Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New PC upgrade, need opinions!

GBRWarriorGBRWarrior Posts: 5Registered Users
So I have been playing total war for a long time now, and it's safe to say it's my favourite game franchise in the world.

However I've been playing the games on a 1050ti, amd athlon 880k and with 8GB of ddr3.
This isn't really enough to satisfy newer games or even hold big battles on the older ones with good graphics.

So the time is finally arrived when I can get an upgrade, have a build here but wanted some opinions as to whether it's a good all round rig? Thank you.

Comments

• naishonaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,425Registered Users
    Man. You are really going all out. That has got to be a $2k+ rig.

Yea, here is my suggestion. (if you have the overhead cost still left over) get yourself a 2TB mechanical hard drive for additional storage in addition to your 1TB SSD. 1TB is ok but games are increasing in size all the time. For example, I installed Assasins Creed Odessy that sucker is over 40gigs. Warhammer is almost 50 gigs for me. And If you play games like Warframe that is 23 gigs. I have all those games (plus many others) and lets just say that is 10% of your drive for 3 games.

So the idea would be to put load time sensitive things on your SSD (Total War) and non-load time sensitive games on the HDD plus any files you don't want to store on the SSD. (This is stuff like FPS, RPGs, music files, and other stuff like that).

If that isn't exactly in your budget cut the SSD in half to 500gigs and get that 2TB mechanical drive.

1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
  • GBRWarriorGBRWarrior Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you for the response!

That would make alot of sense, but right now I play a particular set of games that are yet to push 1TB, I was thinking of upgraded that when needed?

I've actually been given a quote for £1,400 for this rig including a 3 year warranty, an absolute steal if you ask me! My problem now is monitor, I definitely want a 1440p with G sync. Would the Acer Predator XB281HKbmiprz monitor be a good pairing with this?

Thank you!
  • naishonaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,425Registered Users
    Before considering it a steal. Have you done some price checking? Go to a place like NewEgg.com and check out the pricing of the parts.

Now that said, I might suggest passing on that monitor. It has G-Sync (which is good) it replaces the need for V-Sync by preventing tears in making the monitor refresh at the same rate as the GPU.

Here is the problem. The Acer Predator XB281HKbmiprz has a max refresh rate of 60fps. Your setup will have more than double that capacity. (Depending upon the game) One other thing. That monitor is not a 1440p or 3K but a 4k monitor of 3840x2160.

Its the Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27 that is 1440p And at its price lets just say (shesh)

The 1080ti should blow almost any FPS like that out of the water.

Try checking this video out to familiarize yourself. (the two monitors are from the same age group of 2015-16 as your monitor)

1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
  • GreenKing1GreenKing1 Senior Member Posts: 631Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    Currently, 8700k is going for around £400. You will get the same in game performance with the 8600k which you can currently get for £260. Then spend the extra money on SSD, the faster loading times are worth it.
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Posts: 781Registered Users
    naisho said:

Man. You are really going all out. That has got to be a $2k+ rig.

Yea, here is my suggestion. (if you have the overhead cost still left over) get yourself a 2TB mechanical hard drive for additional storage in addition to your 1TB SSD. 1TB is ok but games are increasing in size all the time. For example, I installed Assasins Creed Odessy that sucker is over 40gigs. Warhammer is almost 50 gigs for me. And If you play games like Warframe that is 23 gigs. I have all those games (plus many others) and lets just say that is 10% of your drive for 3 games.

So the idea would be to put load time sensitive things on your SSD (Total War) and non-load time sensitive games on the HDD plus any files you don't want to store on the SSD. (This is stuff like FPS, RPGs, music files, and other stuff like that).

If that isn't exactly in your budget cut the SSD in half to 500gigs and get that 2TB mechanical drive.

I would not recommend installing ANY games on a mechanical drive, especially if I was speccing a new PC. I would rather spend the extra and get a 2TB SDD. For me, a 1TB SSD is enough so far as I don't have 100 games installed at any one time.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)