Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

insane difficulty- unreasonable allies

the_real_weedthe_real_weed MemberPosts: 215Registered Users
edited September 28 in General Discussion
First: i´m a long term TW player since Rome 1. I know how to play- i even win with WRE on VH/VH.- But what i´m doing wrong in this game?

I play as Mide on VH/VH or H/H. I can´t win. No matter what i try, in the same moment i beat one of my old enemys, another faction declares war on me. Even my best allies do this without any reason. I don´t understand it. How can i get around this ? I restarted my campaign several times now but i lose my food towns so fast and after that my army getting smaller every turn. Oh- and i have every 5 turns or so a civil war.

Do you guys have any tips for me?

Comments

• sunshinetroopersunshinetrooper Posts: 33Registered Users
    If you don't have a lot of territories, loyalty shouldn't be too hard to manage. Look at your characters, some from the start are terrible and need to be killed/assassinated, you can do this with in game mechanics or cheese it by making them a general and dieing against enemy AI.

I always suggest building up the granary, to unlock the agriculture tech, so you can more food per building, unlock villas and increase public order. Build a villa as soon as you can, as this gives you an estate with +2 influence, so keep that on your king and give out the other estates. You need to look at what is causing disloyalty, are you characters more influential than you? Use the politics faction to knock em down a peg, how about marrying them to someone who gives + loyalty, or just adding priest followers?

I completed Mide recently on H/H, I found I ended up having to go to war with the person who had no allies on Ireland and work my way around. With Diflyn, I was just opportunistic, and took or sacked land (if i couldn't hold it), when I could. Mide seem to be good at getting allies and having good relationships and PO is a piece of **** due to the high cross, I built em everywhere - always gets you towards the fame victory. Mind, Mide is a legitmacy faction which is less about total war and more about fame.
  • for_bretonniafor_bretonnia Posts: 1,616Registered Users
    save scum until you get the knack.

my theory is.... a lot of the things we think we need, we don't really need. in some cases it might be better to conquer territory you only plan to defend temporarily, and use it as a buffer. to slow the enemy. but dont invest too much in building up territory you can't realistically defend.

and in some cases you might just want to raze territory, if it is economically beneficial, or even if it helps to wipe an enemy off the map.

the bigger you get in this, IIRC the more likely chaos is to start coming onto the game, so controlling your expansion would seem to be key.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 14,334Registered Users

save scum until you get the knack.

my theory is.... a lot of the things we think we need, we don't really need. in some cases it might be better to conquer territory you only plan to defend temporarily, and use it as a buffer. to slow the enemy. but dont invest too much in building up territory you can't realistically defend.

and in some cases you might just want to raze territory, if it is economically beneficial, or even if it helps to wipe an enemy off the map.

the bigger you get in this, IIRC the more likely chaos is to start coming onto the game, so controlling your expansion would seem to be key.

You cannot raze in ToB.

• billybob1billybob1 Posts: 40Registered Users

You cannot raze in ToB.

You can, if you sack a settlement, and then sack it again, and again, you can completely devastate it, and send it back to level 0 - completely destroyed. It goes down a level for every sack after the first. It can be useful to do this at times.
  • noroknorok Posts: 12Registered Users
    After the last patch diplomacy seems pretty worthless. I stopped trying to do anything with it. When your closest, longest, and most intermarried ally declares war on you while you're both fighting a much larger and more powerful enemy it just defies logic. The best explanation I can find is that the AI code was written so that if you are A) less than or equal to their strength and B) at war with any other faction your chance of being declared on goes up 200%.

Strategically speaking in the early game try to choose the battlegrounds. Draw your enemy to a bridge, town, or capitol and then exploit the dumb battle AI into a choke point. Stack 6 levy units on top of each other in a choke and you can pretty much hold off 4k enemy though it will take you 30 minutes on 3x speed for levies to chew them up. AI does seem to suffer from recruitment pool depletion. You'll start a war and they might have 3-4 full stack armies but once those are taken out you'll only have to deal with a few new half-stacks over the next turns.

When it comes to loyalty make use of Hold Feast to give yourself a +2 influence boost and then buy the loyalty of your nobles. It's expensive but pays dividends through the game because characters gain loyalty to the royal family and keep their loyalty even if your leader dies.