Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lore regarding on how Count Noctilus and Aranessa Saltspite survival?

Bronx9146Bronx9146 Posts: 1Registered Users
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
Since canonically Count Noctilus died on The Dreadfleet Novel. Is the Novel Decanonize and Noctilus/Aranessa won the war, Total War Warhammer II is set before the novel or new lore that might say Noctilus did die but he somehow revived himself or someone revived him while Aranessa was saved by Manaan?

Comments

• hanesdavhanesdav Posts: 796Registered Users
    We should not take this DLC seriously.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,134Registered Users
    Bronx9146 said:

Since canonically Count Noctilus died on The Dreadfleet Novel. Is the Novel Decanonize and Noctilus/Aranessa won the war, Total War Warhammer II is set before the novel or new lore that might say Noctilus did die but he somehow revived himself or someone revived him while Aranessa was saved by Manaan?

TWWH is the unoffical 9th edition, it writes its own version of events.
  • Lord_KamionLord_Kamion Posts: 957Registered Users
    Dreadfleet hasn't happened yet. It's set 20 years after Franz's coronation. So dreadfleet doesn't exist in this world.
  • NemoxNemox Posts: 2,691Registered Users
    Probably its own take on events. When Noctilus attacked Sartosa and killed Roth's family, the artifact (Moondial) and some other stuff was left with Roth's fathers corpse in the novel. Could be that Noctilus took it then and there.

Or more likely the game just takes these characters and tries to place them in a sandbox world with some degree of consistency.

GW weren't much better as back in 4E? you could have either Karl Franz or Magnus the Pious.

Nemox said:

Probably its own take on events. When Noctilus attacked Sartosa and killed Roth's family, the artifact (Moondial) and some other stuff was left with Roth's fathers corpse in the novel. Could be that Noctilus took it then and there.

Or more likely the game just takes these characters and tries to place them in a sandbox world with some degree of consistency.

GW weren't much better as back in 4E? you could have either Karl Franz or Magnus the Pious.

To be fair Magnus was around at a very important time, so there were a lot of battles taking place then. Major Dark elf invasion, chaos. Gift of Magic. Etc etc.

Nemox said:

To be fair Magnus was around at a very important time, so there were a lot of battles taking place then. Major Dark elf invasion, chaos. Gift of Magic. Etc etc.
    Don't get me wrong, he is a bloody good choice. One of the best Emps!

Just it shows Warhammer has always been loose with timing. CA have done a pretty good job trying to tie in so many different characters and their importance without it being too hard to believe.
    Nemox said:

Nemox said:

Just it shows Warhammer has always been loose with timing. CA have done a pretty good job trying to tie in so many different characters and their importance without it being too hard to believe.
    Yeah *cough* Vlad *cough*

Nemox said:

Nemox said:

Never doubt the power of popularity!
  • baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,202Registered Users
    I actually think that CA is reshaping Dreadfleet 20 years before.
    I think that Jaego Roth and the Golden Magus will be portrayed in some way or anlther with tgeir respective races (DoW and Araby)
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 2,109Registered Users
    Azhag's in the game so...
  • SaitohSaitoh Posts: 259Registered Users
    TW begins in 2502 when Karl Franz has just been elected Emperor. Dreadfleet occurs in 2522, so as far as TW is concerned it hasn't happened yet. This is also why Azhag (died 2515) is still alive.

Vlad and Isabella... well GW's policy has always been crunch before fluff anyway ;)
  • DeathboundDeathbound Posts: 90Registered Users
    I assume we'll find out soon-ish, but my guess is that they are not using the events of the Dreadfleet novel. Andy Hall wrote the original lore for Dreadfleet and did not write the novel, so he might just have his own preference for how events went down. Both the board game and novel were not super popular, so GW probably doesn't care if it's rewritten.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Posts: 5,545Registered Users

Nemox said:

Nemox said:

Who originally had the requirement of Razing Altdorf never mind that Vampires have their drive by resurrection in the Black Coach.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• endikuxendikux Posts: 473Registered Users
    GW nuked the Warhammer world. I consider the CA's continuation of the lore to be superior to GW's at this point.

GW threw away so much potential with Warhammer. It was a really cool world and CA is proving that to be the case.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,353Registered Users, Moderators
    Roth doesn't deserve to be in the same shoes as half the LL options for the Southern Realms. The Southern Realms aren't a bunch of pirates.

Who knows, though? I imagine both Noctilus and Saltspite are easy to explain when it comes to their presence. Noctilus is a vampire so he came back because they do that. Saltspite was saved by Manann.

Or it start before. Or who knows?
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour