Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Abilities and Attribute Contexts: What do they do?

froloffrolof Posts: 289Registered Users
edited September 2018 in Medieval II: Total War
Warcry, Rally, Spearwall.. You've seen many abilities/formations and such. But what do they actually do? Do spearwall give raw stats or just the formation for "coolness"?

This is something that has quite recently erked me. After playing BOTET (Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times Mod) and Third Age 3.2 + Reforged (Lord of the Rings mods) for quite some time I have come across a lot of text and abilities with 0 context or explanation (some have it though, which is good). Especially Warcry. No real explanation there.

Same regarding descriptions for example "May charge without orders" What does it mean? You always need to order someone to attack or charge so what does it mean? and "combat bonus in forests" then? What combat bonuses does it give? How much? Is it attack or defense, or both? What about "Excellent Morale" then? What are you talking about, because I can't see a morale stat in the stats menu so what is poor morale then!? PLEASE TELL ME!!

Do any of you guys have an idea? So far I have gotten like 3 different explanations for Rally and Warcry. Some say for example that Warcry reduces morale but them someone come and say it increases attack. For rally some say it increases morale, some say it only increases the chance to return routing dudes to the front.

Comments

• wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Posts: 290Registered Users
    "may charge without orders" is actually quite precise. It means that a unit may attack without an order, meaning it starts running towards an approaching enemy even though you didnt ordered it. the rest idk ^^
  • froloffrolof Posts: 289Registered Users
    wunderb0r said:

"may charge without orders" is actually quite precise. It means that a unit may attack without an order, meaning it starts running towards an approaching enemy even though you didnt ordered it. the rest idk ^^

Never seen that happen. There's no trigger context for the player to understand that.

"the rest idk" That's exactly the reason why I really don't like this game. There's so much ignorance towards this game, it's sad. And that's not exactly the fault of the players.
  • CapricornianGoatCapricornianGoat Junior Member Posts: 38Registered Users
    frolof said:

wunderb0r said:

Never seen that happen. There's no trigger context for the player to understand that.

"the rest idk" That's exactly the reason why I really don't like this game. There's so much ignorance towards this game, it's sad. And that's not exactly the fault of the players.
    In the export_descr_unit file, if the stat_mental attribute for the unit says "impetuous". Then it may charge a nearby enemy unit without orders. Thats the only documented information available i know. The rest you may have to learn by observing and experimenting or asking others for help/input in the forums.

For someone to say "the rest idk", specially if the person saying it has been playing the game since 2012, it may mean that he cannot be bothered or do not want to spend the time to respond to all the things you said in your original post.

Be a little more observant as to how the game behaves and you'll be less ignorant and frustrated. For others like me, not knowing firsthand what to expect and just finding out as I go is what makes the game more challenging and fun.

If you want more responses to your posts, it will help to be nicer to people who respond to your post. So people will be motivated to respond. Afterall people who respond were just trying to help.

• froloffrolof Posts: 289Registered Users
    wunderb0r said:

frolof said:

wunderb0r said:

In the export_descr_unit file, if the stat_mental attribute for the unit says "impetuous". Then it may charge a nearby enemy unit without orders. Thats the only documented information available i know. The rest you may have to learn by observing and experimenting or asking others for help/input in the forums.

For someone to say "the rest idk", specially if the person saying it has been playing the game since 2012, it may mean that he cannot be bothered or do not want to spend the time to respond to all the things you said in your original post.

Be a little more observant as to how the game behaves and you'll be less ignorant and frustrated. For others like me, not knowing firsthand what to expect and just finding out as I go is what makes the game more challenging and fun.

If you want more responses to your posts, it will help to be nicer to people who respond to your post. So people will be motivated to respond. Afterall people who respond were just trying to help.

You misunderstand me clearly, I never insulted him. "There's so much ignorance towards this game, it's sad. And that's not exactly the fault of the players. " meaning that it's not really his fault that he probably doesn't know, which in my experience to find guidance has been definitely the majority.

And that's a problem, and I have already explained why that is a problem. Because you're left guessing what things does and you have most likely could been wrong the entire time. As a gamer myself, I'd rather prefer to know what things does so you can plan strategies (Which I am sure you understand that the Total War series has the "RTS" tag, meaning Real Time STRATEGY). Not for winning purposes, but for a clear understanding of the game.

If you feel like going for the guessing game, fine be my guest. But I'd rather understand what is going on rather than pressing an ability and then guessing what it does for it to be wrong in the end and I am left dumbfounded.