Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

PC upgrade help

lskupien926lskupien926 Posts: 9Registered Users
So at he moment my specs are
Ryzen 1600X
GTX 1060 6gb
8gb RAM
It does ok-ish, but ive been thinking about and upgrade so I can put most if not all settings on ultra, the parts ive been considering

Ryzen 1800X
GTX 1080

Would this run the game at ultra, and which one shouldI get first(note my motherboard only runs Ryzen and a few other processors, no intel)

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,388Registered Users
    edited October 2018
    Zero point in the CPU upgrade.

Your only serious upgrade is to Intel. Nothing AMD has significantly better single core performance, and <5% more wont significantly alter the math. Adding more cores wont either.

A 1080 would be a waste of your existing 1060. It would get you to ultra okay, but you're replacing a same generation card, with the next generation here.

I'd live with the 1060 at least until the 20XX cards are widely available, and prices come down. Paying basically new prices for two year old video cards is unwise.

Doubling your ram and moving to a SSD, or even just a faster SSD, would be smarter moves than that gpu upgrade is.
  • lskupien926lskupien926 Posts: 9Registered Users
    psychoak said:

Zero point in the CPU upgrade.

Your only serious upgrade is to Intel. Nothing AMD has significantly better single core performance, and <5% more wont significantly alter the math. Adding more cores wont either.

A 1080 would be a waste of your existing 1060. It would get you to ultra okay, but you're replacing a same generation card, with the next generation here.

I'd live with the 1060 at least until the 20XX cards are widely available, and prices come down. Paying basically new prices for two year old video cards is unwise.

Doubling your ram and moving to a SSD, or even just a faster SSD, would be smarter moves than that gpu upgrade is.</p>

So if i was to upgrade to intel, which chip and motherboard would be the best idea to get?
    Your 1600X shouldn't need upgrading, it's not the bottleneck. You only see a large performance gap between Intel and AMD when you artificially reduce graphical quality well below what a very hot card is capable of delivering, and get your frame rates up beyond what the cpu can handle.

If you're only managing 60, the switch to the hottest performer available is only going to get you a couple frames extra.

It's possible, that if you were to get an RTX 2080 Ti, your CPU would become the bottleneck, but that card can run the game in 4k ultra at close to 60 fps, so you'd probably want to go to a 4k monitor to take advantage of it, which would probably negate the cpu bottleneck.

If you just have to upgrade anyway, wait and see how the next Intel release performs. The 8700k is the current gaming king, but it's about to be dethroned.
  • lskupien926lskupien926 Posts: 9Registered Users
    psychoak said:

Your 1600X shouldn't need upgrading, it's not the bottleneck. You only see a large performance gap between Intel and AMD when you artificially reduce graphical quality well below what a very hot card is capable of delivering, and get your frame rates up beyond what the cpu can handle.

If you're only managing 60, the switch to the hottest performer available is only going to get you a couple frames extra.

It's possible, that if you were to get an RTX 2080 Ti, your CPU would become the bottleneck, but that card can run the game in 4k ultra at close to 60 fps, so you'd probably want to go to a 4k monitor to take advantage of it, which would probably negate the cpu bottleneck.

If you just have to upgrade anyway, wait and see how the next Intel release performs. The 8700k is the current gaming king, but it's about to be dethroned.

I mean im just trying to get a consistent 60+ fps on ultra settings, ive heard plenty of things so idk really what to get
    Yeah, that's just your gpu.

As long as you're doing it at 1080p, the 1080 Ti is overkill, and should do the job at 1440p as well. As I said though, new cards coming, and the last iteration is still stupidly expensive.
  • doinwork34doinwork34 Technical Moderator Colorado, USPosts: 2,893Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators
    Check into your RAM first. Make sure your motherboard BIOS is updated and try to be at speeds over 3000mhz. Before Ryzen, RAM speeds did not matter that much if at all. However, with Ryzen, the faster the RAM, the better the performance. The sweet spot seems to be around 3200-3333mhz. But you really need to have an updated BIOS to make sure you are getting the most.

In any case, before spending money on a 1080ti or another CPU, I would simply make sure your running faster RAM to get the most out of your system.
    Good to go for Rome II! CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz GPU: GTX 760 4gb @1215MHz-RAM: 8GB1600 Ballistix TracerPSU: Corsair HX750w