Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Should I upgrade my GPU and RAM?

LayzanLayzan Posts: 858Registered Users
Hi all, I love this game and have been enjoying it since release.

However as of late I have wondered if my PC's would benefit from a new graphics card and extra ram.

Currently I have:

i5-4690 cpu 3.50 ghz
8 gig ram
Geforce 970

I can't upgrade my CPU as I'll need a new mobo then I might as well get a new PC. Plus this is for two PC's of the exact same build I'll be upgrading at the same time.

But I can stretch to two new graphics cards: 1080 and extra ram: 16 gig.

Should I bother? Will it make any notable difference within this game?

Many thanks.

Comments

• corvocorvo Junior Member SpainPosts: 2,759Registered Users
    extra ram probably serves for nothing in this game,

I recently installed a new mobo and cpu and and now have a very noticeable high performance without changing my Card, wich is the same you have.

so... you should get a good i7 and a new mobo.
    Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force
  • LayzanLayzan Posts: 858Registered Users
    corvo said:

I recently installed a new mobo and cpu and and now have a very noticeable high performance without changing my Card, wich is the same you have.

I see, thank you. So I guess the upgraded GPU won't do much?
  • KelefaneKelefane Posts: 699Registered Users
    Nope because this game is more CPU dependent then GPU.
  • TheBlaze_64TheBlaze_64 Posts: 194Registered Users
    edited September 8
    Layzan said:

corvo said:

I just upgraded my gpu from the 970 to the 1080, and I've noticed a decent increase in tww2. Massive ones in other games, however.

The thing I've understood about this game is that its cpu optimization leaves much to be desired. That FLC lab we got a few months ago would be a good example of what the game would look like with better optimization.

With that understanding, what matters most is not how many cores you have, but the speed. Mine was already overclocked at 4.5Ghz, so my bottleneck was my gpu.

So, unless you exclusively play this game, I'd suggest the gpu, because it will benefit more than this game.

Also, it depends on your display, if you have a 4k 144hz monitor, get the dang gpu, because playing in 4k is strait up amazing with the 1080 gpu.

Edit: I also agree that ram will do absolutely nothing for you.
  • LayzanLayzan Posts: 858Registered Users

Layzan said:

corvo said:

I just upgraded my gpu from the 970 to the 1080, and I've noticed a decent increase in tww2. Massive ones in other games, however.

The thing I've understood about this game is that its cpu optimization leaves much to be desired. That FLC lab we got a few months ago would be a good example of what the game would look like with better optimization.

With that understanding, what matters most is not how many cores you have, but the speed. Mine was already overclocked at 4.5Ghz, so my bottleneck was my gpu.

So, unless you exclusively play this game, I'd suggest the gpu, because it will benefit more than this game.

Also, it depends on your display, if you have a 4k 144hz monitor, get the dang gpu, because playing in 4k is strait up amazing with the 1080 gpu.

Edit: I also agree that ram will do absolutely nothing for you.
    Thanks. Yea I will be playing other games too. I'm not using 4k a present.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,600Registered Users
    Upgrade the ram and GPU. The CPU is fine. Just overclock it.

RAM will help. It won't give you performance increase unless you get faster ram but realistically it will help your overall system multitasking. As in playing games and having multiple chrome tabs open, listening to music, etc.
  • corvocorvo Junior Member SpainPosts: 2,759Registered Users
    Layzan said:

corvo said:

That's correct, of course the better the card, the smoothest the game battles, but for example the number of soldiers in the battle it's heavily CPU-dependant, not gpu also turn times.

I recommend you intel core i7 8700k specifically, the price/quality worth it a lot.
    Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force
  • naishonaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,423Registered Users
    edited September 22

I know this is an older response, but I feel I need to point out that it is not the optimization that is the problem per say, its that the way code is handled in all computers. It is extremely difficult to code for multicores because if you are wrong it will break the game/project.

Multicore work best for projects where material information is not dependent upon other calculations. For example, take 2 frames of a film being encoded by an editing/film program. Frame 1 is not dependent upon frame 2 and both can be worked on independently without any information being required to move between the two.

the problem is that complicated information/interactions are not easily divided up. So let's take this setup. You swing a sword you hit an enemy and they collapse. In that sequence of events which can be easily given to a second processor? The sequence of events is interlinked. You cannot have the enemy collapse before being hit. So the swing then hit collision is calculated first and then the collapse. Now do this across an entire battlefield and you have the TW problem.

The even bigger problem is that even if you divide up the code to spread it out across lots of processors you will actually slow down the game because lets say the process is in core one and it looks like this. Core result 2 + Core result 3 = Core result 1. Before core 1 can act it must have the two inputs from cores 2 and 3. There is an information speed problem where if core 1 had just handled the entire process it would take let's say 1 second but because you have core 2 and 3 involved it now takes 2 seconds because core 1 is waiting and doing nothing.

Multicore only works for games when core 1 has complicated equation core 2 has a complicated equation and core 3 has a complicated equation and the two of them give the results back to 1 in the amount of time or less than core 1 could complete all three equations on its own. That is the TW bottleneck.

It's not an unsolvable problem but it is difficult and will not be solved in the short term.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
  • GreenKing1GreenKing1 Senior Member Posts: 550Registered Users
    edited October 1
    corvo said:

Layzan said:

corvo said:

That's correct, of course the better the card, the smoothest the game battles, but for example the number of soldiers in the battle it's heavily CPU-dependant, not gpu also turn times.

I recommend you intel core i7 8700k specifically, the price/quality worth it a lot.
    I recently upgraded to a R5 1500x, regret it. Does not perform well at all :(

Already looking at replacing it with an intel cpu. What would be the best intel cpu for total war games? Or is 8700k the best?