Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Steel & Statecraft Update Patch Notes

CA_EllaCA_Ella Posts: 317Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

The Steel & Statecraft Patch for Thrones of Britannia is now live! Your game should update with it automatically.

To read the full patch notes and to find out more about what’s included in this latest update, click here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/the-steel-statecraft-update-patch-notes

Comments

• YavorYavor Posts: 39Registered Users
    Good work, CA! Thank you for your work on Thrones of Britannia! Happy Holidays and all the Best!
  • toskyruntoskyrun Junior Member Posts: 84Registered Users
    Thank you guys!
  • PERICLES1789PERICLES1789 Junior Member Posts: 71Registered Users
    Manys thanks about this patch and good holidays.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,148Registered Users
    Looks good, nice to see positive attributes added to estates.

I'm really appreciating how especially with Thrones feedback is really turned into action.

Good work!
  • InocybeInocybe Posts: 144Registered Users
    For the love of god, fix your damn cavalry !!!! After fighting another unit, they loose their cohesion and act terrible. This has been reported several times, but I know you don't actually visit the bug report forum... Otherwise new features are great, but please, do something...
  • MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 2,107Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    Thank fo.r patch. Especially siege tower path fix. :)

But Stone of Destiny quest still have to capture settlement? I think CA attend to change its to raiding instead. :/
    Post edited by MrMecH on
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users
    Awesome update :)
  • BeibarsBeibars Senior Member Posts: 201Registered Users
    Good work! ToB has significantly been improved. Now AI is OK but keep working on it, make it better.
  • YarevYarev Senior Member Posts: 246Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    Is it just me or the game crashes after the new update. Never had any until today.

(not using any mods)
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his" George S. Patton
  • cabbottcabbott Junior Member Posts: 31Registered Users
    A lot of good stuff in this patch but I think my favorite is the Political slider. Being able to change it separately will be nice for us and new players.
  • Highlander1776Highlander1776 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Even though I’ve put a few hundred hours into the game already and enjoyed the game before - I believe the update is awesome and makes the game even better!
    Thank you CA!!
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,233Registered Users
    Thank you very much for fixing the achievements! I was clinging to the hope that you would look into it in this update!

Just for information though, 7 achievements are still listed as 0% on steam. Are those working properly? I could not find anyone who got them.
    edited December 2018
    I tried a few rounds with Mercia and I can say that now the game is almost a great game.
    the added maps are fantastic! huge!
    even the work on AI is well done, and all the implementations described are fine.

two things are missing for me, and then I'll be quiet forever: :D

1) ambushes: how is it possible, for the love of God, that in a game set in the darkest and most stinking period in the history of man there are no ambushes? in a land full of forests and evil intent! I'm not the only one to ask for it, and it's a technology that you've already implemented successfully. this will remain one of the great mysteries in the history of total war.

2) space-time: here guys the game is really broken: it is not possible that the armies, to go from Bebbamburg to London should be 3-4 years. is absurd. if it would not have been possible to make the armies march faster, then it would have been better and more credible as in napoleon: 3 turns per season.
    everything would have been much more credible and harder (a winter of three shifts, with famine and attrition ... better to look for peace.)

it's my thought, but I hope that sooner or later you do it before the modders do...
    good job guys :#
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,148Registered Users
    Thanks a lot. Will be playing this evening!
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    toskyrun said:

I tried a few rounds with Mercia and I can say that now the game is almost a great game.
    even the work on AI is well done, and all the implementations described are fine.

1) ambushes: how is it possible, for the love of God, that in a game set in the darkest and most stinking period in the history of man there are no ambushes? in a land full of forests and evil intent! I'm not the only one to ask for it, and it's a technology that you've already implemented successfully. this will remain one of the great mysteries in the history of total war.

2) space-time: here guys the game is really broken: it is not possible that the armies, to go from Bebbamburg to London should be 3-4 years. is absurd. if it would not have been possible to make the armies march faster, then it would have been better and more credible as in napoleon: 3 turns per season.
    everything would have been much more credible and harder (a winter of three shifts, with famine and attrition ... better to look for peace.)

it's my thought, but I hope that sooner or later you do it before the modders do...

1. Ambushes were meh. Don't miss them, personally.
    2. Every TW game ever. Don't know why people are complaining on this game, but not any of the others?
    tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

2. Every TW game ever. Don't know why people are complaining on this game, but not any of the others?
    1) whether you like them or not, ambushes MUST be part of a game if this game claims to be historically faithful if not historically accurate. we speak of an historical period where it was fought mainly in this way, and the field battles were few in comparison.

2) you're right, in every single episode. but here we went further: the feeling of trampling a GIANT england where it takes six months to go from one village to another, not even set in Siberia. it's too much, you feel it playing, unlike the other games.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,762Registered Users
    toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

1) whether you like them or not, ambushes MUST be part of a game if this game claims to be historically faithful if not historically accurate. we speak of an historical period where it was fought mainly in this way, and the field battles were few in comparison.

2) you're right, in every single episode. but here we went further: the feeling of trampling a GIANT england where it takes six months to go from one village to another, not even set in Siberia. it's too much, you feel it playing, unlike the other games.
    Eh, name three battles from that period in Britain that were TW style ambushes.

• norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    I've played about 20 turns as mercia too just to see how game plays now. I think UI improvements look great and estates mechanic are fun especially the estates missions. I played on lower politics just because I got tired of all of the civil wars I like having that choice. I'm just not good at micromanaging the loyalty of my generals or governors I guess. I like all of the new building chains and traits is fun just to name a few. I have one thing that kind of bothers me I kind of wish CA would let us know when another factions daughter becomes available for marriage, I hate looking through all of factions to find available daughter to marry. I like to marry my heir to the throne into one of my allies factions like kings did in real life just for fun. I actually think the game is pretty good as it is but all games could use some improvements. I think this update is a big improvement especially the option to choose how you want to play politics great job CA.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    I am impressed, this might just get me back into thrones.

The only remaining request I have is possibly a modding one. Although if CA can do it I would love it.

If we could gain the annex ability of any civilization through marriage.

If your daughter married the king and they have a son but the king dies. You should be able to annex the faction.

Likewise if you marry the daughter of the king and he dies you should be able to annex the faction.

Obviously political power and diplomacy should still matter. But it would be a fun way to play. Look at Alfred and aethelfled Wessex and Mercia.
  • walterkanewalterkane Senior Member Posts: 449Registered Users

toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

"Vikings were notorious for laying ambushes and using woods to lay in wait for armies approaching along established roads.". abels 2009

I too would like to see ambush battles re-implemented
  • CA_dionisievCA_dionisiev Posts: 167Registered Users, CA Staff
    Fossoway said:

Thank you very much for fixing the achievements! I was clinging to the hope that you would look into it in this update!

Just for information though, 7 achievements are still listed as 0% on steam. Are those working properly? I could not find anyone who got them.

Hey @Fossoway :)

We have retested the achievements and they should all work now. Thing is that some of them were intentionally made (very) hard to get... Something of a reward for the real die-hard fans. With not that many days since the update it is quite possible that no-one has got to them yet. :)

Thanks for the heads up :)
    Cheers,
    Ivan Dionisiev
    CA Sofia QA Team

FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,233Registered Users

Fossoway said:

Hey @Fossoway :)

We have retested the achievements and they should all work now. Thing is that some of them were intentionally made (very) hard to get... Something of a reward for the real die-hard fans. With not that many days since the update it is quite possible that no-one has got to them yet. :)

Thanks for the heads up :)
    That's perfect! Sorry for being this nitpicky about this, I know I must have been quite insistent on the forum this past few months. I wanted Thrones to feel complete (and be able to be completed) and now I am very satisfied. Thank you again for your hard work and for staying committed to the game!
  • KingsGuardofArchersKingsGuardofArchers Posts: 33Registered Users
    Interesting update, looking forward to exploring in more detail.

Unfortunately I've had to halt my campaign as is seems to have caused some weirdness with previously researched technologies no longer providing unit unlocks, despite the research still being ticked off.

I'm also certain I completed the first cavalry tech before the update and it now appears to have become available again as though it had not been researched.

toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

"Vikings were notorious for laying ambushes and using woods to lay in wait for armies approaching along established roads.". abels 2009

That's raiding and skirmishes, not actual battles. Simulated through raiding stance.

Challenge still stands. Three battles from that era that were ambushes.

That's raiding and skirmishes, not actual battles. Simulated through raiding stance.

Firstly, total war battles range in scope from tiny skirmishes to pitched affairs so ambushes definitely fit within those brackets even if you'd struggle to find documented examples of large-scale ones. They are certainly not represented by raiding stance in any way, shape or form.

Secondly, setting an an arbitrary requirement to provide three examples of a thing before it becomes eligible for inclusion in the game is simply ridiculous. Name three examples of warhounds being used in battle, for instance. How many times did the vikings use siege towers? I'm pretty sure the ninth century is slightly before the daneaxe actually begins to seriously take off, certainly among non-viking peoples, so should they be removed for everyone other than the northmen?

Of course not. It's about giving choice to the player. The more different tools the player has to achieve their ends (as long as they are at least plausible) the better. Besides in the case of ambushes it's perfectly possible that some were simply undocumented.

• walterkanewalterkane Senior Member Posts: 449Registered Users

toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

Yeah, I'm going to trust the opinion of an actual Viking historian over that of "Ephraim_Dalton" from a video game forum, no offense.

Here is a few ambush battles from in or around this time period

Battle of Dun Nechtain 685

Battle of Corbridge 918

Bouvines 1214

Battle of Glen Trool 1307
  • CA_dionisievCA_dionisiev Posts: 167Registered Users, CA Staff

Unfortunately I've had to halt my campaign as is seems to have caused some weirdness with previously researched technologies no longer providing unit unlocks, despite the research still being ticked off.

I'm also certain I completed the first cavalry tech before the update and it now appears to have become available again as though it had not been researched.

Hello @KingsGuardofArchers

Sadly there is indeed an issue present that affects the technologies researched in pre-patch save games. This may affect the recruitment of higher tier units. For now what we can recommend to alleviate the situation is to either continue with the present save game on the allegiance_patch Beta on Steam, or to start a new campaign on the Steel and Statecraft patch.
    Sorry for the inconvenience...

Do enjoy your holidays and happy conquering :)
    Cheers,
    Ivan Dionisiev
    CA Sofia QA Team

FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Hello @KingsGuardofArchers

Sadly there is indeed an issue present that affects the technologies researched in pre-patch save games. This may affect the recruitment of higher tier units. For now what we can recommend to alleviate the situation is to either continue with the present save game on the allegiance_patch Beta on Steam, or to start a new campaign on the Steel and Statecraft patch.
    Sorry for the inconvenience...

Do enjoy your holidays and happy conquering :)
    Thanks for the reply. It's actually a multiplayer campaign so I will see what my adversary wants to do and we'll find a way to continue.

Happy holidays to you too!
    edited December 2018

toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

Yeah, I'm going to trust the opinion of an actual Viking historian over that of "Ephraim_Dalton" from a video game forum, no offense.

Battle of Corbridge 918

Bouvines 1214

Looked them up.

None are ambush battles in the TW style.

The claim was made that most battles in the Viking Age were TW style ambushes hence the demand to bring it back. TW style ambushes are always Teutoburg Forest style complete surprises where an army on the march is attacked out of the blue. The battles you offer contain parts of the army being concealed and attacking unexpectedly during a regular setpiece battle. Something that's already possible in regular ToB battles.

Bouvines and Glen Trool aren't even in taking place in the viking age so they're irrelevant.

Challenge still stands.

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,148Registered Users

toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

toskyrun said:

tak22 said:

toskyrun said:

Battle of Corbridge 918

Bouvines 1214

Looked them up.

None are ambush battles in the TW style.

The claim was made that most battles in the Viking Age were TW style ambushes hence the demand to bring it back. TW style ambushes are always Teutoburg Forest style complete surprises where an army on the march is attacked out of the blue. The battles you offer contain parts of the army being concealed and attacking unexpectedly during a regular setpiece battle. Something that's already possible in regular ToB battles.

Bouvines and Glen Trool aren't even in taking place in the viking age so they're irrelevant.

Challenge still stands.
    True, I'm sure Battle of Dun Nechtain was more to do with Parthian tactics than a normal ambush.