Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Performance Talk: Intelcore i-7 4790 good CPU for this game?

2»

Comments

• SgtBDeepSgtBDeep Posts: 41Registered Users
    Guys, everything is set to Ultra, the PC is just working hard. Lower shadows and grass detail to high, porthole quality to 2D and I bet the FPS stabilizes and temps drop a bit on their own. This game is demanding, not every setup can run the game on Ultra.

You should also be able to put your VFX quality up to high or ultra. If you want more FPS try turning screen space reflections off as well. Just tweak your settings before you start buying new coolers and fans. Seriously, the visual difference between Ultra and High settings isn't that big but the performance gains sure are.
    Just to add to my comment a bit. Before I built a new PC I was playing this game on an i7 2700K with a GTX 970 and 8 GB of RAM. I used the "High" preset and I was hovering around 45 to 60+ FPS depending on the scene. OP's setup is better than my old machine, just tweak your settings!
  • froloffrolof Posts: 299Registered Users
    SgtBDeep said:

Just to add to my comment a bit. Before I built a new PC I was playing this game on an i7 2700K with a GTX 970 and 8 GB of RAM. I used the "High" preset and I was hovering around 45 to 60+ FPS depending on the scene. OP's setup is better than my old machine, just tweak your settings!

I like how you talk like I have never done that before :P
    Look at my game settings, they're already tweaked. still reach like 30-20 FPS quite often during battles. However, it is usually revolving around under 20x20 battles. I wish this game was optimised to 40x40 which this game boldly supports despite the engine getting ruptured under the heavy stress.
    Well buying a new cooler isn't going to fix your problem, that's bizarre advice. In a battle your FPS is driven by your GPU, if your FPS isn't as high as you'd like you have a couple of options. You can lower your settings, you can lower your resolution or you can upgrade your GPU.

You can tell if your CPU or GPU is bottlenecking by opening the hardware monitor while you're playing. When your FPS drops is your CPU sitting at 100% utilization? Is your GPU? If your CPU is at 100% and your GPU isn't, that means your CPU is bottlenecking the system. The CPU isn't feeding the GPU data fast enough to saturate the card. In that case a new CPU would see some performance improvement in the system.

If the opposite is true and your GPU is at 100% and the CPU isn't that means your card is just working as hard as it can. The only way to improve performance in that situation is to lower the settings and/or resolution.
    frolof said:

Look at my game settings, they're already tweaked. still reach like 30-20 FPS quite often during battles. However, it is usually revolving around under 20x20 battles. I wish this game was optimised to 40x40 which this game boldly supports despite the engine getting ruptured under the heavy stress.

Your settings are NOT tweaked. You are playing on Ultra. You have demanding settings set to Ultra and not demanding settings set to medium. If that is tweaked settings its poorly done.

Why not open Geforce Experience and let the software tweak the settings automatically? Personally I'd just set the preset to high and call it a day.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,826Registered Users
    SgtBDeep said:

Well buying a new cooler isn't going to fix your problem, that's bizarre advice. In a battle your FPS is driven by your GPU, if your FPS isn't as high as you'd like you have a couple of options. You can lower your settings, you can lower your resolution or you can upgrade your GPU.

You can tell if your CPU or GPU is bottlenecking by opening the hardware monitor while you're playing. When your FPS drops is your CPU sitting at 100% utilization? Is your GPU? If your CPU is at 100% and your GPU isn't, that means your CPU is bottlenecking the system. The CPU isn't feeding the GPU data fast enough to saturate the card. In that case a new CPU would see some performance improvement in the system.

If the opposite is true and your GPU is at 100% and the CPU isn't that means your card is just working as hard as it can. The only way to improve performance in that situation is to lower the settings and/or resolution.

No duh a cooler won't help him. He was asking for advice about it anyway.

His thermals are fine.Intel CPUs only throttle once they hit 100C. Below that the performance is exactly the same at any temperature. The only benefit he will gain from getting better cooling is by lowering the heat he is currently at and then overclocking. It won't help the peak FPS he is getting but it will help raise his minimums a bit.

Thats not true, it depends on his board and his bios settings or even software if he use some to controll it. I'm not talking about an emergency shut down from the pc when the cpu gets grilled but a possible build in controll which starts to massively reduce the cpu output once the set temperature is reached. As he is already near 80°C and probably his fan at max speed, this could result in a temporary setting for minimal performance which could be just enough to bottleneck the gpu and resulting in performance spikes or basically drastical frame drops because his cpu is dancing between minimal and normal speed while trying to stay under 80°C. Ofcourse I don't know his bios and its settings or his additional tools, so its just a possibility.
    It is actually very much true. No software and very limited BIOS's(as in extreme boards meant for extreme overclocking) will allow you to change those settings, even then the motherboard manufacturer cannot change TjMAX at 105C as the CPU will shutdown regardless, they can only change the throttle point. Intel will throttle at 100C on 99% of consumer's PCs. It will thermal shutdown at 105C. You may find that on the intel website and there are articles testing this as well if you're inclined to learn more.

No GPU will be bottlenecked with his CPU unless you runs a low resolution and super high framerate, which he is not. Performance does not degrade as temperature goes up. A CPU running 4.7ghz at 10C is the same as running 4.7ghz at 80C. It only differs once throttling sets in, which he is not running into.

• DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    I have a GTX 1080 and a new I5.

Got some good gaming gear with have no trouble with the latest games on ultra (think about assassins creed origins for example) . FPS drops in this game a very very common. Don't worry to much about that :)
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
    edited December 2018
    SgtBDeep said:

frolof said:

Your settings are NOT tweaked. You are playing on Ultra. You have demanding settings set to Ultra and not demanding settings set to medium. If that is tweaked settings its poorly done.

Why not open Geforce Experience and let the software tweak the settings automatically? Personally I'd just set the preset to high and call it a day.
    "Set preset to High and call it a day" that is not professional tweaking in my opinion. Yes, I have been tweaking to my liking, you just look at the initial picture I have on the thread, I have done far more tweaking than just that, I have mods to support my tweaking process, example, removes dust, reduce impact of trails etc.

Also, regarding usage of GPU and CPU, neither is at 100%. Check the images and you'd know (although my CPU usage wasn't present, but I did reply to that previously).
    DarkLordD said:

Got some good gaming gear with have no trouble with the latest games. FPS drops in this games a very very common. Don't worry to much about that :)

I am well aware. Still would love if, you know, we didn't have to deal with mega fluctuating FPS drops.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    frolof said:

DarkLordD said:

Got some good gaming gear with have no trouble with the latest games. FPS drops in this games a very very common. Don't worry to much about that :)

I am well aware. Still would love if, you know, we didn't have to deal with mega fluctuating FPS drops.
    I get what you mean. Mostly I only have trouble when fighting skaven in high numbers. Then it drops dramatically.

I do have unlimited memory on and I keep my v synch on so that it keeps up with my monitor. Overall I would say in battle I am fine mostly with fps. You might want to try that.

I play everything on ultra and also ultra unit size. I do have a lot of cooling for my pc (water cooled) and use the gaming curve on the graphic engine programe. Might all work. You got that program too ? Try something with that. Might all work perhaps!

Not to knowlagable about these things though , excuse me if it's misinformation.
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
    frolof said:

"Set preset to High and call it a day" that is not professional tweaking in my opinion. Yes, I have been tweaking to my liking, you just look at the initial picture I have on the thread, I have done far more tweaking than just that, I have mods to support my tweaking process, example, removes dust, reduce impact of trails etc.

Also, regarding usage of GPU and CPU, neither is at 100%. Check the images and you'd know (although my CPU usage wasn't present, but I did reply to that previously).

Good luck man. You seem to want the impossible and disregard any information that points out it's impossible. Enjoy your game.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,826Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    frolof said:

DarkLordD said:

It's just down to the massive amount of calculating the engine has to do with so many models. Each model will have a shadow, animation, reflection (metal reflecting light), constantly updating unit stats(buffs/debuffs), RNG of hitting another model, etc. So when you have 8000 units on screen puts into perspective how much is going on under the hood and I didn't even list everything. Warhammer 1 was fine but with Warhammer 2 and the increase in graphic quality it seems to be a little to much when to many things get on the screen.
    SgtBDeep said:

frolof said:

Good luck man. You seem to want the impossible and disregard any information that points out it's impossible. Enjoy your game.
    You have done nothing to help, have not read the thread, and have given the same advice multiple times after he told you he's done that. Please leave if you have no intentions to help.
    SgtBDeep said:

frolof said:

Gets met with an argument, thinks I am impossible.
    I never said I didn't heed your comments, you just write with an attitude that I find more like "I am right, you're wrong so listen to me" type. And cheers for the good luck!
    edited December 2018

It's just down to the massive amount of calculating the engine has to do with so many models. Each model will have a shadow, animation, reflection (metal reflecting light), constantly updating unit stats(buffs/debuffs), RNG of hitting another model, etc. So when you have 8000 units on screen puts into perspective how much is going on under the hood and I didn't even list everything. Warhammer 1 was fine but with Warhammer 2 and the increase in graphic quality it seems to be a little to much when to many things get on the screen.

Cheers, I have indeed figured that. I just find it kind of sad that there's so much eyecandy options, yet in the grand scheme it's pointless because you can't really run in properly and play the game as it should be played with HUGE armies (in my opinion). But then again, I guess it sets it up for some future replayability once technology sets in.

Or pointless because the engine can't handle it regardless.