we were both similarly weak.

I don't know how they are deciding whether to declare war on the player though, e.g. whether it's a calculation of how much pressure you need to keep the game interesting at the difficulty level you selected, and then just selecting states by some method to try and take you on, or whether it's a truly independent calculation for each state if it's worth going to war with a game of risk (or other human players for example). But I hope it's at least worth having armies to "keep the peace" on certain borders like real life, instead of being able to just deploy every single army you have into blitzkrieg, and game the diplomacy system to keep it this way till the end.

I guess the fix would be lower campaign difficulty if you want to dictate the pace of diplomacy.
  • sCorsCor Posts: 98Registered Users
    edited September 25
    It's completely random. Every neighbouring faction has a 3% chance per turn to declare war on you. It doesn't matter if they are allied with you or not or what difficulty level you are playing on.
  • IustusIustus Posts: 5Registered Users
    sCor said:

It's completely random. Every neighbouring faction has a 3% chance per turn to declare war on you. It doesn't matter if they are allied with you or not or what difficulty level you are playing on.

Lol what. Is it a bug? Sounds like someone sabotaged this game because I really doubt that CA would include this in the game on purpose. I mean seriously, this surely is a bug.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,341Registered Users
    Just wanted to say - I recently had a faction declare war on me the same turn as they negotiated a friendship pact with me. As in, I ended the turn, watched a few AI factions take their turn, accepted the diplomatic offer, watched the rest of the AI factions go by, then got the pop-up at the start of my turn that they had declared war on me. Like I've said before, I'm all for more aggressive AI, but let's not have it contradicting itself on the same turn.

I'm not the kind of guy who figures out what's going on behind the scenes, but it really does seem like a random chance to declare war. This either needs to be modified by diplomatic status (lower chance, and having the chance blocked for a certain number of turns after friendly negotiations), or else run war declarations through the diplomacy system, and make it a chance for various levels of random rivalry modifiers. Or, maybe the best option, make it a random chance for various border dispute/diplomacy event dilemmas, where you could have options to take temporary penalties to PO/Loyalty/Influence (depending on the dilemma) or else face diplo penalties that could push you into war.