Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lord of the Rings: Total War

Spartan26Spartan26 Posts: 1Registered Users
So me and my friend were discussing how awesome it would be if SEGA could team up with Middle-earth Enterprises (Lord of the Rings Owners/Creators) to do a Lord of the Rings: Total War Edition. Each Faction is already apparent, whether its the valor from the Men of the West or the Brutality from the Orcs of Gundabad; the warmongering would be EPIC. But anyways I'd love to hear what you guys think about this and its possibilities.

Comments

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,538Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Off Topic, to join all the other threads on the same topic.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 1,909Registered Users
    I'm sure someone else has the current rights to LotRs. I'd give the mod a try on MTW2, I really enjoyed.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 8,483Registered Users
    After what happen with the Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II it don't seems like a good idea. Also the Warhammer Fantasy Setting is basically have all the stuff from Lord of the Rings plus much additional stuff, so what there is to be so excited about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Battle_for_Middle-earth_II#Post-release
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,383Registered Users
    Battle for Middle Earth II was such an awesome game, but it's getting a bit dated. I think EA is the current holder of the IP for the LOTR IP for video games, and I doubt they'd want to relinquish it to CA...
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,002Registered Users
  • JerroserJerroser Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    SiWI said:

the rights situation and the price that come with the licence makes a official TW LotR unlikely.

I believe the rights are actually still owned by the remaining members of Tolkin's family, which they licence out to various parties. Right now Warner Brothers still have an agreement with them to use the IP and EA for video games but its not an exclusive right that can't be handed out and its only a temporary lease. So its not out of the questions for CA/SEGA to make an agreement to use it.

Although but I think I might have heard somewhere that after the Hobbits reception the Estate has become a bit more reserved about letting out these rights. Which might still make it unlikely for the time being.
  • Total War ftwTotal War ftw Member Posts: 1,184Registered Users
    I was thinking this or even Game of Thrones would be awesome! :D
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 14,980Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    Jerroser said:

SiWI said:

the rights situation and the price that come with the licence makes a official TW LotR unlikely.

I believe the rights are actually still owned by the remaining members of Tolkin's family, which they licence out to various parties. Right now Warner Brothers still have an agreement with them to use the IP and EA for video games but its not an exclusive right that can't be handed out and its only a temporary lease. So its not out of the questions for CA/SEGA to make an agreement to use it.

Although but I think I might have heard somewhere that after the Hobbits reception the Estate has become a bit more reserved about letting out these rights. Which might still make it unlikely for the time being.
    It doesn't matter what the Tolkien estate holds onto because any major media release not using the movie's aesthetics is bound to be obscure or bomb and those rights rest with WB.

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 1,909Registered Users
    The weird thing is I don't think LotRs would work due to faction balance. Imagine the darker factions having access to magic users, heavy beastial infantry and rare larger beastial units while the 2 main human factions will look more like a basic medieval race.