Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Steel & Statecraft Update

CA_EllaCA_Ella Posts: 315Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

Are you ready to take the throne?

The Steel & Statecraft Update is coming to Thrones of Britannia next week, and we’ve got some upcoming highlights for you to discover – including states, traits and more: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/the-steel-statecraft-update

Plus Thrones of Britannia is currently 33% off as part of the Steam Daily Deal – check it out here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/46642/

Comments

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,827Registered Users
    Man that's cool and all, but uhh, wrong forum
  • CA_EllaCA_Ella Posts: 315Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
    Krunch said:

I have no idea what you mean.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,400Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    Very cool to see ToB is not only still getting updates, but that the Dev team is still experimenting with and improving upon major game mechanics.

I liked the idea of the Estates system; it adds a bit to character and campaign management and it's something I'd like to see in future games (Medieval 3 Feudal system? Wink wink, nudge nudge), but it's always been very finicky. I'm glad that they're tweaking and reworking it now to get it just right, so that it can be an enjoyable part of gameplay in future games.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,036Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    I'm having issues with the estates, it's not obvious who owns what. I guess I'm still getting used to it though.

I was hoping for a little DLC news too..
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Looks mostly pretty good. Not sure recruitment needed improvement, though - I worry that what you've described there might be a step backwards. But we shall see.
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 2,272Registered Users
    Personally, I'm most excited for the AI changes. I also hope they fix/change crippling mechanics such as the "here king", which pretty much act as a death sentence for the player in many cases.
  • BeibarsBeibars Senior Member Posts: 200Registered Users
    Thank you CA! I have been waiting for updates to battle AI and recruitment improvements long time. Challenges will immerse me into virtual historical world. Now it's time to play Thrones of Britannia. Hail to the King!
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 1,138Registered Users
    I just started a campaign. Does is save compatible or should I restart it?
  • YarevYarev Senior Member Posts: 246Registered Users
    It's rude.

You dont tell the child he's going to get a sweet next week = that only breeds contempt

You tell a child here is a sweet and you give to him the same instant
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his" George S. Patton
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,404Registered Users
    I hope the changes to recruitment don't bring back the doomstacking that's plaguing all the other TW titles, I really really really hope so!

• LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    Nice, when is it available next week?

I hope the changes to recruitment don't bring back the doomstacking that's plaguing all the other TW titles, I really really really hope so!

Yeah, to me it sounds like they're killing the best part of the game to cater to the doomstack crowd. I really hope I'm wrong.
  • slapnut1207slapnut1207 Posts: 674Registered Users
    Interesting update, I like these changes.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

They always recommend restarting for things to work smoothly, so you might want to think about that when they release the new patch next week. But they also tend to release a 'rollback' beta, so you can keep playing now, opt into the rollback if you're not ready to give up the campaign when the update releases, then opt out of the rollback when you're ready to try the update.
    tak22 said:

Yeah, to me it sounds like they're killing the best part of the game to cater to the doomstack crowd. I really hope I'm wrong.
    Those people are actively resisting the games from actually improving just because they want to carelessly spam elites. The usual excuse is "SANDBOX!" totally ignoring that enforcing elite spam and making 80% of all units obsolete is the opposite of "SANDBOX!".

edited December 2018

tak22 said:

Those people are actively resisting the games from actually improving just because they want to carelessly spam elites. The usual excuse is "SANDBOX!" totally ignoring that enforcing elite spam and making 80% of all units obsolete is the opposite of "SANDBOX!".
    They could make that a option. I like to make large armies with a combined arms doctrine.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

• JADennisJADennis Posts: 5Registered Users
    What new DLC can we expect?
  • Total_War_VeteranTotal_War_Veteran Posts: 446Registered Users
    edited December 2018

I very agree here, looks like CA wanted to please the mass casuals that think all elite units are cool or badass , when in fact it will throw the game balance out of the window . Elite unit is should be scarce and their losses should be painful! Elite unit always scarce in reality.

Very disappointed here seeing one of the best feature of the game getting butchered for the sake of easiness!!
    Full support for CA and CA_Ella
    The more I think about it, I get that it can be frustrating when you go for ages without rolling an elite unit. OTOH, making things predictable I think takes the fun out of the game. By mid-late game, you should have enough great halls that you can get 1-2 elites in a recruitment reserve pretty consistently, but I've always thought that it was a bit exciting in the early game when you had an elite drop into your recruitment pool, due to the 1-2% chances. Making it guaranteed every x number of turns is going to kill some of the excitement.

Wish there were a way to balance between the two - a guaranteed replenishment time, and an early replenishment window/chance.
    edited December 2018
    You guys don't have to use elite units.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

Actually, given that the AI in TOB tends to field more elites than the player anyway, there's a pretty strong pressure built into the game to use whatever you have available. But even if one makes a 'house rule' limiting the use of elites, that's quite different from being challenged by the game design, since limited use isn't the same thing as limited availability.
  • JacklessJackless Junior Member Posts: 281Registered Users
    This Update is looking great. One thing is still missing though.
    Aquiring Recourses still does not have a big impact on the campaign. Higher Tier Buildings and Technologies should require some special recourses that you have to aquire first.
    Recourses serve no real purpose aside from generating more trade income at the moment.

Btw. trade, to put more emphasis on diplomacy and recourses, trade agreements shouldnt be automatic. If you want a recourse you dont have from another faction, you should have to give something back in return.

False thinking. In WH the AI throws nothing but elites at you come midgame. If you bring balanced stacks by that point you only handicap yourself, so no, you actually have to spam them yourself.

• MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 2,089Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    What about fixing back-stab diplomacy?
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• CA_dionisievCA_dionisiev Posts: 167Registered Users, CA Staff

Hey @Icestrugle :)

Ivan from the CA Sofia QA team here.
    We are not breaking the save games with this update, so you can go on with your conquests :)
    Cheers,
    Ivan Dionisiev
    CA Sofia QA Team

FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • CA_TeoKozCA_TeoKoz Posts: 25Registered Users, CA Staff
    Recruitment is not reverting back to doom stacks.

Retinue units have about 8-12 turns cooldown until replenishment, Elite units have 10-14 turns. They will still be in short supply, but without the random chance of never getting them.

Bonuses that reduce cooldowns are equally scarce, otherwise they would be easy to stack.
    Best Regards,
    Teodor Kozhukov
    CA Sofia Design Team
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,827Registered Users
    CA_Ella said:

Krunch said:

I have no idea what you mean.
    Cheeky
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 1,138Registered Users

Hey @Icestrugle :)

Ivan from the CA Sofia QA team here.
    We are not breaking the save games with this update, so you can go on with your conquests :)
    Thanks Ivan for the answer. Cheers!
    edited December 2018

False thinking. In WH the AI throws nothing but elites at you come midgame. If you bring balanced stacks by that point you only handicap yourself, so no, you actually have to spam them yourself.
    Well then, CA can fix the AI's recruitment then I guess. Oh wait, they already fixed the recruitment system so no need.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

CA_TeoKoz said:

Recruitment is not reverting back to doom stacks.

Retinue units have about 8-12 turns cooldown until replenishment, Elite units have 10-14 turns. They will still be in short supply, but without the random chance of never getting them.

Bonuses that reduce cooldowns are equally scarce, otherwise they would be easy to stack.

That seems a lot more frequent for elites than in the last patch which IMO was about perfect. Hope you guys lengthen the times a bit.

Are the replenishment times flat, or is there some variation (i.e. a variable range, rather than on turn x you always get another)? I agree the (so small I never experienced it) chance of never replenishing is undesirable, but so is making it too predictable.