Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

"Drivers may be out of date" --except they're up to date, but I'm getting severe campaign screen lag

hawke40hawke40 Posts: 10Registered Users
Hi!

So, I installed Rise of the Republic a while back (2ish months ago) and everything worked fine. Then, I guess y'all released an update or something because my when I opened Rome 2 in about mid/early-September, I got the message "Your drivers may be out of date". I ensured that my drivers were totally up to date, but I'm still getting the message.

I'm also experience stuttering in the campaign... world map menu (The one that shows all of the geography and cities and stuff) even when my graphics are turned down to the lowest.

Currently using: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (driver version 416.64) and I believe it is completely up to date.

Not sure what to do here--everything was working perfectly until shortly after Rise of the Republic released.

Comments

• hawke40hawke40 Posts: 10Registered Users
    Also, the issue persists even after I disabled my mods.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,872Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2018
    The message will be seen if the drivers are more than two months old, regardless of whether or not there is anything more recent.
    According to the Nvidia site the latest driver for a GTX860M is 417.35 https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/141253/en-uk
    Also sometimes it's not enough to disable mods, they may need completely removing from your machine, including any changes they may have made to the Appdata folder.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    Hi.

Just installed the latest version and relaunched the game; I'm still getting the same error message. Any more advice? (I've also removed all of my mods).
    Yeah, I just optimized my game via GeForce Experience now and ran the benchmark---I'm getting ~30 FPS and SEVERE stuttering. Not sure what else to do here. Exact specs:

GeForce GTX 860M (version 417.35)
    Intel (R) Core (TM)i7-4700HQ CPU @2.40GHz
    7.92 GB RAM
    1920 x1080, 60Hz
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,872Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Try disabling Geforce Experience before you start the game. GE can sometimes "optimise" your settings in a way that has the reverse effect.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    Hi,

Unfortunately, that didn't help.

I'd like to add that in the ~4 years I've owned the game, this issue has never popped up before and I'm not having any issues w/ any other games. Kind of at a loss here...
  • CasusAmorCasusAmor Posts: 8Registered Users
    I've also had sudden campaign map stutter that rendered my playthroughs unplayable starting from early november or so. Everything worked fine before even with outdated drivers, what not, unmodded, and I even tried a complete re-installation of not just the game, but the entire OS, but to no avail. Driver updates also did little to solve these issues.

And I have a very recent rig, an i7-8700k, rtx 2080, and 16gb memory, windows 10 64..
  • dstockydaledstockydale Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have the same issue with campaign stuttering. I think it started more recently for me (last few weeks).

This may seem irrelevant, but could the installation of other Total War games on the same system cause issues?

I may be imagining things, but I seem to encounter issues with installed Total War games when I install a new one - particularly issues with Shadows.