Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

When someone says: "4 Chaos Factions in WH3? Impossible"...i reply: "ASININE MORTAL"

Comments

• LudboneLudbone Posts: 1,035Registered Users
    Goatforce said:

Wyvax said:

Okay that was hilarious (and I read that in Patrick's voice). Not gonna lie.

But there's two big problems with monogod army lists no one has brought up.

1) Say we have a Tzeentch monogod list led by Kairos Fateweaver. But what if I want to lead an undivided army with him as you can in TT and as he did in the lore? Will I need to rely on mods for that?

2) I'm playing Warriors of Chaos and want to confederate Valkia the Bloody and Tamurkhan respectively, but I can't because each of them are a different 'race'. What then?

1: Well I think we would get DoC at launch in game 3, and Kairos will be one of the lords, so you would be able to. In monogod scenario then you wouldn't, but lorewise Archaon led armies with Daemons, and he will likely never be able to - just the limitation of this game.

2: Simple, without monogod it is highly unlikely either Valkia or Tamurkhan will be in the game. Daemons will get probs 5 LL (one for each god and Be'Lakor), and barring an almost miraculously large addition of LLs to WoC (at least 1 for each god, more for Tamurkhan as he is more FW and thus less likely than other Nurgle LLs) it simply wont happen.

Whether Core (unlikely, unless only 2 core) or DLC, some of these characters will only come with monogods. Stuff like them and Daemon Princes (unless they are just used as generals for DoC instead of Greater Daemons) are unlikely to make it in, as however good the WoC overhaul with 3 (worth remembering that is still an assumption at this point, not confirmed) adding all this would be like adding an entire new race - probably more. Just don't see it happening tbh.
    Yeah that's the major problem with an Undivide Daemons-only roster. Dozens of units and LL from FW, armybook, ET, lore won't be in the game and this should be clear since the announcement of an Undivided Daemons race.

If i have to choose then i hope Monogods will be 4 DLC just like Vampire Coast or Tomb Kings. . .
    Beastmen: where is the love?

• JastallJastall Junior Member Posts: 917Registered Users
    The problem isn't that they can't do it, of course they can, it's that it would be silly of them to do so. There are only so many Chaos fans out there, and they will want to market game 3 to more people than them.

The monogod factions might be DLC which is a lot more realistic, but don't expect much more than a unified Chaos Daemons army on launch.
  • FakeEmperorFakeEmperor Posts: 485Registered Users
    There is another problem within DoC undivided at launch, it cames with Slaanesh deamons... Taking away blood and gore at launch grant to TW an age rating of 12+ , but if they fill the rosters with a (proper) rapresentation of slaaneshi deamons, with all their sexual theme... probably they don't want their main game censored...A DLC however is another story...
  • KronusXKronusX Posts: 1,342Registered Users

In all honesty, who wouldn't buy 4 fleshed out Chaos Factions. Fighting for your favoured god is pretty much one of the most demanded features for Warhammer!

a lot of people wouldn't, not to mention that a game ONLY with chaos means anyone that does not like chaos is automatically out . This also comes with a $60 tag. It is one thing to sell a dlc, it's another to sell a game with chaos only.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 1,811Registered Users
    I hope we get the the 4 monogods, would be absolutely awesome. But I also wouldnt mind united daemons as long as all units make it in the roster.
  • IconicIconic Posts: 342Registered Users
    The only way I would find Chaos interesting is as monogod chaos Legion armies with daemons and beastmen mixed in. Angry armour mans are just boring. (Beastmen, Norsca and Dawi Zharr are cool though)
  • TumbleTumble Posts: 401Registered Users
    How CA release any Chaos content is a mystery to me. Of course it'll happen somehow but how?

Chaos are already a dlc faction. If that becomes chaos undivided and the other four god aligned factions as headliners wouldnt seem right when there is an ancient dlc alternative which is pretty much the same. How do you solve thst people bought that dlc?

Maybe the obvious answer is to just make chaos an awesome faction with 4 god sub factions to pick from led by infamous god aligned lords, and chaos undivided is just considered a lord pack.

Chaod as four actual seperate races doesnt fly with me. Yes, CA can expand each gods army rosters to vary them from one another and still be full: especially if rollig daemons into them. But why would they? Horde campaigns are niche (putting it nicely). If WH3 released with 4 new chaos races it would tank. Its not a popular playstyle.

I'd bet that warriors of chaos and daemons of chaos come to the game as 2 of the 4 only.
  • GCRustGCRust Posts: 596Registered Users
    Please tell me I'm not the only one that had the Tattered Sails Shanty start up when they gestured to the Curse of the Pirates Cove outside.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 13,404Registered Users
    KronusX said:

In all honesty, who wouldn't buy 4 fleshed out Chaos Factions. Fighting for your favoured god is pretty much one of the most demanded features for Warhammer!

a lot of people wouldn't, not to mention that a game ONLY with chaos means anyone that does not like chaos is automatically out . This also comes with a $60 tag. It is one thing to sell a dlc, it's another to sell a game with chaos only.
    Or even to give a core spot to a monogod.

Game 3 should have Demons, Ogres, and Chaos Dwarves as its core, leaving 1 slot for an order race. Giving that to a monogod would exclude the majority of TWW players who choose order races.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Posts: 1,596Registered Users
    Mono God is not impossible.

Mono God's as the release races of Game 3 instead of Kislev, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarves?

Thats impossible. CA wouldnt have such a gross lack of business sense.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 4,884Registered Users
    *sigh* It'd been a while since someone stirred this argument up again...

Technically, it's feasible, as long as you're looking at mixed mortal+demon monogod rather than pure demon lists. But from a business perspective, it isn't a good idea. Not everyone is a Chaos fan, and despite the differences between the gods in flavour, each god's armies (especially if you include warriors rather than pure demon) have the same basic format: tough melee infantry, cavalry, and monsters, not much ranged. The biggest difference is Khorne going "no magic" and Tzeentch going "all of the magic, please".

I'm aware of the datamine, but something that the people pointing at the datamine always miss is that the datamine also labels Games 2 and 3 as Expansion 1 and 2. You could probably get away with a wholly Chaos-themed expansion. at $30-$40, and with an expansion you're not trying to bring in people who don't already have the game, so lacking a more 'normal' faction (Empire and High Elves are the most played factions in TWW1 and TWW2 respectively, after all) isn't an issue. For a full-priced standalone game, though, the economics and expectations are going to be different.

Honestly, the OP feels like a classic strawman. It lines up the easiest arguments to shoot down, while completely ignoring the real points made by the other side.
  • IconicIconic Posts: 342Registered Users

KronusX said:

Game 3 should have Demons, Ogres, and Chaos Dwarves as its core, leaving 1 slot for an order race. Giving that to a monogod would exclude the majority of TWW players who choose order races.
    You don't have to "choose" any race. You can play with all of them lol.
  • Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Posts: 370Registered Users

KronusX said:

And why even a single Monogod would be omgwtf terrible?
    Khorne + Ogres + Kislev + Chaos Dawi. There you go. And take into consideration Kislev is the minor faction here.

They can also add 2 Monogods aa core and Kislev or DoW as pre-order. All good.
    The problem are those silly whiners that will probably start to say "omg pre order is **** i am so angry and i will bitching like a hag".
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 2,516Registered Users
    Draxynnic said:

Technically, it's feasible, as long as you're looking at mixed mortal+demon monogod rather than pure demon lists. But from a business perspective, it isn't a good idea. Not everyone is a Chaos fan, and despite the differences between the gods in flavour, each god's armies (especially if you include warriors rather than pure demon) have the same basic format: tough melee infantry, cavalry, and monsters, not much ranged. The biggest difference is Khorne going "no magic" and Tzeentch going "all of the magic, please".

I'm aware of the datamine, but something that the people pointing at the datamine always miss is that the datamine also labels Games 2 and 3 as Expansion 1 and 2. You could probably get away with a wholly Chaos-themed expansion. at $30-$40, and with an expansion you're not trying to bring in people who don't already have the game, so lacking a more 'normal' faction (Empire and High Elves are the most played factions in TWW1 and TWW2 respectively, after all) isn't an issue. For a full-priced standalone game, though, the economics and expectations are going to be different.

Honestly, the OP feels like a classic strawman. It lines up the easiest arguments to shoot down, while completely ignoring the real points made by the other side.

And yet I find Kislev a faction previously not even going to be in the series at all and a minor faction something that's not going to be a launch faction. Not to say it can't be a fleshed out race that is fun but that's quite a jump that a lot of the other side hinges on. Or some funky half daemons here, half later and other very creative things. Nor does it mean the one side is ignoring those points sometimes they simply disagree. There was quite a chunk that said a Vampire coast dlc wouldn't sell way back when we were talking about what might. They said it was one of the ones that couldnt' be and that it certainly couldn't be 4 LL and then what happened?

So you have to come in and try to downplay all that CA can do while ignoring all that they've done with like factions. Norsca compared to WoC or now ZP compared to VC. Which all could have been extremely like the factions they could just have easily been minor subfactions for but they took it to the wonderful next level. So I find the mundane this is how it would go faulty given the current evidence that's out there. Oh Khorne would just be no magic, that's it. CA would dream up nothing else especially seeing they now have any and every army book to pull from, all white dwarfs, all other expanded books, other games under GW's belt for the WFB world, and novels. You have a myriad buffet of inspiration, but oh, that's all we're going to do just doesn't cut it as a logic point anymore.

KronusX said:

And why even a single Monogod would be omgwtf terrible?
    Khorne + Ogres + Kislev + Chaos Dawi. There you go. And take into consideration Kislev is the minor faction here.

They can also add 2 Monogods aa core and Kislev or DoW as pre-order. All good.
    The problem are those silly whiners that will probably start to say "omg pre order is **** i am so angry and i will bitching like a hag".
    Khorne and Kislev are both minor races. Neither have an army book.

The reason that would suck is obvious; it doesn't have Demons. There are 2 8e army books left, both should be cores of game 3.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • GerardofthetitanGerardofthetitan Posts: 424Registered Users
    It's fun when people don't even read the meme in a meme thread.

Still this old story about 'not enough material in their armybook'?
    CA created Norsca and Vampire Coast. Both have not even an armybook and they are successes.
    Vampire Coast is the perfect example of how CA can handle monogods.
    Curse of the Vampire Coast? It is in the Top 5 on Steam, 3rd place just with pre-orders...after 1 day of its announcement....and they have zombies, vampires, skeletons, Mounrguls and material from Forge World and Dreadfleet...and Vamp Coast is far less known than any monogod!

Give some credit to CA!

• IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I don't want to buy a game with most boring factions just to pay after the DLC for ogre kingdoms and chaos dwarfs. I prefer kislev as the fourth. The chaos team is the most childish angry stupid army out there. One daemon faction is more than enough.
  • Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Posts: 1,759Registered Users
    Id say Itll be Kislev for preorder Chaos Dwarfs Ogre Kingdoms Tzeentch and Slaanesh followed by Khorne and Nurgle as DLC then whatever else they want to throw on the back end. Possibly Silver Pinnacle faction and hopefully Cathay for those believers like myself.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
  • PowerofTwoPowerofTwo Posts: 27Registered Users
    Couple of things tho. As far as DoC are concerned, don't get me wrong i think it's criminal Daemons arn't in the game yet HOWEVER. I'd much rather see WoC split up into the 4 monogod factions with some shake ups to the roster to include daemons (Keep Archeon as WoC - chaos undivided LL, Sigvald can lead the slaanesh faction, fill the other 3 as needed) than have a stright up DoC faction. Simply because lorewise Daemons don't really roam the Mortal World, they are summoned into armies, sure, or otherwise pop up in areas with high Warp Taint, but they're very flash in the pan style - hop into reality, liquidize infect mutate or well... "slaanesh" stuff up and pop back out. Like what the hell would daemons do with gold?!

Secondly why are we talking about game 3 launching with 4 chaos factions when there's Ogres and Chaos Dwarves are nowhere to be seen yet :-/ I love chaos dwarves estethically!
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 3,992Registered Users
    Forget Sigmar. Praise Gotrek!
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 638Registered Users
    I don't see why people want 4 races. Why not one race, with 4 factions, each faction dedicated to a specific god, with its own LL and a few specific units?
    steph74 said:

I don't see why people want 4 races. Why not one race, with 4 factions, each faction dedicated to a specific god, with its own LL and a few specific units?

I really don't know. On the TT Demons were expressly designed to work together, far more than even Orcs and Goblins were. They're a chaotic horde, not neatly organized by colour. There's no real basis from the TT to make them separate.

What you described is what we'll likely get. One race with various stick/carrot incentives.
  • uriakuriak Posts: 2,891Registered Users
    technically feasible but I'm personnaly against. These boils to a lot of objective and subjective reasons but

- the DoC roster was meant to work as a whole, the way the Skavens are. You're supposed to have access to monsters/warmachines/assassins and plague units together. But for lore reasons people just want to split their daemons. Okay, only slow powerful brutes for khornes, only anvil units for Nurgle, glasscanons agile for Slaanesh and stuff for Tzeench.

- So when do we have Chaos dwarfs, Ogres ? People like those, too and honestly their gameplay will be way more diffrent than 4 sub chaos factions between them.

- people are already crying about the undead preference from CA. Yes, bring us the same chaos obsession GW has in their franchises instead. Its not as if they already blew their settings with the "you see chaos really would eventually win" conclusion.

Finally even if mechanically it's tempting to combine warriors and Daemons together for thematic armies, those maybe introduce later, in which form, I can't tell. But probably following horde gameplay alas.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 4,884Registered Users
    Nyxilis said:

Draxynnic said:

And yet I find Kislev a faction previously not even going to be in the series at all and a minor faction something that's not going to be a launch faction. Not to say it can't be a fleshed out race that is fun but that's quite a jump that a lot of the other side hinges on. Or some funky half daemons here, half later and other very creative things. Nor does it mean the one side is ignoring those points sometimes they simply disagree. There was quite a chunk that said a Vampire coast dlc wouldn't sell way back when we were talking about what might. They said it was one of the ones that couldnt' be and that it certainly couldn't be 4 LL and then what happened?

So you have to come in and try to downplay all that CA can do while ignoring all that they've done with like factions. Norsca compared to WoC or now ZP compared to VC. Which all could have been extremely like the factions they could just have easily been minor subfactions for but they took it to the wonderful next level. So I find the mundane this is how it would go faulty given the current evidence that's out there. Oh Khorne would just be no magic, that's it. CA would dream up nothing else especially seeing they now have any and every army book to pull from, all white dwarfs, all other expanded books, other games under GW's belt for the WFB world, and novels. You have a myriad buffet of inspiration, but oh, that's all we're going to do just doesn't cut it as a logic point anymore.
    *sigh*

Considering that a) I was often arguing against the people who said that Vampire Coast was unfeasible, and b) even here I stated that monogods are technically feasible, your shot falls way short of the mark.

I'm broad-brushing here because I really don't have time to go into deep detail, but the fact is that all Chaos denominations have the same broad style: primarily composed of melee bruisers that just want to get into melee, token if any missile support, and strong magic. Khorne's lack of magic and Tzeentch's magic focus (which, incidentally, means that Tzeentch armies are likely to have more ranged capabilities than other Chaos armies, even if it's magical in origin) are, realistically, the biggest distinctions between them in terms of how you'd use them: the Khorne army as no magical support (obviously) and the Tzeentch army is the only one where you might realistically be able to employ a stand-off strategy. That doesn't mean that there aren't other distinctions - Slaanesh being faster, Nurgle being slow but tough, and so on - but from a gameplay perspective, that's probably the biggest distinction.

A game with the four Chaos gods as the races would be like a game which is four different delineations of Elves... except they're all evil from the perspective of a casual onlooker*. Or, considering that you brought up VP, a game which is four different delineations of undead. Great if that's a concept you're in love with, but if not, it doesn't really have a lot to offer. If anything, it's worse than these possibilities, since elves, TKs, and VPs still have balanced lists offering the potential for using various tactics, while Chaos armies are largely limited to melee-focused tactics.

Putting out monogod lists as DLC? Sure! I'm sceptical that there's material to do so as purely demonic lists, but I don't think that's what most people are after anyway.

But if game 3 is a Chaos-exclusive, then I can see most people who aren't at least Chaos-curious (and even some of those) giving it a hard pass.

*Because I do not have the time or the patience right now for this to turn into an "are Chaos really technically evil" debate.
    Nyxilis said:

Draxynnic said:

That's what i'm talking about

• xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Posts: 91Registered Users
    CA is more likely to want to get the biggest amount of race variety that they can and getting the 3 remaining major races is the way to do it. Although 4 Chaos Gods can be done by taking material from all Chaos army books (and making some stuff up as Vampire Coast can do), it means the game is all Chaos and will have huge empty spots upon beginning in regards to variety and the map.

This quote also debunks a possible 4 Chaos God game:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/164869/total-war-warhammer-dev-blog-chaos-warriors-pre-orders-and-dlc/p1

"Also to say, Chaos Warriors aren’t the same as Chaos Daemons; we are treating them as separate, just like the tabletop army books. Later on in the trilogy, you will be exposed to the full horrors of the Realm of Chaos."

If they are separate like the their army books, then Daemons of Chaos must be implemented like their 8th edition army book. This means that they will be one race.

CA is more likely to want to get the biggest amount of race variety that they can and getting the 3 remaining major races is the way to do it. Although 4 Chaos Gods can be done by taking material from all Chaos army books (and making some stuff up as Vampire Coast can do), it means the game is all Chaos and will have huge empty spots upon beginning in regards to variety and the map.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/164869/total-war-warhammer-dev-blog-chaos-warriors-pre-orders-and-dlc/p1

"Also to say, Chaos Warriors aren’t the same as Chaos Daemons; we are treating them as separate, just like the tabletop army books. Later on in the trilogy, you will be exposed to the full horrors of the Realm of Chaos."

If they are separate like the their army books, then Daemons of Chaos must be implemented like their 8th edition army book. This means that they will be one race.

That statement is old and lot of things have changed now. Look at Campaign Packs and other stuff.
    Also the datamine points out that CA thought about 4 Chaos Races.

And again having 4 Chaos Races doesn"t mean all core races. They can come as DLC too.

Honestly at this point I'd prefer more interesting DLC than monogods, but if they're going to be in that's the place for them. There simply isn't a place for them as a core race.

Even as DLC it's meh, four flavours of the same thing. Why?
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Posts: 91Registered Users

That statement is old and lot of things have changed now. Look at Campaign Packs and other stuff.
    Also the datamine points out that CA thought about 4 Chaos Races.

And again having 4 Chaos Races doesn"t mean all core races. They can come as DLC too.
    The datamine is even older and is definitely out of date considering what we know about the game now (Skaven are not a dlc, races expanded with much more, etc). CA also knows that the series has been incredibly successful and can be expanded with far more than 4 Chaos Gods races.

Remaining Chaos God races could come as dlc but as long as Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarfs come before them. Some might be annoyed that they're missing key Chaos Gods though.