Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Alternative Approach to Hero's role in the Warhammer

GroskrvvGroskrvv Registered Users Posts: 41
I have two suggestions that will enhance the immersion of alliances and heroes in general.

What if heroes could be assigned to allied armies as assistence, so long as they remain in the reinforcement range, they could appear as imbedded and be controlled by the player himself. Alternatively, the said hero's could be accompanied by a number of regiments depending on their level to assist allies.

A regiment of S. of Averlorn for an hand maiden, or two regiments of spearmen for a noble, or a unit of swordmasters of Hoeth for a loremaster. This would only work for allies, so you cannot reinforce your own armies in this manner.

This would allow a faction like High Elves to get involved in Old Word politics, supporting allies without having to send 20 stack armies that are expensive and hard to train. This would also give heroes more versatility.

This idea made sense to me when I remembered the crucial role played by Elven reinforcements in LotR. Without the addition of several hundred elven soldiers, helms deep would have been overrun long before rohirrim arrived.

What do you think of this?

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,144
    I'd like in range heroes to count as reinforcements. Considering they actually are an army unit, it only makes sense. This does serve to make them counter productive to actually have in an army though. It's a bit of a logic problem either way.

So long as they remain agents, they probably need to stay agents while being agents.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,376
    So like the commanders in Three Kingdoms where each "hero" control roughly four units?
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,265

So like the commanders in Three Kingdoms where each "hero" control roughly four units?

No. That's not what the OP means.

However, that would still be bloody cool in Warhammer as a mod or something.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,478
    Not to derail the topic, but as a devout Lotr fan I have to say that in the books there is only one elf fighting in the battle of helms deep. The other elves arriving is a movie invention.
  • GroskrvvGroskrvv Registered Users Posts: 41
    I have read the books when I was in highschool 10 years ago, so I don't really remember the detalis, however in the movie, they have been very efficient in delaying the Orcs, and in a real world scenario, small reinforcements to allies in the form of heroes would be a great help with low cost.
  • BrynjarKBrynjarK Registered Users Posts: 539
    I always saw the in-game heroes as either; not worthy of me clubba-diplomats; or sneaky stabbers.
    Having them with a company of men would make them.. well, regular game... WAAAAGH !!
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 2,808
    It sounds cool and all but just seems like a good way to get your heroes killed. UNLESS you'd also be allowed to control the ally's army instead of the AI. Now that would be an interesting way to spice up a campaign!
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    "Draconic murder ferret attack dog." - Ben1990 describing Shard Dragons.
  • BrynjarKBrynjarK Registered Users Posts: 539
    Or cheese it up a bit!!!! :P
  • tanspan88tanspan88 Registered Users Posts: 201
    Sounds cool. Maybe a high level could unlock a skill that would allow a relevent unit to accompany them on the battle field, and they could teinforce allies without being attacked as an army. Yeah - i like.

Lots of good ideas on this forum...
  • GroskrvvGroskrvv Registered Users Posts: 41
    I wouldn't worry about heroes getting killed, this may as well be activated after the heroes get immortality in the later game, as for controling the AI of your allies, that might depend on the situation, maybe if you have a 40 level hero, helping out a 5 level enemy general. But I wouldn't assume a 20 level hero controlling the army of 40 level Karl Franz. The reason I came up with this is that I often have to wait until late game before intervenining in my allies in far off continents, who are usually trashed beyond repair by chaos and vampire counts. And as a role playing device a mechanic that allows you to observe and intervene in your allies battles without sending out 20 stacks that will probably be killed of for the lack of back-ups seems more immersive.