Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cathay

TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 1,981
edited September 2018 in General Discussion

I hope CA do decide to add them in game 3 inventing a unique roster, with the Dragon Emperor, I'd love to see what units they could come up with to flesh it out and have them possibly hire maneater ogre units.

I'm also interested in seeing other races unique to the culture. Clan Eshin, hobgoblins, vampire lords that could have fled there during the era of nagash

elves that have conalised there,the unusual beastmen around the area and cults to tzeentch.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cathay

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 34,570
    Cathay would make an excellent choice for the much needed human order race. Give them the 4th core slot CA.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

#JusticeForCathay

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,989
    the problem is that we pretty much "know" that game 3 map won't expand that much east.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • Lord_KamionLord_Kamion Registered Users Posts: 959
    Personally don’t think Cathay would work. Would need far too big an expansion to the map, assuming Chaos, Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs are the other three races.

On top of that, they have almost no lore (in comparison) and have had very little impact on the world. It would need CA to to pretty much invent an entire core roster.

Think Kislev would work way better. Would add some much needed diversity to a part of the world. (Order wise) and directly interacts with the other three races. Along with there being loads of lore, and units
  • SerkeletSerkelet Member Registered Users Posts: 911

Personally don’t think Cathay would work. Would need far too big an expansion to the map, assuming Chaos, Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs are the other three races.

On top of that, they have almost no lore (in comparison) and have had very little impact on the world. It would need CA to to pretty much invent an entire core roster.

Think Kislev would work way better. Would add some much needed diversity to a part of the world. (Order wise) and directly interacts with the other three races. Along with there being loads of lore, and units

I for one welcome GW and CA to completely make up lore and a unit roster for Total War Warhammer Cathay.
  • Omega_WarriorOmega_Warrior Registered Users Posts: 1,359
    Serkelet said:

I for one welcome GW and CA to completely make up lore and a unit roster for Total War Warhammer Cathay.
    They pretty much already have a roster. If you gather the mentions of their armies from the bits of lore there's more then enough to assemble a roster from

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/90ixaf/cathay_unit_roster_for_warhammer_3/
    Enforest said:

Kislev would make an excellent choice for the much needed human order race. Give them the 4th core slot CA.

Please don't misquote me. I said Cathay, not Kislev.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

#JusticeForCathay

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor

SiWI said:

the problem is that we pretty much "know" that game 3 map won't expand that much east.

No we don't. The leak was from a time before minor races where being considered. Of course the east wouldn't be there. But now things have expanded so could have the map.

SiWI said:

No we don't. The leak was from a time before minor races where being considered. Of course the east wouldn't be there. But now things have expanded so could have the map.
    They cut off a large part of the West anyway. Including Cathay on the standalone map but not ME wouldn't be at all unprecedented.

#JusticeForCathay

Forum Terms & Conditions

edited September 2018

According to the most recent map: https://i.imgur.com/65TL2q2.jpg

Cathay's great bastion begins about as far east as the Great Maw ends. Since the Great maw is so important to the Ogres it's almost certain to be in. Any further then that is Cathay land.

It's completely reasonable that the thirds game's dedicated map can feature the darklands and the east given the scale of game 2's map and not all of Cathay is required to be present in ME just as Lustria and Naggaroth were cut off as well.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 9,341
    Like it´s been said a 1000 times before but apparently not enough Norsca showed that CA can and will implement minor races so yes Cathay is indeed a possibility.

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,989

SiWI said:

except that the leak seem to about 98% right on what we have right now in Wh2 or better say "motal empires".

Sure you can hope that CA now adds another 30% on the map to make Cathy viable, but is not a bet I would put money on.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • EnforestEnforest Registered Users Posts: 2,382
    I would rather like map to be expanded by 15% to south to include Chupayotl as a starting location for Daemons and other major settlements, like Zlatan or Island Citadels, than overstretching it to the east to include Cathay.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • DerpyRoxasDerpyRoxas Registered Users Posts: 3,348

According to the most recent map: https://i.imgur.com/65TL2q2.jpg

Cathay's great bastion begins about as far east as the Great Maw ends. Since the Great maw is so important to the Ogres it's almost certain to be in. Any further then that is Cathay land.

It's completely reasonable that the thirds game's dedicated map can feature the darklands and the east given the scale of game 2's map and not all of Cathay is required to be present in ME just as Lustria and Naggaroth were cut off as well.
    Also, the Tower of Ashhair is literally on the Mountains of Mours. It would be a huge miss if CA don't at least put a visible landmark representing it in the mountains, at least, if they don't have way to put Cathay in.

Serkelet said:

They pretty much already have a roster. If you gather the mentions of their armies from the bits of lore there's more then enough to assemble a roster from

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/90ixaf/cathay_unit_roster_for_warhammer_3/
    Apart from their look, stats, and names. Unless you want a unit called ‘monkey warriors’

Why go so far afield when you have offical stuff for Kislev, and it fits in so much better to the existing world
  • AwesomeLionAwesomeLion Member Registered Users Posts: 1,281
    Give Kislev. Give Cathay. Give Nippon and Ind. Give us all.
    Total War: Warhammer <3
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,382

Considering how much land Game 2 incorporated, making Game 3's map include Cathay would be rediculously easy.

Also, Kislev is a lot weaker than Cathay, Bretonnia, and the Empire. For the other races, stomping Kislev is about as challenging as stomping Belgium was for Germany in World War 1.
    edited September 2018
    Currently game 3 has Ogres, Demons, and Chaos Dwarfs. Two evil races, one neutral. None of the type we know TWW fans play the most.

Cathay's in the perfect spot for inclusion, filling the order race slot, and providing a good amount of land. The Kislev argument is a non starter, both can be included, which takes what slot doesn't matter. One can be the pre-order the other a core.

#JusticeForCathay

Forum Terms & Conditions

• HappyBoomerHappyBoomer Registered Users Posts: 284
    Id rather see the bloody fish people...
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,645
    Would have been way better than 3K.
  • SbygneusSbygneus Registered Users Posts: 995
    Is not 3 Kingdoms game not enough? I say no to Cathay before 16 main races.

Considering how much land Game 2 incorporated, making Game 3's map include Cathay would be rediculously easy.

Also, Kislev is a lot weaker than Cathay, Bretonnia, and the Empire. For the other races, stomping Kislev is about as challenging as stomping Belgium was for Germany in World War 1.
    The game is already extremely slow. With massive turn timers. Unless them massively condense what area we have now, I doubt the grand campaign will be that much larger. Completely ignoring things like how do you fit Cathay on a map without including everything under it. So it’s the same dimensions.

Kislev is weaker, than the Empire. But that’s hardly a reason to not include it.

The Chaos Dwarfs are no where near as powerful as the Dawi.

Bret’s are much weaker than the empire, as are southern realms if we get them.

Welfs are much weaker as an army than either of their elven cousins.

And norsca are a minor chaos faction in comparison.

If we could have four balanced races (in world importance) that would be great....but we are really running out of races atm. Of the four mentioned Chaos Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, Cathay, Ogres. The only one that is on the same power scale as the Empire, Elves, Dwarfs, Vamps is the Daemons.

Fact is Cathay is just unimportant. Never more than an anecdote in the lore. Would seem odd to pick a faction like that, when Kislev (who have been in the lore frequently) are more easily added

Sbygneus said:

Enough what?

Cathay can only come as part of game 3, so all 16 races will be included. I assume this means you say yes and are for it. High five!

#JusticeForCathay

Forum Terms & Conditions

• TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 1,981
    edited September 2018
    I still very much want to see kislev im a big fan of them but I see that happening now before game three. I just feel having a large human presence to the east where ogre, chaos dwarfs and Deamons coming from the north would be interesting there was always mention of Cathay in the books and race stories and I always wanted to see there army's and envolvment with the ogres and skaven.

• Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,377
    Sbygneus said:

The only missing races are Daemons, Ogres, and Chaos Dwarfs, all of which will likely be one of the three main races for game III (depending on how you look at it). The question is... who will be the third, and what will CA do about DLC?

Like @Lord_Kamion said, Cathay is the only real powerhouse and significantly (although removed from the other races) after the 16 main races, and they have been around for just as long as the Tomb Kings. They have plenty of lore to build a unit roster, several characters, and they are no pushover. They held off an entire Daemonic invasion from the Chaos Wastes by themselves until Grimgore came and steamrolled them all with his OP Waaagh!.

Even with the possibility of Daemons being the four main races, Cathay still has a shot in the form of DLC.

Sbygneus said:

Enough what?

Cathay can only come as part of game 3, so all 16 races will be included. I assume this means you say yes and are for it. High five!
    I was thinking enough of Far East fantasy theme "for now". I can't imagine Cathay faction before say Ogre Kingdoms or Chaos Dwarfs, this would be just not right. I have nothing against Cathay faction as a later addition.
  • SerkeletSerkelet Member Registered Users Posts: 911
    Sbygneus said:

Sbygneus said:

Enough what?

I was thinking enough of Far East fantasy theme "for now". I can't imagine Cathay faction before say Ogre Kingdoms or Chaos Dwarfs, this would be just not right. I have nothing against Cathay faction as a later addition.
    What's wrong about far eastern fantasy? I personally find it as fascinating as any other civilization fantasy theme.
  • epic_159856902319aEGoFtUepic_159856902319aEGoFtU Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 91
    If Araby makes it into Game2 my bets are Cathay is guaranteed to be in Game 3.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total War fan since 2005
    Serkelet said:

Sbygneus said:

Sbygneus said:

Enough what?

What's wrong about far eastern fantasy? I personally find it as fascinating as any other civilization fantasy theme.
    I haven't said there was something wrong with eastern fantasy.
    Sbygneus said:

Sbygneus said:

Enough what?

As I said the only logical way Cathay is included is with those races. That's not even an issue.

#JusticeForCathay

Forum Terms & Conditions

• Wyvern2Wyvern2 Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    I'm firmly in the camp that cathay is highly unlikely. A far more reasonable "good guy" would be a faction like kislev, who actually had a full roster at one point. Cathays only real claim to fame is having a smidgen more lore than the even more obscure eastern factions. Sure there's some stuff that can be inferred/gathered from the minimal text, but you still have to create models, stats and unit purpose from scratch, it's not like norsca where probably ~80%+ of the assets are drawn from existing material at very least, and much of it has models+stats, including the various unique monsters.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw