Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Savage orc big 'Uns

konosmgrkonosmgr Posts: 161Registered Users
edited December 2018 in Multiplayer
I just can't wrap my head around using these units to fend off large units and especially cavalry, I don't think they are worth it for that price when GS can instead go wider with savage orcs and get cav or more archers to deal with large units.

Could you explain
  1. the concept of using them
  2. typical units you want them to be fighting
  3. how many of them you'd like to take in a battle.

Comments

• ExarchExarch Posts: 420Registered Users
    Very quickly: Don't think of them as anti large, more as a good all rounder unit to be mixed in with the frontline, or on the flanks of the main engagement.

Vs VC and TK I'll take 2 and 3 respectively, alongside 2 black orcs to be my infantry core. In infantry fights they are like budget black orcs: they die sooner, but hit harder against chaff too, so they can clear out skelle/GG front lines. With more models (+HP pool) and a spread formation they are less vulnerable to artillery and AP missiles than BO too, which is sometimes handy.

The BvL is a great extra when your opponent has large units mixed into the front lines, or if you can trap heavy cav using magic, bbbu or skulkers on the flank.
  • konosmgrkonosmgr Posts: 161Registered Users
    Exarch said:

Very quickly: Don't think of them as anti large, more as a good all rounder unit to be mixed in with the frontline, or on the flanks of the main engagement.

Vs VC and TK I'll take 2 and 3 respectively, alongside 2 black orcs to be my infantry core. In infantry fights they are like budget black orcs: they die sooner, but hit harder against chaff too, so they can clear out skelle/GG front lines. With more models (+HP pool) and a spread formation they are less vulnerable to artillery and AP missiles than BO too, which is sometimes handy.

The BvL is a great extra when your opponent has large units mixed into the front lines, or if you can trap heavy cav using magic, bbbu or skulkers on the flank.

Interesting, do they actually manage to solo something like skeleton spearmen plus ushabti?
  • ystyst Posts: 4,369Registered Users
    1. High dmg “shock infantry” with no worries of enemy monster infantry mix on the frontline. Unlike say throwing chaos 2h and see them getting beat by fimirs.

2. They should have no problem dealing with anything their price range. U want their charge to count, so find the strongest opponent i suppose

3. Vs faction like tombs, like 6 lol. Normally... maybe 0-2 suffice. Really good vs liz too.

Only really use them offensively. If playing differently just get the regular $800 ones i suppose

They r shock inf with anti large as a bonus at least thats how i see them.
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • kiruxa2811kiruxa2811 Posts: 52Registered Users
    I think savage orc big uns is a great unit, it’s just depends of the match up and your expectations from opponents build. Personally I think it’s a must have against TK, LM and vampire coast.
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Posts: 782Registered Users
    They're a surprisingly good counter to units like Sisters of Slaughter too in my experience, because they can jack their MA up higher than BO's can, which is a big saving grace when you need to be breaking through 60 MD, especially when the AP is practically irrelevant.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • UniverseBearUniverseBear Posts: 113Registered Users
    The anti-large is really just a bonus. They aren't really anti-anything specifically. What they are is good at almost any kind of melee fight. They are extremely versatile, which in multiplayer is great. They beat down chaff hard and fast, they beat down monsters hard and fast, they beat down calv hard and fast (especially when combined with Nasty Skulker's and smoke bombs). With waaagh's and especially with Wurzag they can even trade well with highly armored infantry/calv. They are even resistant to terror and fear. There is a certain advantage you have in multiplayer when you can field a unit that can deal with almost any type of unit in the game (besides missiles I guess).

I guess a downside is that they are a little expensive. For most matchups I always bring 2 and keep them in the second line where they can either move to protect archers or move to take down monstrous infantry/monsters or fill in gaps. There are a few matchups where you can actually bring a frontline of them.

Tomb Kings: You can bring 6 here. They wreck all TK infantry including tomb guard, they wreck ushabti, they wreck monsters. The only downfall here can be if TK brings lots of ranged. Lately I've swapped out 2 SOBU's for 4 SO to go a bit wider but still bring 4 SOBU's.

Lizardmen: SOBU's are just a bit more expensive than Saurus with shields and have comparable stats. But with waaagh and Wurzag's buffs they can outtrade Saurus easily and will take on any monsters pretty effectively. You can take 6 here. The only risk is if they go with a skirmish build, then it's gg.

Brettonia: So far this build has never ever gotten a loss for me. 6 SOBU, 5 Nasty Skulkers. Done. I'm not even sure what Brettonia can do against this build. Every time they charge in you'll have a smoke bomb ready. Buff SOBUs and do massive damage. Rinse and repeat. If they bring infantry it's RIP for Brettonia as SOBU's absolutely shrek Bret infantry. I guess the only thing they can do is go mass archers? But who is going to do that? No-one. I kind of stopped using this build because it felt cheesy and unfair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file