Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Total War launcher beta update and feedback thread.

CA_OtherTomCA_OtherTom Posts: 202Registered Users, CA Staff, Community Team
edited November 2018 in News and Announcements
We're happy to announce that we have an updated launcher beta for Total War with a whole new design and new features. You can learn more about this beta and how to obtain it on the Total War Official Blog.

This beta is a work in progress and we are interested in hearing your feedback on it.
Found some bugs?
Want a feature?
Hate a feature?
General thoughts?

Please let us know in this thread!

Comments

• DaTrollDaTroll Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    I've some suggestions:
    1. Please let us have "Mod Profiles", so we can save various setups for our campaings. Its a pain in the a**to manage these manually if you are used to use several setups.
    2. Make the "Mod Profiles" Steam Cloud based. I use serveral computers - would be nice if I dont have to manage my mods on every PC by itself
    3. Make the "Mod Profiles" simmilar or linked to STEAM-Collections - share with a friend; press one-button-subscirbe-all; done. Multipplayer Campaings with mods will be sooooo much easier to handle.
    Don't get me wrong this looks very promissing - but just not perfect (yet).

Keep it up.

DaTroll
  • EctelionEctelion Posts: 12Registered Users
    Mod profiles/list is absolutely needed, by the way thanks for updating the launcher!
  • numahrnumahr Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    I totally support the request for a mod profiles feature.

@DaTroll explained it very clearly, so basically +1 to his post :)
  • brummieblueefcbrummieblueefc Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    My Reddit post, figured it would be better in here: "So I've opted in, nice idea. But now I have 126 outdated mods. And now a warning that my mod data is corrupted. Any ideas? Have I got to re-download them all again? I have the absolute s*****est of internet speeds. Edit: And I've tried to delete a mod that's no longer necessary and the whole thing crashes. I get a greyed out screen after about 2 minutes of waiting. On reboot, instead of the mod being deleted it's still there and now looks as though it's downloading itself again. Think I'll be opting out guys, thanks anyway."

So I'm going to add to this. I tried deleting some other mods. One went straight away, as I assume it's supposed to. Another didn't and yet another froze on the 'are you sure you want to delete' box. Again. So they either fail to get past that part or they just don't get removed from the list afterwards. Apart from one mod that removed successfully. I've opted out for now I'm afraid.
  • BloodSpillerBloodSpiller Senior Member Posts: 539Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    Want a feature ? - yes - can you show us conflicting mods?
    also can you add total war : alexander?
    Post edited by BloodSpiller on
  • PailPail Posts: 10Registered Users
    It'd be nice if we could compress the list to, say, one row per mod. With plenty of mods installed, going through the whole list is a chore if you can only see a few at a time.

Another nice feature would be sorting by last updated date. Steam workshop (afaik) does not support this feature so when you see steam workshop downloading something, you can't tell which of the mods was updated and have to go through all the subscribed mods.
  • TheBookofGrudgesTheBookofGrudges Posts: 1Registered Users
    Please add a mod profiles function. Its extremely helpful to create custom mod lists for different campaigns.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,118Registered Users
    edited November 2018
    It looks clean. Now, everytime there is new content, we will get notified. Very Nice!
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • Frodo45127Frodo45127 Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    Some extra feedback: The "X obsolete" button at the bottom should enable a filter to only show the obsolete mods (or show a list of obsolete mods in another window), not enable them without letting the user know what mods are. Because otherwise, what use has a button that enables random mods in your modlist?
  • DaTrollDaTroll Posts: 2Registered Users
    An other one after testing it out for real....
    • Let us Seach for modnames in the list view!!!; predefined filters are nice - just add a custom search
  • CataphCataph Member Posts: 541Registered Users
    Quick mockups of two proposed zoomed-out alternate views, in order to have a better view of the modlist when you have a serious lot of them. Compared to main, of course you lose some details to fit more stuff in one screen.

From Lost2Insanity:

and lazy me:

Absolutely not meant to look like the final product in terms of options and other functions, especially mine.
    TEAM ALEJANDRO
    *wink wink*
    My Steam Workshop (Warhammer, Rome II)
  • MuhsinTpdMuhsinTpd Junior Member Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (The Republic of Turkey)Posts: 72Registered Users
    It look like very good and usefully.
    “Victory is for those who can say "Victory is mine". Success is for those who can begin saying "I will succeed" and say "I have succeeded" in the end.”
    ― Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
  • SothpawSothpaw Posts: 15Registered Users
    Like the mod manager. Wish there was a way to hide all the historical titles though. Just never going to play those games so they just take up space for people who are only interested in WH and whatever new fantasy/sci fi games CA makes.
  • IlyandirIlyandir Posts: 186Registered Users
    I have to echo the three main sentiments - this is a good change (thank you), please add profiles and please allow more mods to be visible. With particular reference to the last two items, for now, I'll continue to use Kaedrin's Mod Manager because it is meeting these needs very effectively.
    I can bend minds with my spoon.
  • Draco100000Draco100000 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Nice improvement in comparison to the previous mod manager that constantly bugged and was really awful to use.
    As some people have said before me, mod profiles and a search bar would be 2 perfect additions that would make the hole installing mods expirience much faster and easy. Just with those 2 things I would be happy, although a direct link to the mod collections in the workshop would be great and a quick button to add them as mod profiles would be great, although the hole colection system is quite solid already, still would be quite unexpected and great.

Make it so you can access mod lists without launching a specific total war game, like making a Steam store page for the launcher so you can actually use it to manage multiple campaings. Im usually switching between Rome 2, Attila and Warhammer, and making it so quick would be amazing.

Add an actual News tab with much more recent articles from total war access, currently it feels lacking having only a news link and a dlc link. You can actually make another tab for dlc, where you could bundle dlc related stuff and the actual steam store links, making it much more usefull for both people interested in total war news related to their game and people missing some dlc.

And finally adding multiple interface options, so if people prefer less cool but more usefull and compact interfaces for their +50 mods would be great as well.
    Still quite happy with the current beta, really outdoing yourselves recently, keep up the good work and keep improving this great launcher.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,380Registered Users
    Sothpaw said:

Like the mod manager. Wish there was a way to hide all the historical titles though. Just never going to play those games so they just take up space for people who are only interested in WH and whatever new fantasy/sci fi games CA makes.

Not trying the beta, but I think there are those of this who'd like the ability to hide WH as well … :wink:

Maybe just an option to hide each individual game, let each player customize what they want. Hide historical? Hide fantasy? Hide the older games? Or maybe hide Europe/Asia as settings, or hide a particular unwanted generation of titles? Allowing each player to customize it to their own interests I don't think would be a bad thing.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 34,626Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    tak22 said:

Sothpaw said:

Not trying the beta, but I think there are those of this who'd like the ability to hide WH as well … :wink:

Maybe just an option to hide each individual game, let each player customize what they want. Hide historical? Hide fantasy? Hide the older games? Or maybe hide Europe/Asia as settings, or hide a particular unwanted generation of titles? Allowing each player to customize it to their own interests I don't think would be a bad thing.
    Perhaps it would work better if it only showed installed games.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,380Registered Users

tak22 said:

Sothpaw said:

Perhaps it would work better if it only showed installed games.

Maybe. I think from CA's pov they're looking to advertise a bit, and I don't begrudge them that. But in the case of games that I'm simply not going to buy, it wouldn't be bad to have the option to clean up the display. (Equally, I wouldn't mind in future games to have the option to turn off the DLC notifications for DLCs I don't want to buy).
  • RichdogRichdog Posts: 697Registered Users
    DaTroll said:

I've some suggestions:

1. Please let us have "Mod Profiles", so we can save various setups for our campaings. Its a pain in the a**to manage these manually if you are used to use several setups.
    2. Make the "Mod Profiles" Steam Cloud based. I use serveral computers - would be nice if I dont have to manage my mods on every PC by itself
    3. Make the "Mod Profiles" simmilar or linked to STEAM-Collections - share with a friend; press one-button-subscirbe-all; done. Multipplayer Campaings with mods will be sooooo much easier to handle.

Keep it up.

DaTroll
    A mod manager with profiles is essential!
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • CrayfishCrayfish Posts: 1Registered Users
    Just want to add to the calls for a "mod profiles" feature. The new launcher looks promising though
  • myselfnapoleonmyselfnapoleon Senior Member Posts: 438Registered Users
    Total War: Barbarian Invasion, Alexander and all of Medieval 2's Kingdom campaigns (Britannia, Crusades, Teutonic and New World) are unavailable from the laucher. Could you please add them to the launcher as an option ?
  • kendom02kendom02 Junior Member Posts: 18Registered Users
    maybe a suggestion instead of working on a new launcher for the game fix this god dam crash that is breaking the game making it unplayable

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/230110/vampire-coast-dlc-crash-to-desktop-issue

its been like this for nearly 3 weeks now why cant you just give us a god dam update instead of a bot response!.
  • easytargeteasytarget Senior Member Posts: 2,358Registered Users
    Yeah, time well spent this. Instead of working to make well designed games let's instead reinvent steam so we can shove even more ad spam in your face and then pitch it to the sheep as a benefit.

Funny, RPS saw right through what this is really about, and being typical journos it's not like they're terribly sharp, so if even they picked up on it CA/SEGA must not mind this is obvious to everyone.

Net: CA peaked w/ S2 and its been downhill ever since. Hey, it happens, every creative endeavor has an apogee of development, the only question when you're on the back side of that arc is what do you do now?!

The answer over the last couple of years has been create games based off an infantile derivative IP and judging from this announcement fiddle about with your go to market strategy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Frodo45127Frodo45127 Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    Tried to upload a mod with the new launcher and I got this:

• NealM63NealM63 Posts: 20Registered Users
    kendom02 said:

maybe a suggestion instead of working on a new launcher for the game fix this god dam crash that is breaking the game making it unplayable

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/230110/vampire-coast-dlc-crash-to-desktop-issue

its been like this for nearly 3 weeks now why cant you just give us a god dam update instead of a bot response!.

I would give you 1 million likes if I could. I wait day after day for a fix for what should be a simple problem to solve with all the user files submitted and the users narrowing it down to the exact event that causes the perma crash.
    After 900 trouble free hours the game is broke for me now.
  • celia_cacelia_ca Posts: 20Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff
    Thanks everyone for opting in to the beta and sending us your Launcher feedback and requests. The team are currently looking into the issues raised with the mod manager and hope to have them resolved soon.

We are also compiling your requests and will be evaluating them for future versions of the Launcher.

• celia_cacelia_ca Posts: 20Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff
    edited December 2018

Tried to upload a mod with the new launcher and I got this:

@Frodo45127 Thanks for the feedback, were you able to upload the mod after trying again, or did you see this error every time? Also, did this affect one mod only, or different mods?
  • EctelionEctelion Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    sorry in advance i am not a native speaker :=)

first issue:
    the launcher takes about 1-2 minutes to delete a mod without cancelling its subscription

second issue: the mods deleted reappear after restarting the launcher

third: refresh button not working at all

suggestion: it would be nice to be able to open the mod itself on the workshop (like the previous launcher) it's a small thing but very important to me, sometimes in order to see other mods requested and comments.

edit: sorry i didn't see the link to the workshop in the info panel,so i would restore the way of the older one, i mean accessing to the steamworkshop by clicking on the name of the mod without the need to open the info.
    Also i noticed that you can open only the info panel if the mod is enabled, please let us do it in any case.

edit 2: clicking disabling all the mods, launching the game and restarting it = keeps loading and it says 0 subscriptions (i checked on the workshop and its all fine there)

https://imgur.com/JoUe7Up

so far i didn't manage to solve the problem, all my mods seem to be vanished.
    i went back to the old launcher, it sees my mods, i updated again to the new one, still 0 mods...
    I also noticed that the mods that resulted as "cloud faded" loaded perfectly on the old one.

sorry for the confusion/amount of informations, i hope to help.

thanks!

Post edited by Ectelion on
  • The_baronThe_baron Posts: 395Registered Users
    DaTroll said:

I've some suggestions:

Keep it up.

DaTroll
    Obviously upvoting and emphasizing DaTroll statement. Profiles especially for multiplayer ! in fact Total War games should allow the ability to coordinate mods profiles via the game lobby when setting up games such head to head !! (already had huge posts about it) Can't emphasize enough how important this is !

Besides that :

1) When there was only a few TW games , having a launcher was not practical or even a hindrance, now that there are quite a few the fact that you can use one launcher to play all is great but ... for some reason once swapping to a different game via the launcher you can't access the Mod Manager which for me is the main reason to use the launcher.
    2) Store doesn't show which DLC you already own or give an option to hide those DLC, I will also add that store should be a good place to highlight discounts when available as many of us poor players don't have lots of cash to spare :)
    3) Now that the launcher looks better and seems to be more accessible can we have a TW launcher shortcut available so I can clear my desktop ? also make it so people who use the shortcuts directly launch into the specific game they want to ... cause I do understand people that liked to just skip the extra window :)
    4) This one is for multiplayer players : show in launcher in each specific game how lively the lobby is if you are looking to jump into a match :)