Adorbs

How to unlock all factions?

brinklehoffbrinklehoff Junior MemberPosts: 2Registered Users
edited September 2014 in Rome: Total War
Hey im having trouble unlocking all the factions on Rome Total War.Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Post edited by brinklehoff on

Comments

• Ace BlazerAce Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,909Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Make sure you back up your files.

Go to your main RTW folder and then go to the following folder:
    Rome - Total War/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign

In this folder is the descr_strat.txt file
    Change the top of the code to look like this;
    campaign imperial_campaign
    playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    egypt
    seleucid
    carthage
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    numidia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
    romans_senate
    slave
    end

Now you can play with any faction except SPQR and Slave. You could play as the Roman Senate but pressing certain buttons will crash the game, so it's better if you don't. And you can't play as the Slaves/Rebels cause it'll crash.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • LouThundersLouThunders Senior Member Posts: 312Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Ace Blazer wrote: »
    And you can't play as the Slaves/Rebels cause it'll crash.

You can. My game is version 1.5, and I tried to play as the Rebels. We can, and it's the most diverse culture you may find. I tried turning the entire ancient world to rebels, gives that old evil villain feel MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    Dealer in THUNDER and death! (Sorry Nappy!)
  • CorpiusCorpius Moderator Posts: 841Registered Users, Moderators
    edited August 2011
    I can confirm the rebel part, just don't be surprised íf weird stuff does happen to you during the game or having the game not launching at all.

With that disclaimer in place, my personal rebel campaign was as stable as the next (non-rebel) campaign.
    Total War Forums' Rules

"One loves one's fellow-man so much more when one is bent on killing him."
    - Captain Julian Henry Francis Grenfell, November 1914

Anything I say can and will be used against me.
  • JaclJacl Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    so, how do you unlock all factions without editing the game files ?
    "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour"
    Winston Churchill's famous "This Was Their Finest Hour" speech.
  • MindblankMindblank Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Jacl wrote: »
    so, how do you unlock all factions without editing the game files ?

Win the game once with any Roman faction, and then you can play any faction (except Senate and Slaves/Rebels).
  • LouThundersLouThunders Senior Member Posts: 312Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Mindblank wrote: »
    Win the game once with any Roman faction, and then you can play any faction (except Senate and Slaves/Rebels).

No, some factions would still be unplayable, such as Spain, Armenia, or Macedonia.
    Dealer in THUNDER and death! (Sorry Nappy!)
  • flamingryu30flamingryu30 Senior Member Posts: 884Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    i really wish you didnt have to edit the files to get macedon because my new computer is not letting me save the edits to the dest.strat file making it annoying for me to try and play my favorite faction
  • CorpiusCorpius Moderator Posts: 841Registered Users, Moderators
    edited September 2011
    i really wish you didnt have to edit the files to get macedon because my new computer is not letting me save the edits to the dest.strat file making it annoying for me to try and play my favorite faction

That's not your new computer, rather the new Windows version that doesn't let you do that. You have to give yourself permission to edit this file. To do this, go to the document (descr_strat), right click and go to properties.

This brings up several tabs, go to the tab security there you will find a user/group list. Select your username and click on the large edit button under this list. Now check the option (first one in the list) that grants full access to the document and you should be able to save the changes you make to descr_strat.

*note: some tabs/steps might slightly differ in their actual name, this was a translation of the steps I took with my dutch windows version.
    Total War Forums' Rules

"One loves one's fellow-man so much more when one is bent on killing him."
    - Captain Julian Henry Francis Grenfell, November 1914

Anything I say can and will be used against me.
  • Gordon003Gordon003 Senior Member Posts: 124Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Save the new folder as descr_strat1 then delete the original descr_strat. Then rename the new one as the old one is. So simple.
  • SystemNetworksSystemNetworks Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Why isn't it working? When I press Imperial Campagin, I see rebels, dacia and all other. But for example when i press dacia, it crashes!
  • dudemageedudemagee Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    I have RTW Gold Edition and I'm trying to unlock all the factions, moving them to the 'playable' list but I have a mac with Mountain Lion, and it doesn't allow you to change the file from read-only. You can't delete, you can't save over it. Copying it to the desktop and then moving it into the folder doesn't work. There is no 'properties' to modify security either. How do you get around this so you can play with Macedon for instance?
  • K-osdogK-osdog Senior Member Posts: 297Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    I've always downloaded a file from online, here's the link:

http://www.thomas-ney.com/rome/index_en.html

I've never gotten a virus from it.

Oops, just read at the bottom of the page it doesn't work for gold edition or the dlc's
  • Spartan_at_heartSpartan_at_heart Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    when i played as slaves/rebs, i didnt crash at all... hmmm
  • dpaul4547dpaul4547 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    I edited the file and still only have the factions i've previously unlocked. any ideas?
  • reediereedie Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    i have done this but for some reason when i try to do a new imperial campaign it just says 'please select an item from the list' when i click on imperial camaign... have you got any idea why?
  • onodrimonodrim Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    When I try to do this it just says "Access Denied" any idea how to get past this?
  • Vspv13Vspv13 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited June 2014
    I do as it says, but I have like a small prob, it says that I am denied acces, so how the hack do I fix that??
  • NamedNamed Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    edited June 2014
    You need to right click the file and go to properties, change read only to edit and after that you should be able to save it.

(Not 100% correct steps or names, but a bit puzzle and you should find it)
  • EmperorOfRomeEmperorOfRome Senior Member Posts: 555Registered Users
    edited June 2014
    Corpius wrote: »
    That's not your new computer, rather the new Windows version that doesn't let you do that. You have to give yourself permission to edit this file. To do this, go to the document (descr_strat), right click and go to properties.

This brings up several tabs, go to the tab security there you will find a user/group list. Select your username and click on the large edit button under this list. Now check the option (first one in the list) that grants full access to the document and you should be able to save the changes you make to descr_strat.

*note: some tabs/steps might slightly differ in their actual name, this was a translation of the steps I took with my dutch windows version.

Or just make a copy of the txt file, put it in the desktop, change the things, delete the original txt file, but the new one there then. Just make sure the new one has the same name. This worked for me.
    Pro gloria Imperi!
    edited June 2014
    when i played as slaves/rebs, i didnt crash at all... hmmm

Yes but it will only crash if you click senate or family and some other tabs.
    Pro gloria Imperi!
    edited June 2014
    Vspv13 wrote: »
    I do as it says, but I have like a small prob, it says that I am denied acces, so how the hack do I fix that??

Make a copy of the txt file, put the copy for example at the desktop, change the things, save (you can save because it is not in the original folder), delete the old one. Put the new one (from the desktop) at the folder, but make sure it has the same name as the original file. So not "....(1)" for example. EXACT the same name. I had the same problem, and this worked for me. I dont know if this works on mac.
    If this doesnt work try to drag the new file to the folder, and hopefully there will be an option so you can replace it.

If this all doesnt work try a mod. There are thousands of mods who will unlock all factions.
    Pro gloria Imperi!
  • BiscuitsBiscuits Senior Member Posts: 101Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    There's loads of videos on YouTube showing you how to unlock SPQR faction and slaves faction.

I've made a set of videos on my channel showing how to unlock them for campaigns as well as slaves for online battles:

[video=youtube_share;aXhEjP6q94E]
  • HeirofEnnisHeirofEnnis Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    Good man biscuits
    But while Ireland is not free I remain a rebel, unconverted and unconvertible. There is no word strong enough for it. I am pledged as a rebel, an unconvertible rebel, to the one thing – a free and independent Republic. - Constance Markievicz 1921.
  • CowmilkCowmilk Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    I still cant get on even with full access. Never mind thanks biscuits =)
  • MMushyMMushy Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited September 2014
    Tried doing as described.
    In the game, on the campaign screen only Macedonia and Pontus appeare. when I select either one of them and start the game, I get thrown out to the start menu again "prologue, campaign, etc"
    I have Rome Total War Gold Edition ver 1.5
  • irishronirishron Senior Member Posts: 1,408Registered Users
    edited September 2014
    Delete the map.rwm and start a new campaign?
  • MMushyMMushy Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited September 2014
    Tried that. Went to data/world/maps/base and deleted map.rwm

Same thing. Only Macedon and Pontus shows. When I click on either one, it just shows a slightly bigger map without any indication of home territory. Click -> and goes back into game selection screen again.

I was so looking forward to this :(