Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

With unit do you like better ? Dwarfs

DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,389
Hey everyone.

With unit do you like better of the 2 :

Canon or Organ gun.

And why.

Thank you !

Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

Comments

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 1,774
    I gotta have cannons. They smash enemy artillery and knock out big armoured nasties. I love organ guns, but I can work an army without them without grumbling like a longbeard.
    Grom comes. Elves quake. Grom comes. Dragons wake.
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,196
    they do different roles.. so if i HAD to pick id counter the race im fighting...
    Usually though I just play on the normal or hard difficulties and build completely lore / realistic armies....

Like it doesn't matter than I can afford a 20/20 stormvermin army or black dragon army.... I would never make anything like that ever because that **** is not fun at all to me....

a balanced force with its mix of normal, ranged, elite, specialty, etc is fun to me...
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    edited September 2018
    If i had to choose i would pick the cannon.

More range.
    Better against enemy artillery.
    Better against single entity models.

More overall uses.
  • RazmirthRazmirth Registered Users Posts: 2,225
    Organ guns all the way. Cannons are great for sure, but nothing is more satisfying than organ guns.

Put them on your flank and screen them with slayers or something. Watch them paste an entire unit of enemy knights in 1-2 volleys.

Once battle is joined, move them up and pivot the organ guns to shoot down the enemy flank. Thank me later.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,372
    Cannons have greater range, so in battles against things like Chaos with their Hellcannons they are a priority to me. Also, aren't they earlier to access than organ guns? By the time I can unlock the former, I've already got armies with cannons, so I end up never using Organs.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 19,235
    edited September 2018
    Need more info. Is this for MP, SP both, late game, against who. In SP they don't compete for the same slots.

Organ guns are funner though.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • hanenhanen Registered Users Posts: 375
    edited September 2018
    Organ guns vs WE. - Hard to dodge shots and enough range to stay out of range from WE shooting.

Cannons vs the rest. - Got great aim and a really good vs monsters, cav, chariots and decent vs heavy infantry.
  • BrakierBrakier Registered Users Posts: 1,528
    i did some testing whit dwarf cannons and other factions arty, and dwarf cannons stomps most to the ground.

so i have to say thier cannon.

• DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,389

Need more info. Is this for MP, SP both, late game, against who. In SP they don't compete for the same slots.

Why always the detailed comments from everyone xD

just, with unit YOU like better, don't care if it is MP or SP. I play only SP, so go for SP.

And no against anyone, just in general, I personally dont build armies against 1 specific race. I build my armies more global, so they are ready for any situation, not just 1.

Canons do a lot of kills, love them, reload is slow. (dont use engineer so far)

Its my first dwarven campaign, and I would say I aint the worst player, but I really wonder if Organ guns can compete with the canons. The canon is simple, easy to make and very accessible. I know this counts for a lot, I just want to know with one would overall preform better.
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • KlausTheKatKlausTheKat Registered Users Posts: 442
    Why not both? Pure gunlines of Engineers, organ guns, thunderers and cannons are truly a beautifu sight to behold. Even more so when they obliterate elite chaos stacks in seconds.

Cannons for anti-monster, anti-arty battery fire and having the range to ensure a defensive battle for the Dawi, Organ guns for deleting armoured infantry, chariots and cav.. (Well.. anything in range really)
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,462
    Organ guns are my favourite, but they are really bad against single large armour targets.
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,104
    Razmirth said:

Organ guns all the way. Cannons are great for sure, but nothing is more satisfying than organ guns.

Put them on your flank and screen them with slayers or something. Watch them paste an entire unit of enemy knights in 1-2 volleys.

Once battle is joined, move them up and pivot the organ guns to shoot down the enemy flank. Thank me later.

I would question the ability to flank cavalry with an artillery piece.... either the cavalry is mostly dead by the time you moved it, from the holding unit or the cavalry has withdrawn and charged somewhere else.

I build armies to fight anybody in campaign, so two cannon is more useful. I might add an organ gun aswell but I don't miss it if I leave it out.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,022
    Personally, I think both are fairly essential and I usually make sure all my armies have at least one of each. Though I think cannons are probably a bit more important from a strategic point of view as they can ensure that you have at worst equal range to anyone except the Empire which enables you to fight defensively. Organ guns are great for protecting or even denying a flank to the enemy though and I enjoy using them more.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

FrostPaw said:

Razmirth said:

I would question the ability to flank cavalry with an artillery piece.... either the cavalry is mostly dead by the time you moved it, from the holding unit or the cavalry has withdrawn and charged somewhere else.

I build armies to fight anybody in campaign, so two cannon is more useful. I might add an organ gun aswell but I don't miss it if I leave it out.
    What I mean is to have them on your armies flanks being screened by slayers. You’re not flanking the Calvary, your shooting them as they come towards your flank. Sorry for any misinterpretation.

Usually I have them set up like this and they destroy any flanking Calvary/skirmishers with a volley or two. The slayers soak up any ranged fire and do a great job holding down. Anything that comes for the organ gun. Then after
    Any Calvary or whatever has been beaten on the flanks, I move organ guns up just a bit, so I can pivot/turn them and they have a straight line of fire down the flanks of the enemy’s main battle line, which has engaged my dwarf troops.

Once they start firing, they just obliterate all infantry, armoured or not. And I usually keep 1-2 cannons as well and use them to shoot st large monsters or even Calvary as well. I think I have a video somewhere of the organ gun strategy vs vampire counts, wish I could show ya
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 19,235
    DarkLordD said:

Why always the detailed comments from everyone xD

just, with unit YOU like better, don't care if it is MP or SP. I play only SP, so go for SP.

And no against anyone, just in general, I personally dont build armies against 1 specific race. I build my armies more global, so they are ready for any situation, not just 1.

Canons do a lot of kills, love them, reload is slow. (dont use engineer so far)

Its my first dwarven campaign, and I would say I aint the worst player, but I really wonder if Organ guns can compete with the canons. The canon is simple, easy to make and very accessible. I know this counts for a lot, I just want to know with one would overall preform better.
    All good in the hood.

Organ guns are ideal for AP damage. I found they got a lot more kills than my cannons. Maybe you're using one better than the other? Cannons are somewhat fiddlier as they're only good against specific types of unit.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Registered Users Posts: 695
    I like the Organ Gun more and I always get more kills with it... BUT I always take both. The longer range of the cannon is necessary to ensure the enemy comes to me... then my Organ Guns can wrech everything.

In MP: I only ever play themed/ fun battles with friends vs the AI so it doesn't really count.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,305
    I generally don’t use either but when I do I use the Organ Gun. I virtually only use Stone Throwers (or Grudgethrowers as they were later renamed) and then a suitable amount of missile infantry. I’ve never felt like the Dwarf Cannon did anything useful on the table top that two Bolt Throwers didn’t do better and the Organ Gun always had a short range which I guess is why I don’t really like them here.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • AshantaiAshantai Registered Users Posts: 74
    Cannons are incredibly useful for sniping Hellcannons later on in the chaos invasions. Also for wearing down giants, spiders and whatever other beasties the enemy has.
    Organ Guns murder infantry and cavalry with horrifying speed. A battery of organ guns firing into a packed melee of black orcs will kill dozens.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 2,851
    Razmirth said:

FrostPaw said:

Razmirth said:

What I mean is to have them on your armies flanks being screened by slayers. You’re not flanking the Calvary, your shooting them as they come towards your flank. Sorry for any misinterpretation.

Usually I have them set up like this and they destroy any flanking Calvary/skirmishers with a volley or two. The slayers soak up any ranged fire and do a great job holding down. Anything that comes for the organ gun. Then after
    Any Calvary or whatever has been beaten on the flanks, I move organ guns up just a bit, so I can pivot/turn them and they have a straight line of fire down the flanks of the enemy’s main battle line, which has engaged my dwarf troops.

Once they start firing, they just obliterate all infantry, armoured or not. And I usually keep 1-2 cannons as well and use them to shoot st large monsters or even Calvary as well. I think I have a video somewhere of the organ gun strategy vs vampire counts, wish I could show ya
    Do link said video thanks!
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,902
    edited September 2018
    Every army I take has two cannons, two organ guns, and 1-2 more artillery. I can’t pick one as both are so fantastic. I had a single organ gun get over 600 kills. The cannons though absolutely destroyed enemy artillery and large units. The two are so different in role they should not be compared.
    edited September 2018
    Reeks said:

Razmirth said:

FrostPaw said:

Razmirth said:

Do link said video thanks!
    I have it on a replay I saved, I just don’t know how to get it to load or link to replay!