Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

40k total war would def be nasty good (regardless of what others have been saying)

2»

Comments

• GettoGeckoGettoGecko Posts: 712Registered Users
    @DarkLordOfDarkness Why should anyone want to klll you, heretics always find their place. May Nurgle bless you.
  • TaitleachTaitleach Posts: 71Registered Users
    Even Chaos don't want you
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 14,643Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Well Total War: Warhammer 3 is not out yet, CA had not even finished with the current Trilogy, and Total War Games was never featuring a modern/futuristic setting, and there are reasons for that.

What are those reasons exactly?
    The reason is that many modern/futuristic features are very different from the Total War formula.
    So? I don't see why that'd stop it being made. If being a big step away from what they've traditionally done was a reason then TWW wouldn't have been made in the first place.
    Post edited by Vanilla_Gorilla on
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,659Registered Users, Moderators
    Moving to Total War General Chat.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • AbmongAbmong Posts: 790Registered Users
    @Fear_The_Wolf WH40K would need a bigger map IMO not smaller ones. The greater emphasis on ranged combat elements warrants bigger maps. Look at the map size of NapoleonTW they were huge compared to maps in TWWH. Larger maps opens up more strategies as opposed to the smaller maps that forces head on clashes.

@Crossil If you don't like the idea of WH40K there's nothing to force you to buy it if CA were to make it... You can just wait for a DoW4... And good luck with that one.
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Posts: 2,749Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    Just the variety would sell alone.

Could you imagine tyranids vs necrons!

I could bring chaos to an all new scale :smile:

Weirdest thing to me is that I am an all chaos fan, but the second I played dawn of war 1 I couldn't put down the Imperial guard for the life of me :lol:

I just loved the way they worked and were implemented. I don't know what it is, but they ended up my most played or favorite in dawn of war 40k. I really thought it'd be chaos though :disappointed:
    I had major problems trying to use chaos in it. (competitively) (chaos was my second most)

They've done a trilogy with fantasy, who's to say they don't try a trilogy with 40k?
    Hell, dawn of war 1 had 3 entire expansions with 40k and I loved each one of em.
    And not only were they financial successes, but they also had the campaign of soulstorm and dark crusade built similar to a total war.
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 3,509Registered Users
    Abmong said:

@Crossil If you don't like the idea of WH40K there's nothing to force you to buy it if CA were to make it... You can just wait for a DoW4... And good luck with that one.

I guess that's the mentality they had for DoW 3 as well. Ended up with less players than both DoW 1 and 2.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
    edited December 2018
    Crossil said:

I guess that's the mentality they had for DoW 3 as well. Ended up with less players than both DoW 1 and 2.

Not the same at all. For one, if CA made a TW40K it probably wouldn't be a MOBA mess like DoW3 which practically no one was asking for. The TW battle map engine already has almost everything needed to do what DoW 1&2 did and more.
    • Want directional hard cover? TW already has organic physics LoS mechanics and terrain/buidlings that can block projectiles
    • Want directional soft cover? TW already has forest terrain that can easily be trasnfered to urban rubble
    • Want destructable buildings? TW already has destructable walls/gates that can be translated destructable buidings
    • Want garrisoning/entering buildings and vehicles? TW has garrisoning ramparts and siege towers that can be converted to garrisoning buildings and entering transport vehicles.
    • Want air units? TW already has air units.
    • Want air support? TW already has spells/abilities mechanics to call off map support like drop pods/orbital bombardments
    • Want battle map capture points? TW already has that as seen in Shogun 2.
    The only thing TW can't do (and shouldn't do) is to build new units during battle (If you don't count raising zombies), because that's not TW, and not being able to build units during battle is not lore breaking in any way. DoW even tried to copy it with the

As for the campaign map. TW's risk style map is already far more complex than what they tried to implement in DoW 1&2

Wargear and Banners? TW also already has a mechanic for that too.,, In fact I can't think of anything that DoW 1&2 did that a TW engine should do but can't.
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#
    Space Marine numbers are stupid. 1,000 per chapter with 1,000 chapters means exactly very few Space Marines spread over 1 Million planets. Especially when that isn't reflected in the TT where you can field a whole bunch of the guys.

It could be done within TWW limitations though, you'd probably need to limit their numbers, but that's not much of an issue.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,279Registered Users

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Well Total War: Warhammer 3 is not out yet, CA had not even finished with the current Trilogy, and Total War Games was never featuring a modern/futuristic setting, and there are reasons for that.

The reason is that many modern/futuristic features are very different from the Total War formula.
    So? I don't see why that'd stop it being made. If being a big step away from what they've traditionally done was a reason then TWW wouldn't have been made in the first place.
    CA was going back to a more traditional Total War games lately, also while Total War: Warhammer was indeed something new, it's still not as far from the formula like Warhammer 40,000.
    Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

CA was going back to a more traditional Total War games lately, also while Total War: Warhammer was indeed something new, it's still not as far from the formula like Warhammer 40,000.
    Are they? The next two big titles are 3 Kingdoms a fantasy/historical game set in China and Total War Warhammer 3. Neither of these are close to previous games.

Formula? What formula? 40K isn't a big step from away Fantasy. If they can make the step from historical to fantasy they can certainly make the step from Fantasy to 40k.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,279Registered Users

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Are they? The next two big titles are 3 Kingdoms a fantasy/historical game set in China and Total War Warhammer 3. Neither of these are close to previous games.

Formula? What formula? 40K isn't a big step from away Fantasy. If they can make the step from historical to fantasy they can certainly make the step from Fantasy to 40k.
    You forget the DLCs for Rome 2 and Thrones of Britannia, and 3 Kingdoms would be fairly traditional.
    Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

You forget the DLCs for Rome 2 and Thrones of Britannia, and 3 Kingdoms would be fairly traditional.
    Rome 2 is a 5 year old game which has DLC's made by a different team. We also don't know anything about 3K's DLC but presumably given the game is fantasy/realistic they'll be fantasy/realistic as well.

You simply can't claim they're going back to traditional when all their major titles for the past few years and next few years are fantasy.

40K at worst represents a small step away from what they've done and continue to do.
    @Vanilla_Gorilla yeah but I doubt it'll be anywhere never a million planets, that'd be too insane for game play let alone CPUs couldn't handle it, Imagine the turn times if you think ME is bad. It will probably be solar systems rather than individual planets. As for TT conversion. I rarely saw people fielding more than 1 company at a time since having more was more expensive points and real money wise.

Having an SM army stack be = 1 company seems a good fit IMO. That's 10 stacks limit for a Chapter/SM faction if you're following the codex. Maybe SM wouldn't even be a faction. Maybe the 1st founding chapter/legion will each be a faction, each with there own successor chapters/subfactions The you can confederate with to increase your pop cap.

@Tayvar I think TW has to try to breakout into modern warfare at some point. They can't just keep rehashing the same historical periods. Most people would get tired of that. There's not many iconic wars in the Ancient and Medieval periods left. The ones left are in the gunpowder era before they have to either go fantasy or move into industrial and modern warfare.
    Abmong said:

@Vanilla_Gorilla yeah but I doubt it'll be anywhere never a million planets, that'd be too insane for game play let alone CPUs couldn't handle it, Imagine the turn times if you think ME is bad. It will probably be solar systems rather than individual planets. As for TT conversion. I rarely saw people fielding more than 1 company at a time since having more was more expensive points and real money wise.

Having an SM army stack be = 1 company seems a good fit IMO. That's 10 stacks limit for a Chapter/SM faction if you're following the codex. Maybe SM wouldn't even be a faction. Maybe the 1st founding chapter/legion will each be a faction, each with there own successor chapters/subfactions The you can confederate with to increase your pop cap.

@Tayvar I think TW has to try to breakout into modern warfare at some point. They can't just keep rehashing the same historical periods. Most people would get tired of that. There's not many iconic wars in the Ancient and Medieval periods left. The ones left are in the gunpowder era before they have to either go fantasy or move into industrial and modern warfare.

Presumably if they did it they could just use a planet which every race happens to want because reasons.

Presumably if they did it they could just use a planet which every race happens to want because reasons.

True, the important lore planets should be in like Holy Terra and Mars. Controlled by uber NPC factions of Adeptus Custodes and Mechanicus respectively.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,729Registered Users
    I think there are a couple of things that a 40k TW need more then the WH fantasy, but I also think that those evolutions are unavoidable, given the fact that it otherwise leaves CA no choice but either go for very obscure stuff, they tried with ToB, or remake the same TW's over and over again.
    At least on the history side of the franchise.

So if CA one day step in the "modern" age with its historical TW's, which I believe they will, they will do most of the innovations necessary for a TW 40k. When 90% of the gameplay features are more or less are there, then last 10% are a easy gap to jump over.

And given that CA seems to have a good cooperation with GW and 40k has many of the hooks fantasy Warhammer had (variety, lore, characters...) and even a bigger fan base.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • CormacSVKCormacSVK Junior Member Posts: 69Registered Users
    Oh yes, plz give me some 40k. I would play that for years.
    There is already muskets and gyrobombers, I dont see why we cannot have stormbirds and bolters around.

Afterall, people said its impossible to make total war warhammer and here we are today.

I say yes to 40k and make it massive abd amazing.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,182Registered Users
    edited December 2018
    The main problem I've always seen for 40k is province management, pretty much none of that for all the factions. Most would fit as modified hordes.

Oh, has the WH games been able to do mixed weapon armed units?
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Posts: 307Registered Users
    Commisar said:

The main problem I've always seen for 40k is province management, pretty much none of that for all the factions. Most would fit as modified hordes.

Oh, has the WH games been able to do mixed weapon armed units?

Well, in empire we had banners, musicians and captains, so different models in 1 squad are possible.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon/Deamon slayer, Zeppelin, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin-Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond drong's slayer pirates, Everguard.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,182Registered Users

Well, in empire we had banners, musicians and captains, so different models in 1 squad are possible.

Problem is Ca has said mixed units aren't possible previously over requests for barbarian units in Rome 2. Request was for units with swords and axes I think, could have also had spears.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,729Registered Users
    Commisar said:

Problem is Ca has said mixed units aren't possible previously over requests for barbarian units in Rome 2. Request was for units with swords and axes I think, could have also had spears.
    Option 1:

don mix untis but have concentrate 1 weapon only units. Not quite TT accurate but DoW also got away with ignoring the TT in many places.

Option 2: change the engine/make a new engine

only because the engine doesn't can do something now doesn't mean that will be forever be the case. And given that warscape is quite old you could make the argument that a new engine wouldn't be the worse idea.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,067Registered Users
    40K would require an entirely new engine to replicate the squad and cover based warfare of its setting. Don't expect anything until 2022 at the earliest.