Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do you still spread out your units?

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberPosts: 8,060Registered Users
Which formation are Romans more effective?

Spread-out or Deep?

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Posts: 713Registered Users
    Spread out imho.

I find deep formation to be only useful if you're trying to go through a gap in the enemy lines and charging with a very distinct angle into an unit from behind.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,060Registered Users
    Deep Ranks shall win against spread out unit.

Try 2 Praetorians Guards against each other.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Posts: 713Registered Users
    edited November 12
    Tried deep versus AI using "regular" (aka spread but not to the limit), AI butchered me. (And they were using formation attack)

Tried the spreadest formation (so just slightly more spread than normal but still, noticeable), disabled formation attack and my guys won. And I was charging uphill

Being able to wrap around ever so slightly and flank is still a key to winning the battles, that had no reason to change with the patch
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,211Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Personally I don't mess with the spread or the depth. I leave the original unit as it is present for any faction with solid infantry units, when in battle, and work with the way I want the starting battle line to work. For a number of factions it works fine. Getting flanked is not the big a deal in a solid line supported by missile units, and you have a number of cavalry units that can attack from the flank or rear.

Saved my butt a number of times, more often than not.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,268Registered Users
    Beautiful dge!!