Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Byzantine empire

JohntsiptsisJohntsiptsis Posts: 19Registered Users
edited January 27 in Medieval II: Total War
Guys im playing rome medieval crusades campaign.but i have a difficulty
with my byzantine army composition.can you give me any idea;should i use more varangians than swordsmans
Post edited by Johntsiptsis on

Comments

• CapricornianGoatCapricornianGoat Junior Member Posts: 35Registered Users
    The peak of popularity of the MTW/M2TW was over a decade ago. There's probably not a lot of us dropping by here now. So good luck on responses you may get.

I often play one of the Christian factions. I very seldom play the Byzantines. So my opinion is not really an expert opinion. Having said that here's what I would do.

i would choose Varangian Guards over swordsmen. Usually 6 of them supported by 5 Byzantine Guard Archers. My flanks will be covered by 8 Kataprachtois. And commanded by a general with good commander traits (eg command, dread, etc). Of course you can play with the numbers to your liking and style of play.
  • TallestdavidTallestdavid Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    yo! OK so it depend on whom you fight.
    they can fight any army they had to. historically they would match who they fight. but was more organized. like if they fought an horse archer army they would by this time did they same
    they were known to use ambush tactics for heavy cav so keep a hidden spear militia with archers. (creatan guard archers had spears and shields too)

kataphratoi are good all round with Armour mace piercers and historically had bows as well they were badass.
    shameful tagmata troops aren't all here. or the scototai
    byzantine had it all.