Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Open letter to SEGA and CA, I am concerned about your recent company politics.

BlitzwingBlitzwing Posts: 3Registered Users
Open letter to SEGA and CA, I am concerned about your recent company politics.
Of turn people against your trademarks and drop support, because this leads to bad sales.

There have been recently some examples where "bad, wacky and weird choices"
did lead to less people buy your products and you stop support due to this.

Due to events in the last years, I am concerned about your future product quality.

-Aliens: Colonial Marines lawsuit, because the actual game did not live up to what was promised in pre-release promotional trailers.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-12-sega-agrees-to-usd1-25-million-settlement-in-aliens-colonial-marines-case

-I would like just for a sec to remind SEGA And CA about Stormrise and Whipselect debacle, because of Whipselect it was not properly controllable, most people who were in touch with that game did say to do something about it and you did nothing.
Development of the second patch was cancelled one month after release.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormrise
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/950861-stormrise/48740331

-ROME2 had an extremely bugged launch, not to mention the too massive amount of DLCs for Company of Heroes 2 and Total War games.

-DoW3 had an issues with, short shifted content "3 instead of 4 factions at launch", "MOBA gameplay" and bad representation of grim dark fictional 40K lore, like cartoony characters and wacky physics back flip jumping Gabriel Angelos. Due to bad sales, that did lead to support drop.

- Red Shell Spyware

-Denuvo controversy, that we still have like in recent Valkyria Chronicles 4

-All this resulted in a massive recoil & backlash by Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia, where we had rather minor issues, but still that sold so bad, as we see no real DLCs for it.

-And now next level, where ROME2 did get a downgrade for Historical accuracy.
We did get used already to: bugged launches, short shifted content, too many DLCs, questionable additional third party software. But now we cant even be sure, the game we did buy, wont be downgraded.

-It just doesn't look good for your developers,

Assign Relic to Age of Empires 4 was from start on a bad choice, Creative Assembly is at least more familiar with such setting, this did lead to Creative Assembly basically to end up in possible situation of Telltale Games, where they make too much too similar games. Having more time between Total War games with Age of Empires would have been a better choice, instead Age of Empires 4 has to compete next to Creative Assembly, who are going to do a historical setting too, also Age of Empires 4 as Windows Store only project had over 1 year a complete news and update silence.

-Your costumer communication goes in an alarming rate downhill.

Considering the situation of Dawn of War 3, released on 27. April 2017, just 4 month later to announce Age of Empires IV First on August 21, 2017, was really bad idea.

Later there was an official statement from Relic in December 2017 about content that was promised to be delivered in February. Here Link to forum and Picture for proof.
https://community.dawnofwar.com/discussion/15481/my-thoughts-on-dawn-of-war-iii-in-its-current-state-and-where-it-should-go/p2
https://community.dawnofwar.com/discussion/15481/my-thoughts-on-dawn-of-war-iii-in-its-current-state-and-where-it-should-go/p3
https://imgur.com/a/TpBjlIR

As due to February 2018 announcement, it was not delivered and instead Relic told, it abandons plans for additional Dawn of War 3 content, of course several people did write they were not happy about it and did remind of a promise that been said from officials just 2 month ago. Relic did than closed and removed lots of threads and bann several people from home and steam forums, with statements like "its not constructive and your behaviour is anti company"

-Now we see even worse Situation with CA: Where Creative Assembly due to their actions started a controversy about their products. It doesn't matter what it was about, but lets take a look.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/214950/discussions/0/1735465524721186900/

So I assume by the official statement, its something about appear of female generals and it should be by default between 10% and 15%. But is that statement right?

OK so let's take simply a look in the game and make some screenshots.
here what I do get at start:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524756173

you have for example by Britain right at the beginning 7 people for generals, 2 are girls, (direct start of the game, did not marry any general)

let calculate a little, in mathematics and numbers we can trust 100/(7/2)= 28.57%

I do calculate here at least 28% what is higher than 15%
let's check for security by calculating back 2/28,57 * 100%= 7

Ok its just by 1 faction, so lets take a look at this one, same condition right at start of the game 6 male and 2 female generals = 8 people so 100/(8/2)= 25%
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524756233
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524756207

or this faction, same result 8 people so 100/(8/2)= 25%
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524769031
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524769071

So in fact the statement from community, that the appear rate is higher than from official statement, is true. So why was it so hard to admit there was a miscalculation, a malfunction or a glitch ? So basically business as usual, just another bug.

And here is the big problem, that's actually a little thing in the game, a small group of people were for quite some time talking about if they liked it or not, in games where we are actually used to worse glitches, crashes and malfunctions. Not so many people cared or knew at all. Considering how long the game is already out there.

The professional turn of actions would have been to say nothing at this point.
And the best to simply offer people later in game a choice how much historically authentic content/gameplay they want.

In the end, that's what forums should be about, to take a look what people might like and later on give them a choice to choose.

Instead Creative Assembly did decide to say in August/September 2018 if people don't like their new direction, they should not play and that they are not going to change. And goes even further to insult customers who disliked their game to be less historically accurate on other media like Twitter. Exactly such attitude was for quite some people simply the last drop and that's why it did unnecessary escalate, at certain stage you did leave your customers no other choice, than to speak out.

-Can it go even more worse than this? Actually yes, as recent new game Valkyria Chronicles 4 is as game itself accused to be unethical. Man I did love that series too,
what is happening with SEGA and their business partners?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vg24-valkyria-chronicles-4’s-sexual-harassment-problem-is-unacceptable-in-2018-read-op.70827/
Its getting worse and worse, it appears somehow each recent product has some kind of controversy and a nasty dark side.

-I do really miss the old and innocent times, where it was about a blue hedgehog run around, people be happy with the games they have and if somebody wasn't, you did simply let him speak out.

Just because a person does dislike some aspects of the product and post about it on forums, doesn't mean he is now your sworn arch enemy. If you see a developer to start make actions for simple dislike of his product, that is rather considered he tries to manipulate instead of moderate the forums. Worst case impression you can have of a company.

The true issue here is old, you are simply as usual bad at customer service, community management and communication, where you have zero to none damage prevention and damage control. And as there was an attempt to increase the demographic, you did turn a part of old one against yourself, by your own actions.

The problem I have as customer is simple, this all puts products I want to obtain into unnecessary crossfire. Right now, I do not expect from SEGA and CA to find a proper solution for it. And see them continue to loose more customers and loose more and more their credibility to make and maintain games.

The more such controversies are around your brands, the less you will be believable.
How do you think people will associate in near future any products of you and your business partners?

Thanks for your Attention Blitzwing.

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Posts: 1,021Registered Users
    People love to whine about things.

And now they have tools to be extra-whinny and get a bunch of people to whine with them (I mean the "Sexual Harrasment" claim in VC4 is a joke, people following blindly on it are the at the same level as the guys crying about barb female generals in R2.)

So that's the first point.

The second point is that : People, should, stop, talking, about, that, 15%.

It's 15% for CANDIDATES SPAWN RATE (afaik, feel free to correct me but I'm 99% sure that's it), as long as there is a women in your faction AND your faction can employ females as generals then you will see them in the recruitment pool. Is it a stretch to make 100% of the women in your faction into possible generals, perhaps. But nobody forces you to use them so can, people, please, get, over, it, thanks.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,587Registered Users
    None of what you posted here will ever be passed on to SEGA. That isn’t what these forums are for, nor how they work.
    ò_ó
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,586Registered Users
    I have an open letter to Blitzwing and friends -

It was your choice to waste your youth playing video games or reading comic books and what not, and end up being an unqualified jobless bitter obese loner. It is not the fault of womankind that they are repulsed by you. It is not the fault of imaginary SJWs that more qualified people took your job. If you want someone to blame, take a look in the mirror.

But it is not too late for you. Stop obsessing over why there are 10% more female generals in a video game. Exercise. Go out. Study. Work. Spend your time productively instead of being an useless leech on your parents and society. Your future is in your hands. Stop crying over video games, and get a life. Good luck.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,043Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • BlitzwingBlitzwing Posts: 3Registered Users
    Rewan said:

People love to whine about things.

And now they have tools to be extra-whinny and get a bunch of people to whine with them (I mean the "Sexual Harrasment" claim in VC4 is a joke, people following blindly on it are the at the same level as the guys crying about barb female generals in R2.)

So that's the first point.

The second point is that : People, should, stop, talking, about, that, 15%.

It's 15% for CANDIDATES SPAWN RATE (afaik, feel free to correct me but I'm 99% sure that's it), as long as there is a women in your faction AND your faction can employ females as generals then you will see them in the recruitment pool. Is it a stretch to make 100% of the women in your faction into possible generals, perhaps. But nobody forces you to use them so can, people, please, get, over, it, thanks.

1 Considering their reputation, it's not a surprise that people do rather believe the company did make something wrong again.

2 Well I think the problem is official statement does not properly clarify the situation.
    here is it again from steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/214950/discussions/0/1735465524721186900/

[quote=CA Ella]There have been no changes to recruitable female general spawn rates. But with the addition of the Family Tree feature and the new gameplay options it brings, playable factions may gain more female family members via marriage. If a player has their male family members seek a wife and get married, more females enter the family. This means more female characters may appear as recruitable generals, but again, only in those factions where female characters may be recruited as generals.

Female characters appear throughout the game, but have between a 10 and 15% chance of appearing as recruitable generals for some of the playable factions. The exceptions are the Greek States, Rome, Carthage and some Eastern factions, which have a 0% chance, and Kush which has a 50% chance. This is to broadly represent the cultural differences in those factions during the time the game is set.

These percentage chances are moddable by players. We've not seen a verifiable bug where this is shown to be different or not working as intended.

We have no plans to patch this out or remove this feature from the game. [/quote]

1 It does not say how high are the spawn rates.
    It does simply say it's the same and if you marry people you get more.

[quote=CA Ella]
    Female characters appear throughout the game, but have between a 10 and 15% chance of appearing as recruitable generals for some of the playable factions. [/quote]

So in my understatement it would mean how many girls appear without to marry them and in such case it would be max15%. But if people do start the game and look for themself with 8 persons and 2 of them are girls,
    its obvious to them at that the official statement wasn't true. Because its 25%.

I have an open letter to Blitzwing and friends -

It was your choice to waste your youth playing video games or reading comic books and what not, and end up being an unqualified jobless bitter obese loner. It is not the fault of womankind that they are repulsed by you. It is not the fault of imaginary SJWs that more qualified people took your job. If you want someone to blame, take a look in the mirror.

But it is not too late for you. Stop obsessing over why there are 10% more female generals in a video game. Exercise. Go out. Study. Work. Spend your time productively instead of being an useless leech on your parents and society. Your future is in your hands. Stop crying over video games, and get a life. Good luck.

Well as any person I do like to do in my free time, my hobbies,
    and don't like if company does endanger it with bad choices and wrong statements.

It doesn't matter for me what it was, day 1 DLC, bug or glitch.
    In my opinion it is a problem, if an official statement from a company isn't true
    and does lead to unnecessary controversy about my games.

And it does happen with Products of SEGA and CA quite frequently,
    so I am concerned about long term damage for my favourite franchise.
    Warlocke said:

None of what you posted here will ever be passed on to SEGA. That isn’t what these forums are for, nor how they work.

Any idea what to do or where to send, as I did ask on steam forum people did recommend me this page?
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,587Registered Users
    I guess you could email SEGA customer service directly, but no matter what you do there is a close to zero chance that anybody with the authority to make relevant descisions at SEGA ever learns that you exist or hears your grievances. You are really just wasting your time.
    ò_ó
  • Uh_OhUh_Oh Posts: 397Registered Users
    I didn't read your post but what exactly are you wanting to achieve
  • SAR689SAR689 Posts: 20Registered Users
    With the latest update of the game Rome 2, they overdid it. At that time, only Boudika led the troops out of women.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,182Registered Users
    edited September 2018
    Not me but a decent intro to women of this period:

Artemisia - She ruled the area around Halicarnassis and was an ally of Xerxes. In battle she commanded a squadron of 5 ships. She was most well known for very wisely telling Xerxes that attacking the Greek navy at Salamis was a stupid plan. In the battle she was by far the most effective Persian commander, prompting Xerxes to note 'my men have become women, and my women have become men' Source: Herodotus.

Artemisia II - Also ruler of Halicarnassis known for building the Mausolem of Halicarnassis, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. Source: Diodorus Siculus, Antipeter of Sidon.

Boudicca - I'm sure you've heard of her but if you haven't she was the leader of the Iceni tribe in Britannia and led troops to raze many Roman cities including London and Colchester. Source: Cassius Dio, Tacitus.

Semiramis of Assyria - Although she ruled about 400 years before Rome II starts, she's worth mentioning because historians throughout antiquity lost their heads over this woman. She crops up in Herodotus, Ctesias, Diodorus of Sicily, and Ammianus Macellinus. She was known for forging a new Babylonian Empire. Although mytholigised by these historians (a bit like King Arthur), she was the embodiment of a female ruler in the Hellenic and Persian worlds. Source: Herodotus, Ctesias, Diodorus of Sicily.

Cleopatra VII - The last pharoah of Egypt. She commanded the Egyptian navy as well as being a great politician (though not as great as Octavian obviously). Egypt generally had a lot of prominant women. Do note that there were 6 pharoahs named Cleopatra before her. Source: Appian of Alexandria, Julius Caesar.

Olympias of Macedonia - The mother of Alexander the Great, who ruled Macedon after his death before dying in the wars of succession after winning a couple of battles. Source: Plutarch

Arsinoe II - She was the Queen of Thrace and the Pharoah of Egypt in the early 3rd century BC. She ruled Thrace independently after she killed her Thracian husband, but fled to Egypt when she heard that said husband's friends had raised an army. Once in Egypt she married her brother Ptolomy II and became Pharoah. She was also a chariot racing champion. Source: Posidippus of Pella, Pausanias.

Julia Domna - The wife of Septimus Severus, her power outlived her husband. The emperor Caracalla requested her guidance on campaigns and she was known as 'Mother of the Camp' - a sign that the men looked up to her. She committed suicide after the army she was with was defeated by the Parthians. Source: Cassius Dio.

Julia Soaemias - Julia Domna's niece and de facto empress of the Roman Empire after she led an army from Syria to install her son as a puppet emperor. She was the first woman to be allowed into the Roman Senate. She was assassinated by the Praetorian Guard after her son proved turned out to be an all-round twerp and they snapped. Source: Cassius Dio.

Julia Mamaea - Empress Regent of Rome and Julia Soaemias' sister. When Alexander Severus was installed after Julia Soaemias' son messed everything up, he was a minor. The senate and Praetorian Guard turned to his mother, Julia Mamaea, to rule in his place. She continued to rule even when Alexander grew up, because he totally relied on her for advice. She was praised for bringing stability to an empire on the brink of disintegration. When she died along with her son, that stability ended and the Third Century Crisis began. Source: Cassius Dio.

Cartimandua - Queen of the Brigantes and a friend to Rome. She was deposed during the chaos of the Year of Four Emperors. Source: Tacitus.

Zenobia - You know her.

Livia Drusilla - The wife of Augustus and mother of Tiberius. When Tiberius became emperor he found himself being debated and sometimes overruled by this woman. In fact, he became so frustrated at her desire to control politics that Tibierius left her to it and moved off to Capri for a few years! Source: Tacitus, Suetonius.

Agrippina the Younger - The great-granddaughter of Livia. She was to Nero as Livia was to Tiberius. Nero got so annoyed at people seeking her advice instead of his that he tried to drown her, and then had her beaten with clubs in an alley when that didn't work. Source: Tacitus, Suetonius, Cassius Dio.

Livia and Agrippina are just two examples of 'powers behind the throne' - though you didn't see them in the senate or on the battlefield they did play prominant political roles behind closed doors.

We also have Tacitus' Germania, an ethnographic survey of the Germanic tribes. In chapter 7 he discussed how women would sometimes accompany their husbands on campaign, usually just as camp followers, but they did sometimes fight. He also noted that leadership was done on merit rather than through birth, and that gender was nowhere near as important to them as it was to Romans. He also noted that Nordic tribes were typically ruled by women.

From this it should be pretty clear that in Egypt, Celtic tribes and Germanic tribes, women could hold positions of power without enormous difficulty and that many of them led troops in battle, especially in societies where the lack of legal institutions and formalised power structures meant that there was no institutional patriarchy like there was in Rome or Carthage. Whilst I agree that in some instances there are too many female leaders avaliable (among the African tribes in the game there were only a couple of female leaders in antiquity, but in-game they play by the same rules as Egypt), you are also clearly underestimating the power of women in parts of the ancient world.

There's a great book called Women in Antiquity: New Assessments which you would do well to read if you are genuinely as interested in this topic as you claim.

Post edited by davedave1124 on
  • BlitzwingBlitzwing Posts: 3Registered Users
    Uh_Oh said:

I didn't read your post but what exactly are you wanting to achieve

I simply see here one of my favourite franchises to be badly handled.
    They are doing mistakes, that simply should not happen.
    There is nothing to achieve. I basically see this as lost case.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,632Registered Users
    edited October 2018
    I love hoe "recently" covers Rome 2 launch.
    Post edited by SiWI on
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892