Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Are AMD cards for plebs?

for_bretonniafor_bretonnia Posts: 1,616Registered Users
Recently my old nvidia card was shorted by some foil that somehow found its way into my case

Video games are alright, I guess, but not really that important, so I bought a 2600 dollar guitar and a 180 dollar graphics card, an AMD card with slightly better specs than my nvidia card.

Campaign map loading times are taking me forever rn tho. It’s like a solid 70 seconds per load, granted the battles are loading in 8 seconds.

I could change the settings or whatever, but idk, idk. I might just have to retire from singleplayer, and focus my efforts on posting on the forums full time (my new card is running the forum graphics at a high level) and perhaps an occasional mp match

I digress. I digress. What do the TOTAL WAR WARHAMMER OFFICIAL FORUMS think about AMD graphics cards?

Comments

  • RazmirthRazmirth Posts: 2,042Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    I hear the new Ryzen chips are just as strong and much much cheaper so that’s a good thing. But my MOBO only takes intel chips I think, and I’m stuck with i7 7700k as the best CPU if I wanna upgrade my i5 6600k. Which is a shame, since an i7 7700k is 500 bucks, where the newer ryzens are a bit cheaper and outperform the i7 7700k.

    Unless I get a new MOBO. Which I won’t do.

    As far as AMD graphics cards...I’m more of a nvidia guy.
    Post edited by Razmirth on
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    AMD graphics are ok, i have an AMD card, like 100 euro card, playing total war at ultra with an amd eight core processor.
    In my opinion nvidia are a little overrated, and AMD underrated. AMD over much better prices reporting with performance
  • ElectorOfWurttembergElectorOfWurttemberg Posts: 1,803Registered Users
    AMD makes fine cards, you will not go wrong with either brand.
    Lead by the craven, torn apart by the greedy, weaken and exposed.
  • FenristhegreatFenristhegreat Member Posts: 360Registered Users
    If you can manage to push the forum graphics up to ultra with your card, then I'd say it's doing everything required of it.
  • jherr46jherr46 Posts: 112Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    To put it simply, AMD Ryzen good (especially when overclocked). Anything AMD besides the ryzen series can be serviceable, but overall is outdated and not ideal for the dedicated gamer.

    As for AMD gpu’s go I couldn’t tell ya, I own an Nvidia 1080 ti and it’s been pretty solid.
  • for_bretonniafor_bretonnia Posts: 1,616Registered Users
    Razmirth said:

    I hear the new Ryzen chips are just as strong and much much cheaper so that’s a good thing. But my MOBO only takes intel chips I think, and I’m stuck with i7 7700k as the best CPU if I wanna upgrade my i5 6600k. Which is a shame, since an i7 7700k is 500 bucks, where the newer ryzens are a bit cheaper and outperform the i7 7700k.

    Unless I get a new MOBO. Which I won’t do.

    As far as AMD graphics cards...I’m more of a nvidia guy.

    AMD is not really that suitable for total war warhammer rn.

    these pleb loading times are irritating me to no end. I might have to purchase more copies of this same graphics card to get my loads under control
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Posts: 781Registered Users
    edited November 2018

    Recently my old nvidia card was shorted by some foil that somehow found its way into my case

    Video games are alright, I guess, but not really that important, so I bought a 2600 dollar guitar and a 180 dollar graphics card, an AMD card with slightly better specs than my nvidia card.

    Campaign map loading times are taking me forever rn tho. It’s like a solid 70 seconds per load, granted the battles are loading in 8 seconds.

    I could change the settings or whatever, but idk, idk. I might just have to retire from singleplayer, and focus my efforts on posting on the forums full time (my new card is running the forum graphics at a high level) and perhaps an occasional mp match

    I digress. I digress. What do the TOTAL WAR WARHAMMER OFFICIAL FORUMS think about AMD graphics cards?

    Nvidia are fastest, but AMD are usually mostly respectable. Personally I wouldn't buy anything less than a GTX 1070 level of performance for this game as half of the atmosphere is in making the visuals in battle look as cinematic as possible.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • ElectorOfWurttembergElectorOfWurttemberg Posts: 1,803Registered Users

    Razmirth said:

    I hear the new Ryzen chips are just as strong and much much cheaper so that’s a good thing. But my MOBO only takes intel chips I think, and I’m stuck with i7 7700k as the best CPU if I wanna upgrade my i5 6600k. Which is a shame, since an i7 7700k is 500 bucks, where the newer ryzens are a bit cheaper and outperform the i7 7700k.

    Unless I get a new MOBO. Which I won’t do.

    As far as AMD graphics cards...I’m more of a nvidia guy.

    AMD is not really that suitable for total war warhammer rn.

    these pleb loading times are irritating me to no end. I might have to purchase more copies of this same graphics card to get my loads under control
    Why don't you think about getting an SSD instead of getting a new GPU haha
    Lead by the craven, torn apart by the greedy, weaken and exposed.
  • beetlebuddybeetlebuddy Posts: 126Registered Users
    Plebs are people who put foil in their graphics card
  • jherr46jherr46 Posts: 112Registered Users
    SSD drives just improve gaming load times. They don’t have an effect on rendering graphics. So the OP would be better off spending his money on a gpu.
  • 4uk4ata4uk4ata Posts: 890Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    I had a RX 480, eventually resold it during the first peak of the mining craze and got a 580. Both worked perfectly fine, not the most energy-efficient but have the extra RAM to burn in case I end up sticking with it longer than advisedand I've long been a Sapphire fan; plus, both were on sale at the time. Nvidia makes good cards, but at this point it's more a matter of what's on sale and what brands you personally prefer.

    Loading times should be up to your hard drive/SSD though. There might be some driver issue messing things up, but in terms of productivity AMD and Nvidia cards of the same generation/class should be nearly identical.

    In between, I had to make do with my sister's old HD 5670. I have no idea how that thing was able to even start the game, but it was able to (barely) run it with its 512 MB RAM. Praise be to its machine spirit.

    Land is Kislev, Kislev is Land! We are Kislev!

    Proud Elspeth von Draken partisan
  • for_bretonniafor_bretonnia Posts: 1,616Registered Users
    4uk4ata said:

    I had a RX 480, eventually resold it during the first peak of the mining craze and got a 580. Both worked perfectly fine, not the most energy-efficient but have the extra RAM to burn in case I end up sticking with it longer than advisedand I've long been a Sapphire fan; plus, both were on sale at the time. Nvidia makes good cards, but at this point it's more a matter of what's on sale and what brands you personally prefer.

    Loading times should be up to your hard drive/SSD though. There might be some driver issue messing things up, but in terms of productivity AMD and Nvidia cards of the same generation/class should be nearly identical.

    In between, I had to make do with my sister's old HD 5670. I have no idea how that thing was able to even start the game, but it was able to (barely) run it with its 512 MB RAM. Praise be to its machine spirit.



    yeah i dont know anything about pcs tbh. my long loads could be non graphics card related.

    but the thing is though I didnt have these weird load times with my old card. I only have the system hard drive, and total war warhammer 2 is installed on that... and i have an additional external drive that i dont really use for anything
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Posts: 1,351Registered Users
    I don't think loading times have much to do with the card. It should be ssd or ram related. Now some cards offer loading pipelines to help CPUs nowadays. Maybe the card you bought lacks on this aspect. But it's not because it's an AMD mind you. I don't know much about AMD though, being a nvidia person because I had so much troubles in the past with radeon that I still keep a grudge against their products.

    Team Yennefer

    "A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt
  • ElectorOfWurttembergElectorOfWurttemberg Posts: 1,803Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    jherr46 said:

    SSD drives just improve gaming load times. They don’t have an effect on rendering graphics. So the OP would be better off spending his money on a gpu.


    Campaign map loading times are taking me forever rn tho. It’s like a solid 70 seconds per load, granted the battles are loading in 8 seconds.


    these pleb loading times are irritating me to no end. I

    He is literally complaining about load times.

    Comment removed.

    Post edited by dge1 on
    Lead by the craven, torn apart by the greedy, weaken and exposed.
  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Posts: 707Registered Users
    edited November 2018

    jherr46 said:

    SSD drives just improve gaming load times. They don’t have an effect on rendering graphics. So the OP would be better off spending his money on a gpu.


    Campaign map loading times are taking me forever rn tho. It’s like a solid 70 seconds per load, granted the battles are loading in 8 seconds.


    these pleb loading times are irritating me to no end. I

    He is literally complaining about load times.

    Comment removed.

    Don't take it seriously. Its just a pleb thread, when people have an issue they don't understand and start a brand war for parts which have nothing to do with their problem its not your job to correct them.
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 1,990Registered Users
    I would say posting what card you had, what card you replaced it with, and in general, your system specs, would get you actual information of value.

    For instance, if you had a 1080 Ti, and you replaced it with a 2gb 560, you're most certainly doomed by the change, performance wise.

    If, on the other hand, you replaced a 970 with a 580, you should be seeing a substantial performance improvement, and one would be able to point to alternative problems.

    That your battle loading times are great, but your campaign loading times are terrible, speaks more to a hardware or software problem, as opposed to a poor performance issue. Bad memory, driver issues, hard drive issues. I'd do a cleanup on your video drivers, reinstall them, verify the game cache, and run disk check, in that order.

    Outside of a memory shortage, and the campaign map using a lot more video memory than the battle does, which I'd be surprised by, this really shouldn't be caused by a video card switch unless there are some extraneous issues beyond pure performance.
  • for_bretonniafor_bretonnia Posts: 1,616Registered Users
    psychoak said:

    I would say posting what card you had, what card you replaced it with, and in general, your system specs, would get you actual information of value.

    For instance, if you had a 1080 Ti, and you replaced it with a 2gb 560, you're most certainly doomed by the change, performance wise.

    If, on the other hand, you replaced a 970 with a 580, you should be seeing a substantial performance improvement, and one would be able to point to alternative problems.

    That your battle loading times are great, but your campaign loading times are terrible, speaks more to a hardware or software problem, as opposed to a poor performance issue. Bad memory, driver issues, hard drive issues. I'd do a cleanup on your video drivers, reinstall them, verify the game cache, and run disk check, in that order.

    Outside of a memory shortage, and the campaign map using a lot more video memory than the battle does, which I'd be surprised by, this really shouldn't be caused by a video card switch unless there are some extraneous issues beyond pure performance.

    it's a radeon something (i forget the #), my brother found the deal on newegg, so at 180 bucks +30 dollar rebate, that probably was a good deal.

    it probably is some corrupted install issue, so im reinstalling the game.

    i dont really do that much abstract thinking tbh, and i steal most of my ideas on this game or mechanical things, from my brother, or other people like that.

    just saying. I was certifiably elite in language and any test of short term memory back in the day, but I was low average in visual organization type thinking. like 37th percentile or something like that. altho, i would argue that i was very poorly rested the only time i took a supervised IQ test, and also i hadnt ever seen a test like that b4. I would argue that if you have me a good nights sleep I would be elite in that capacity, and if you gave me a box of adderall I would be a genius without comparison,

    but the reality, is, and im saying this for educational reasons and helping the avg citizen along, i am not that good at anything. If I ever appear to be doing things as a musician that suggest a remarkable understanding of pitch or an ability to sequence information, that was actually as a result of a lot of preparation and exercises to strengthen the diaphram and to make breathing easier, and also....

    better living through chemistry. In a world with unlimited resources and unlimited time to prepare for any task, I probably am the best suited for everything, and I should design all of the world's systems.

    but we were never a creature of pure will, or the hardest worker, and we had sperglorde level sensitivities to the environment around us. and you couldnt ever have one thing without trading away something else. So when we made life choices to amplify conscious brain activity, we actually did trade away much of our visual imagination, and also we elevated physical fatigue, so what you'd have is an individual who needed to exercise constantly to repair the damage they themselves were doing to their body, all in the pursuit of personal growth, wherein you might not be able to sing on 30 days out of a 31 day month, but you knew that you were getting your reps in, and on the 31st day, you could take a step back and sing like mariah carey.

    I ramble, I ramble, lol. inb4 ban TLDR I dont know anything about anything, i.e computer parts or anything like that, but at the same time im the best at everything. what a time to be alive.
Sign In or Register to comment.