Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

RANT: Oh, please...

Rath_DarkbladeRath_Darkblade Senior MemberPosts: 2,111Registered Users
edited November 3 in Rants and Raves
In regards to this thead, which compares the USA to ancient Rome.

Oh dear lord................. where do I even begin. :-\ I'm sure that thread will get locked very soon, as most threads to do with politics do. So because I wanted to rant about it, and because I didn't want my rant locked, I'm posting it here. :wink:

So I have some questions about this video, and they involve logic! :tongue:

Before we even begin - yes, of course both Rome and the USA overthrew a monarchy and began life as a Republic. The Founding Fathers of the USA revered Rome to such an extent that they based their new Republic on the Roman one. That's the whole point! :confounded:

And of course both Rome and the USA had financial difficulties from time to time, experienced outside emergencies, and appointed dictators for the duration of these emergencies. The Romans appointed Cincinnatus as dictator when the Aequi invaded in 458 BC, and Marcus Furius Camillus when the Gauls invaded in 376 BC. Both achieved military victory and then resigned the post (Cincinnatus held it for just sixteen days). Similarly, the infant USA appointed George Washington as C-in-C (not a dictator, but his powers over his militia were similar) during its own emergency against the British.

As for financial difficulties - of course they occur. War is expensive, and thank $deity$ for that. Make war cheap and it will happen more often.

Anyway, on to this video. It's video had only reached 30 seconds and already it told me that the monetary system (whatever that is) was responsible for:
1. Huge financial gyrations;
2. Inflation;
3. Loss of personal freedom; and
4. Out of control government.

After that, it ... excuse me, WTF? I'd listened to this thing for 2 minutes, and it jumped from the Republic at 500 BC to the Republic at Hannibal's time (starts 218 BC) and the debasement of the Roman currency to pay for war materiel.

At this point, I respectfully repeat: WTF? Were there no Roman wars between 500 BC and 218 BC? Like hell, there weren't. A quick look at the wiki-link shows at least 11 major conflicts during that time, including the two Latin Wars, the Roman-Etruscan Wars, the three Samnite Wars, the Wars with Gauls and Etruscans, the two Illyrian Wars - and the war against Hannibal's daddy, Hamilcar. (Sounds like something out of Star Wars, doesn't it? Hamill Car. Go ahead and laugh. It's good for ya.)

So sure, let's not kid ourselves. War costs money. Fighting 11 wars in less than 300 years is not cheap. Don't tell me that the Romans paid for things in gold and silver (and copper and bronze) for 300 years, or that the Roman currency wasn't debased before Hannibal came along. :smirk:

All right, let's keep listenin'... and 30 seconds later I'm told that the Romans stored their gold and silver under the floorboards of the temple of Saturn (maybe, until the Gauls pillaged it under Brennus in 390 BC), and that if I come to Rome, I should visit the Forum and see the ruins of the temples. Sorry - the Forum is a marketplace, not a temple. Bzzt!!! Three strikes, yer out. No right of appeal, no right to an attorney, none of this Miranda warning $hit. YER OUT! :smirk:

So yeah, thanks for playing "Let's Confuse the Masses and Sell Them BS". I ain't confused, and I ain't buyin'. Don't sell me excrement and call it cream.

Anyway. Sorry the rest'a'ya had to read all this, I know long posts get frowned upon, blah yadda yadda blah, you all in your gosh-durned hearts know the story. I just get sick of being told the same old BS as if it were real.

Let me tell you a secret: it's not. It's a game that both corporations and governments know and play very well, and it's called FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Make the masses afraid, make them uncertain, make them doubt themselves, and they'll buy any old story and any piece of plastic-wrapped [email protected] you put in front of 'em. You know it's true. If it weren't true, why do wars in the middle east start every so often? Huh? Don't tell me that it's about land or money or religion. Don't tell me it's a tragedy of politics. I'll tell you why: it's because people are - BZZT!!! - sheep! That's right, tell 'em what they won, Steve! :smirk:

Most people are sheep. If you repeat a lie often enough, if you put fear, uncertainty and doubt into people, they'll start believing that the lie is true! And before long, anyone comes along and says "Hey, that's a pile of [email protected]!", they'll say "No it ain't! You're just an academic geek living in an ivory tower and drinking lattes! Rah rah rah!"

Anyway. Again, sorry you had to read all this. You could've just logged off or something, you know. Or gone to play Furious Avians or Angry Birds, I dunno. The whole point is... don't believe what you see, what you read and what you hear. Not even my ****!!! Read widely, think about what you read, make up your own mind, and stop polluting the internet with conspiracies and [email protected]!!!

So, yeah... that's it. :wink:
"There is nothing wrong with nepotism, provided you keep it all in the family."
--Winston Churchill
Post edited by Rath_Darkblade on

Comments

• CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,071Registered Users
    edited November 4
    Yeah man

Sing the song brother

Ohhhhh and quit holding back, let us know exactly how you feel quit beating about the bush
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
  • Rath_DarkbladeRath_Darkblade Senior Member Posts: 2,111Registered Users
    Thanks for reminding me. Expecting people to be civil or think for themselves? On the ****ing internet? :smirk: Not today, brother, not today.

Yeah, yeah. I know. All I need to change people's minds on the internet is a whole lotta good fart memes. But reasonable argument? Yeah, it's like I'm diggin' myself into a hole over here, dude. Diggin' the hole deeper and deeper.

"An' another thing!"

"Where'd Rath go...? He dug himself right through the earth...!"

You know, people are heckling me in ancient Egyptian right now. "Why you not just showing 'em fart memes? Why you have to ... why you tryin'a convince people to change their minds and beliefs? They don't want to stand out, they want to be in the crowd! They don't want to have beliefs!"

Oh, OK, thank you. The wisdom of the ancient Egyptians.

"They don't want to rock the boat! They just want to look at fart memes and fall asleep on the couch! Covered in potato chip crumbs! Don't tell people it's stupid to believe in [email protected]!"

Well screw it, you know. :smirk:
    --Winston Churchill
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,095Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited November 5
    Two of my favorite people here, and no one else. Getting to be a real desert conversation wise. Too bad.

Btw, ancient Egyptian?

󴦪
    𓌗
    𓌗
    d
    󳣍
    󳰎
    󴤆
    󴤆
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    And don't forget about all the good people ruined by stepping over to the dark side becoming mods. I don't care that they have cookies.(the darkside I mean)

Moving threads, closing threads bringing common sense into things. Enough I say
    If I wanted that I would talk to people in person, where one runs the risk of facing the consequences of idiothood immediately.
    sober!
  • Rath_DarkbladeRath_Darkblade Senior Member Posts: 2,111Registered Users
    Um, dge1? I can't read your post, sorry ... it says "Btw, ancient Egyptian?" and then a bunch of things that don't make sense to me. *shrug* What does it say?

Cogre, I know all about good people becoming mods. I've modded at least half-a-dozen forums for many years. Nowadays, I only mod one or two. :smirk:

Luckily, none of them have as many problems as this one. Having said that, a few years ago, I did have to deal with a troll who not only tried to prove how smart he was, but - when we ignored him - he started making death threats, as well as calling people names and threatening the (female) forum owner with rape, etc.

Yeah, real mature.

Anyway, I obviously banned him - but two days later, he came back under a different IP address, with a different forum name, and started all the nonsense again. Again - thwack! - insta-ban. :smirk:

When, a few days later, he returned yet again (and brought some of his oh-so-delightful "friends"), I started digging around. As a mod, on that forum, I could see not only people's IP addresses but their MAC addresses, too. How useful! I immediately perma-banned the lot of them.

It finished up when they appealed to the company who created the forum software, pretended to be as innocent as the sky as blue, and blamed me for everything. A company rep emailed me about it. I had copies of all the death threats, rape threats etc., which I shared with the rep. His response? "Thank you. These people are banned from all our forums now, and we are investigating whether charges can be laid against them for harassment, etc."

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of punks! :smirk:
    --Winston Churchill
    Ok well how about those creepy types always on the computer and game playing, whew just give me the willies
    sober!
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,095Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    @Rath_Darkblade The incomprehrensive line of symbols was supposed to be a short remark using Egyptian hieroglyphics. It did not convert well when I copied it over. I don't recall what I was trying to say either (sleep since then).

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • naishonaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,423Registered Users
    You Tell'm Rath!

I mean where would we be if we didn't through pattern seeking hyperbole compare a country, nation, people, and culture to another country, nation, people, and culture to another from 2000 years ago and have them make perfect sense!

After all, what have the Roman Ever Done For US! (Roads?) (Pardon??)

In all seriousness, I have been noticing there is a tendency to apply current events to past history and deriving historical choices based upon current realities (or theories). An example that happened in a real book was that Japan kicked out Christians because Europeans were "imperialists" in the 1580s.... Yea... lets kinda ignore the fact that the author is talking about the 1880s by using theory from the 2000s to refer to a reality that doesn't understand the 16th century.

>.<
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB