Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Playable Warlords revealed so far.

AryndelinAryndelin Junior MemberPosts: 731Registered Users
edited December 8 in General Discussion
Post edited by Aryndelin on

Comments

• tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 478Registered Users
    Playing Dong Zhuo without Lu Bu would be like playing Jabba the Hutt without Boba Fett. Glad they didn't make Lu Bu a leader.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    Dealing with Lu Bu will probably be part of Dong Zhuo's dilemma.
  • AoishiroAoishiro Posts: 13Registered Users
    I still think Liu Yan/Zhang and Zhang Lu would have been a better choice than Kong Rong and Zhang Yan as warlords at least to give some diversities in the south.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 281Registered Users
    I see these listed for the warlord - Is there an explanation of what impact each of those has on the character? I'm guessing the bottom 5 are if you play romance mode which I'm not interested in.

authority
    expertise
    cunning
    resolve
    instinct

battle statistics
    morale
    melee toughness
    ranged toughness
    melee power

weapons
    armor
    mounts
    followers
    accessories
  • SakotadejanSakotadejan Posts: 106Registered Users
    I wonder where did he found those informations. He didn’t mention the source of it. I really hope Dong Zhuo will be playable and that Lu Bu will be under him. He would be my choice for the first campaign lets play.
  • sablesable Member Posts: 112Registered Users
    People have noticed that all of the major factions have a square flag while all the minor ones seem to have a triangular one. Kong Rong is seen at one point in the video and he has a square flag, and his design seems a bit more unique than the other generic officers. I believe that's where everyone's getting the idea from. Still it seems like a weird choice. Either Kong Rong or Zhang Yan alone would have been a good choice, but the other one should have been a southern warlord like Liu Zhang or Liu Yao. The entire southern part of the map is going to be filled with nothing but non playable factions aside from Sun Jian.

I did notice at one point there was a marker that said Yellow Turban Rebellion south of Dong Zhou. Maybe one of the 3 Yellow Turban lords will start in the south at least?
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 478Registered Users
    I think this will be the first game where I will play multiple lords. In the Koei games I only played Cao Cao
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 8,224Registered Users
    Aoishiro said:

I still think Liu Yan/Zhang and Zhang Lu would have been a better choice than Kong Rong and Zhang Yan as warlords at least to give some diversities in the south.

Maybe CA is saving them for another DLC? anyway not everyone need to be included at launch.
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
  • RydiaRydia Junior Member Posts: 44Registered Users
    sable said:

People have noticed that all of the major factions have a square flag while all the minor ones seem to have a triangular one. Kong Rong is seen at one point in the video and he has a square flag, and his design seems a bit more unique than the other generic officers. I believe that's where everyone's getting the idea from. Still it seems like a weird choice. Either Kong Rong or Zhang Yan alone would have been a good choice, but the other one should have been a southern warlord like Liu Zhang or Liu Yao. The entire southern part of the map is going to be filled with nothing but non playable factions aside from Sun Jian.

I did notice at one point there was a marker that said Yellow Turban Rebellion south of Dong Zhou. Maybe one of the 3 Yellow Turban lords will start in the south at least?

Right about the banners. Every playable Warlord has a rectangular banner. So far I had a list of 10, not including the Yellow Turban Lords. When I watched part 2, the only banner that I had missing belonged to Kong Rong. Until he was revealed in the video. So now all the lords have been revealed. His list is accurate. I also, believe that Lu Bu will be playable further down the line. Not at launch. I think he's to popular to have him just be an underling to Dong Zhuo for the life of this game.

One last thing. I did notice one other Yellow Banner not belong to the to the 11 Lords Confirmed. So yes, I too believe it is one of the lords belonging to the Yellow Turbans.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,195Registered Users
    Strongly disagree with everyone saying Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu will be split, they come in a set. I would not be shocked if there was an event early on to assasinate Dong Zhuo and let Lu Bu take over, but they will not be seperate factions, or atleast should not IMO.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 828Registered Users
    Krunch said:

Strongly disagree with everyone saying Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu will be split, they come in a set. I would not be shocked if there was an event early on to assasinate Dong Zhuo and let Lu Bu take over, but they will not be seperate factions, or atleast should not IMO.

Yeah, that's how I think it'll play out. It'll be interesting to see what happens; does assassinating Dong Zhou mean Lu Bu becomes your new faction leader, but the Han Empire and your allies break away from you, leading to a harder campaign in the long run?

What happens if you don't assassinate him? Does Lu Bu break away and form his own faction? Does he just leave your faction and go to join someone like Yuan Shu?

And what happens if it's an AI faction? Is it a random 50/50 chance for Dong Zhou to be assassinated in every campaign? What happens then?

Definitely opens up a lot of very interesting possibilities in campaign. Although I hope there's a 3rd option to keep Dong Zhou and Lu Bu in the same faction, I'd love to play as the "big bad guys" and just go kicking ass around China with those two.
  • RydiaRydia Junior Member Posts: 44Registered Users
    edited December 1
    Krunch said:

Assassination might actually be a possibility. Think about it. CA have stated that there will be only 11 playable Lord's at launch. Not including The Yellow Turban Lord's. So the only way they can stay at that number would be if Lu Bu assasinates his Lord and takes over.
    I'm going deep down the rabbit hole, but hey, I would love Lu Bu as a playable Lord.
    Post edited by Rydia on
    Also, to bring up the video again, surely everyone else has noticed the absolutely glaring holes in the map, yes? Those being Sichuan having no starting faction(s), and the fact that there is only one faction south of the Yangtze, and that faction(Sun Jian) starts literally touching the river. The whole of the Southlands is basically untouched. As such, I'd say some DLC's focussing on the South seem very likely. I'd love a "Southern Barbarians" DLC that added the Shanyue south of the Yangtze and the Nanman in the SW of Sichuan(Hopefully even extending the map to Nanzhong), also Shi Xie would be awesome as a DLC having a sort of mixed Han-Nanyue/Viet roster.

Also, I'm sure everyone has noticed Korea. There is absolutely no reason to have all that Korean space on the map, they could easily have cut the map off much further west. As such, I'd say a DLC extending the map further East to include Liaodong and Korea as playable area's seems very likely, with Gongsun Du in Liadong and the Koreans of Goguryeo, Baekje, and Silla. I'm pretty hyped for that, it's always great to have more Variety.

I'd also love to see a "Nomadic Tribes/Northern Barbarians" DLC eventually with the Xianbei, Qiang, and Wuhuan eventually.
    I was pretty excited to see Korea. It's pretty huge. There's no way that won't be future dlc down the line. Which is going to be great because Gongsun Du is one of the warlords I want to play as the most.

The lack of any southern warlords is also very disapointing. It's not like this period of was lacking any notable figures to put down there. As it stands I think most of the playable factions are in this thin strip of land that goes straight through the center of the map, and then you have 2 at the very top and Sun Jian just a little south from everyone else.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 8,224Registered Users
    edited December 1
    Rydia said:

Krunch said:

Assassination might actually be a possibility. Think about it. CA have stated that there will be only 11 playable Lord's at launch. Not including The Yellow Turban Lord's. So the only way they can stay at that number would be if Lu Bu assasinates his Lord and takes over.
    I'm going deep down the rabbit hole, but hey, I would love Lu Bu as a playable Lord.
    Maybe a option to assassinate someone from the same faction would be available for all factions.
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
    sable said:

I was pretty excited to see Korea. It's pretty huge. There's no way that won't be future dlc down the line. Which is going to be great because Gongsun Du is one of the warlords I want to play as the most.

The lack of any southern warlords is also very disapointing. It's not like this period of was lacking any notable figures to put down there. As it stands I think most of the playable factions are in this thin strip of land that goes straight through the center of the map, and then you have 2 at the very top and Sun Jian just a little south from everyone else.

To be fair, while there were notable characters in the Southlands, the lions share of the characters and factions goes to Henan and Hebei(Which is also where the population is). And besides, they have to sell some sort of DLC.
  • AryndelinAryndelin Junior Member Posts: 731Registered Users
    The holes in the map will most likely be plugged by DLC.

There's atleast 3 warlords southwest that can be added.

There's a few candidates in the southeast too.

Korea looks like an obvious later addition.
  • SakotadejanSakotadejan Posts: 106Registered Users
    Aryndelin said:

And which candidates are those? Please tell me

Aryndelin said:

And which candidates are those? Please tell me
    I omitted names because it's been a long time since i dealt with these guys and i simply cant remember most of them.

Southwest we got Liu Zhang (more specifically his father whose name i cant remember) the governor of Yi. Zhang Lu in Hanzongh and then the Nanman in the far southwest. Thats 3. There's also Shi Xie who governed the southern most part of china (a coastal linelike region).

In the southeast we got Liu Yao and Wang Lang. Should be one more guy down there but the map i was using as reference to brush up memory had too crappy resolution >.<

The reason why northern china see more action is because there really aint a whole lot in southern china.
    Most of china lived in the northeast quarter of the nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms#/media/File:3K_Mapa.jpg

That 3rd guy would be Yan Baihu. He's another bandit leader like Zhang Yan. He worked very closely with the shanyue tribes in the area. He could make for a very interesting hybrid faction.
    sable said:

That 3rd guy would be Yan Baihu. He's another bandit leader like Zhang Yan. He worked very closely with the shanyue tribes in the area. He could make for a very interesting hybrid faction.

Thanks for the name, i really should have remembered that guy :P
    He's pretty minor. I only remember because I always thought he had a cool name. :D
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Posts: 513Registered Users
    edited December 3
    I guess Zhang Lu, Liu Zhang, and possibly the Nanman are going to be in a DLC pack.
  • JudeTakerathJudeTakerath Posts: 98Registered Users
    Aryndelin said:

Southwest we got Liu Zhang (more specifically his father whose name i cant remember) the governor of Yi. Zhang Lu in Hanzongh and then the Nanman in the far southwest. Thats 3. There's also Shi Xie who governed the southern most part of china (a coastal linelike region).

Liu Yan was the father

edited December 4
    Updated the roster

As said in the edit in original post. I'll update the roster as we get news. Possibly insert start positions and links.

the 3 warlords "confirmed" by milkandcookies will stay as "Unconfirmed" until CA themself state they are playable factions.
    Can someone tell me how i use spoiler tags? :)

i know it starts with [ spoiler ] but what do i use to end it?
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Posts: 108Registered Users
    edited December 5
    Aryndelin said:

Can someone tell me how i use spoiler tags? :)

i know it starts with [ spoiler ] but what do i use to end it?

i like to use the following:
    <_div class="Spoiler" style="display:none;">
    </_div>
    remove the underscores [ _ ] and it should work

================================================================================================================================

appeal to CA:

skirmish related (applicable for historical titles):
    new innovations in the ToB campaign look very promising! skirmish need that kind of revamp too!
    pls, dont overemphasize unit r/p/s counter-matching as the hierarchical confluence of all decision making
    - ! make unit formations (and perhaps abilities) great again! (charlemagne)
    - ! same with LoS system! (tw:arena/UG:CivilWars)
    - ! same with terrain (ridges) (tw:arena/shogun2/UG:CivilWars)
    you've already made the tools!
    just make use of them!

menu related (mp skirmish lobby):
    * add "large army" option to quickmatch pls!
    * have "large army" settings be tagged visually in lobby selector (so that all players have easier time in lobby select)
    * pls introduce scheduled rank resets to quickmatch as means to repress unsportsmanlike conduct related to stat fetishism
    * enable shared team funds (sum == opposition funds irrespective of player count) that all members can (optionally) submit to that facilitate the setup of uneven teams

campaign related:
    + kudos for adding a basic supply system to the ToB campaign
    * for a much more elegant way of addressing autoresolve of not so decisive battles and how armies reinforce each other mount and blade's marshal system could b a fitting reference. mbe there is a way to integrate the marshal concept in one way or the other
    -or-
    * instead of imposing a hard cap of 20 units per army introduce a more organic approach of having lower ranking officers command ~ 10/15 units at max and higher ones up to ~ 40 (with supply, replenishment and all considered)
    * * reinforcing armies in this case would trickle in so a count of 40 intact units is kept rather than exceed 40+ units
    * dynamic quest/notification-event system (may b interesting for 3 kings)

+ thx for addressing spaghetti lines
    + kudos for adding a basic supply system to the ToB campaign

• Tier1: Shogun 2 / Wh 2 / Warhammer
    • Tier2: Age of Charlemagne / Napoleon
    • Tier3: Attila / Medieval 2 / Rome
    • Accident: Rome II

• pending: ToB is yet to b acquired
    • pending: Three Kings not been released yet
    "Furthermore i am of the opinion, that the current Unit Count(20) must be lifted!!"

Team Shadowgave
    Team Cao Wei
    pop survey on tw skirmish battles
    (add ur opinion in the comments if you will; not meant for serious discussion in the forums though)

wu xing graph
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,211Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited December 6
    This is the format I use. Again, remove the underscore "_":

<_div class="Spoiler"_> <_/div_>

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    edited December 6
    Thanks, i wanted to add links to their trailers to compend that as well.

Edit: Hurray it works! Thanks again. <3
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 742Registered Users
    edited December 7
    Looks like Gongsun Zan has gotten the axe, or been set aside for DLC.

According to the 11 playable warlords theory, only two are left, and Yuan Shu and Dong Zhuo are indispensable.

I would have preferred Gongsun Zan over the likes of Kong Rong or Liu Biao. They could have been there as non-playable factions.