Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Quick Battle Ladder

davinaqdavinaq Junior MemberPosts: 14Registered Users

I have no incentive to play ladder for the following reasons. 1 - It has not been reset for ages, unless you are able to play the game 24/7 you have very little chance to get to the top 100. 2 - Found Match and other bugs, just annoying that CA will not fix them, 3 - Poor design. The system they use is not great, it promotes draw kitting, if it was more like the FFA system there would be no point to draw kite as if you are behind in points you would lose by default. Also even if you lose and do well you could get good points. Ranking would be bassed on average points over a number of games.
Even a basic reset would give me least some incentive to play QB.

Comments

• tank3487tank3487 Member Posts: 835Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    davinaq said:

1 - It has not been reset for ages, unless you are able to play the game 24/7 you have very little chance to get to the top 100.

It is not hard to get to top 100. Even with some bugs(it is more problematic for rank than losses) that would cost you points.
    Due to no matchmaking system. Most players that you would meet are not good. If you had created a couple of good tactics vs each faction(especially vs common counter picks), losses would be a quite rare thing.
    Player that is good is quite a few in numbers with some time you can track all good players(and they playstyle) that play at the same time as you. Plus if you lose to top 100 player you point lose would not be so significant.

IMHO reset are a good thing, simply due to a good chunk of the leaderboard are occupied by players that used cheese tactic that would not work now and they do not lose points if they do not play.
  • davinaqdavinaq Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    I was just having a bit of a moan, sure if i played very well i could get top 100, i have been there already in Shogun and WH1 but when the ladder is so bunged up it would take maybe 200 plus games ? Even with a 80% win rate; not sure but a huge amount of time for a working person with a family. If ladder had a little love and reset every now and again i think it would be good for everyone,
  • AerocrasticAerocrastic Posts: 233Registered Users
    Getting to top 100 is difficult. Not one of skill either. It's a pretty serious time commitment. If you notice, some of the lowest numbers of wins you'll see in the top 100 are still in the 200's and that's probably with a 95% win rate or higher. Part of the issue is that people will reach a certain rank, then decide to stop playing quick battles for the most part (I'm guilty of this too) which locks in a spot until someone else can surpass them in points. The top 100 players probably fluctuates between the same 150 or so players partly as a result of this. While I uphold that multiplayer lobbies are best for trying to find a fun match and not any less "quick" than quick battles, tracking your progress in the leaderboard can understandably be fun too.

A ladderboard reset would probably give people quite a bit of incentive to play more, but especially so for those that care about their ranking. My only concern is that this will increase the number of particularly egregious armies you encounter on ladder as the number with very little incentive is already high enough to expect it.
  • ystyst Posts: 4,080Registered Users
    Dont worry too much about it, plenty of rank breaking bugs running around atm.

Those crashes can easily send any top players down to the 1000s in 1 match. Wins a game, crash to desktop rightafter. Or opponent drops and u get a lose. All these can very easily wiped 2000-3000 points off u. Some matches u only get like 20 points per win lol...

https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Posts: 1,995Registered Users
    It wouldn't hurt if people leaked points if inactive.
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Posts: 639Registered Users
    yst said:

Dont worry too much about it, plenty of rank breaking bugs running around atm.

Those crashes can easily send any top players down to the 1000s in 1 match. Wins a game, crash to desktop rightafter. Or opponent drops and u get a lose. All these can very easily wiped 2000-3000 points off u. Some matches u only get like 20 points per win lol...

Had the first one happen to me. Winning twice in a row only to have an immediate crash thereafter followed by losing hundreds of ranks is, to put it kindly, a bit disheartening.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • kiruxa2811kiruxa2811 Posts: 52Registered Users
    It’s not that hard to get to top 100, but right now it’s definitely not worth the time and risk of losing your score in 1 battle because of crash.
  • Rithrin216Rithrin216 Posts: 86Registered Users
    Lol at all the people not in top 100 saying it's not hard to get to top 100.
    @rithrin216 never met you on the ladder either. I guess you don’t know how it feels like to be moved from 31 to 1000 because of the crash issues.

@rithrin216 never met you on the ladder either. I guess you don’t know how it feels like to be moved from 31 to 1000 because of the crash issues.

What does that have to do with anything? Did you just want to tell people you were 31 on ladder once?

It's just amusing to me when people want to dismiss the effort people put in to accomplish something by convincing themselves they could easily do it too even though they haven't. Maybe its not the case with you but its so obvious this is usually the reason.

Sure there are some people who use shady tactics to climb ladder but for the most part keeping such a high win rate is not at all easy to do, especially now a days when more people play multiplayer and there a lot more skilled players around, as well as more matchups you need to know how to play.

• UniverseBearUniverseBear Posts: 103Registered Users

What does that have to do with anything? Did you just want to tell people you were 31 on ladder once?

It's just amusing to me when people want to dismiss the effort people put in to accomplish something by convincing themselves they could easily do it too even though they haven't. Maybe its not the case with you but its so obvious this is usually the reason.

Sure there are some people who use shady tactics to climb ladder but for the most part keeping such a high win rate is not at all easy to do, especially now a days when more people play multiplayer and there a lot more skilled players around, as well as more matchups you need to know how to play.

Why so dismissive of people? Just because some people may not have gotten to top 100 doesnt mean they don't know what it would take. I play about 3-4 matches a week and have been playing for a few months now. I'm around 134 on ladder. I may not be top 100 but I certainly understand that it's very possible to do and have enough experience to tell that to OP. Jeez

Why so dismissive of people? Just because some people may not have gotten to top 100 doesnt mean they don't know what it would take. I play about 3-4 matches a week and have been playing for a few months now. I'm around 134 on ladder. I may not be top 100 but I certainly understand that it's very possible to do and have enough experience to tell that to OP. Jeez
    I'm only dismissive of the people who say it's not difficult to be top 100 because they have no idea what they're talking about. If you're 134 you should know how fast your rank can tank with a couple losses. Of course it's possible to be top 100. But it takes time, skill, and effort. It's not the same as WH1 days where you could just spam yeomen archers or something.

It’s not about me being 31 once, it’s about one crash ruining score people were working on for some time. If you never encountered it then you’ll never be top 100, because almost everyone who plays quick battles for that amount of time met it once at least. Without those bugs and crashes it would’ve been easy to get to top 100 in a week. As tank said 99% of the players are not that good, this makes it easy to get there. Also it’s not about skill at all, you can spam one strat without changing it in different match ups and win.
  • konosmgrkonosmgr Posts: 108Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    AFAIK you do not get penalised for the first crash of the day.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 2,466Registered Users
    Good post about the problems with the ladder.

That said it’s still a fun challenge, to get to top 100 you need to have around a 90% win rate, which requires some skill. And if you do lose to cheesy builds or get draw kited those are usually high ranked people, so you don’t lose much progress nor do you face that too often.

I enjoyed the challenge of building armies that are very versatile and after a loss figuring out how to be ready next time.

@konosmgr It’s 24 hours at least, so from that time It could happen to me tomorrow nope? If you are an active player at least on weekends you are in group of danger.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Posts: 1,330Registered Users
    edited December 2018

It’s not about me being 31 once, it’s about one crash ruining score people were working on for some time. If you never encountered it then you’ll never be top 100, because almost everyone who plays quick battles for that amount of time met it once at least. Without those bugs and crashes it would’ve been easy to get to top 100 in a week. As tank said 99% of the players are not that good, this makes it easy to get there. Also it’s not about skill at all, you can spam one strat without changing it in different match ups and win.
    Yeah, this is sadly mostly correct ^^

Not about the week part. I've been in the top 100 multiple times, and so I know it is a pretty heavy time-suck. Once you hit page 3 or 4, you start getting 100 points per win or less, and losing 500 points for every loss, with a 10,000-15,000 point gap between you and the top 100 'entry' point. So even with a 90% winrate, you'd need to play hundreds of games to make the climb. More than that if your winrate is only 75%-80%. Guess how much time that takes depends on how much you play per day, but I think for most people, that's more than a week's worth.

That being said, if you're willing to invest the time...the rest of that post is tragically spot on. I'm a slightly above average/mediocre player myself...but yeah, you can spam a single flexible build with one race and climb. Even losing the odd match to actually good players won't stop you, and you don't face good players often enough to keep you down. Most of the top 100 is actually made up of mediocre cheesy climbers. Not all of it ofc. And plenty of REALLY good players aren't the top 100, but could be, if they spent more time on the quick battle ladder instead of...like...actually practicing in custom matches.

As to the point loss bugs...I haven't encountered them. I HAVE encountered some frustrating drop hackers from time to time. But a bug/glitch has never stopped me from climbing or kicked me from the top 100.

Bugs or not...the ladder overall would be much healthier if they changed it so a similar number of wins would offset a similar number of losses...so as long as your winrate was above 50% in any capacity, then you would be climbing. Of course, some sort of power matching or MMR would likely be needed to make that type of system work.

@konosmgr It’s 24 hours at least, so from that time It could happen to me tomorrow nope? If you are an active player at least on weekends you are in group of danger.

Basically made the game unplayable if ure after rank. Its impossible to wait for a day for a game. Where do any1 even get that kind of commitment for a game lol, its suppose to be fun with ladder providing some sort of accomplishment whatever it is to whoever feels that way.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • konosmgrkonosmgr Posts: 108Registered Users
    yst said:

Basically made the game unplayable if ure after rank. Its impossible to wait for a day for a game.whatever it is to whoever feels that way.
    I might partially agree, but the current ranked system isn't aimed at distinguishing the best players from each other, it's very rudimentary and doesn't account for many variables. I don't think it's that hard to regain top 100 once you have been there recently, even though players that achieve top 100 and then park there, make it harder to do so. E.g I know someone who fell from top 30 to top 150 due to non-deliberately dropping from QB's, and is back in top 100 in a couple days. I'd advise anyone to pick and choose their opponent, and try to preferably match with opponents in the same rank or greater, not only there's greater reward for higher risk but also it makes the matches less of a pubstomp for new players. All you have to do is win a hell of a lot more than you lose- against the right people. That's the sad thing about the QB's ranking system- if you're only after the points , you reach a plato where you only play your known factions and you don't experiment, thus for the most part learning nothing apart from improving your micro.
    Yea, counter picking is still a huge part of quick match. A lot of even or may be equal fights r left out, simply because ppl think some other factions r better counter.

Beastman, orks, chaos and nosca, these 4 fighting each other is super rare imo. Mostly it will be one of these vs others. Only CA knows the truth
  • davinaqdavinaq Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    davinaq said:

I have no incentive to play ladder for the following reasons. 1 - It has not been reset for ages, unless you are able to play the game 24/7 you have very little chance to get to the top 100. 2 - Found Match and other bugs, just annoying that CA will not fix them, 3 - Poor design. The system they use is not great, it promotes draw kitting, if it was more like the FFA system there would be no point to draw kite as if you are behind in points you would lose by default. Also even if you lose and do well you could get good points. Ranking would be bassed on average points over a number of games.
    Even a basic reset would give me least some incentive to play QB.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file