Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ideas for Saga

tomasmlcmtomasmlcm Posts: 4Registered Users
I've been playing ToB and I actually like the idea of a more focused map and smaller factions with a more detailed and focused historic event. So I decided to write some ideas for future Sagas ;)

MEDIEVAL SETTING:
-Reconquista - In 1065; Detailed map of the peninsula; Devided taifa kingdoms seeking help of the Almoravids; Three brothers with three kingdoms: Galicia, Castela and Leon also fighting betwen them after their father Ferdinand the Great died and devided the kingdom of Leon in 3. (personal favourite ;) )

ANCIENT SETTING:(honestly i think this time period needs a break for some games, but:)
-Alexander the Great - The war in India? I don't know much of this war honestly but it seems to be the only one to run away from what's alredy been done.

GUNPOWDER 1670's/1680's:
-Great Turkish War - Detailed map in Eastern Europe; 1680's; Ottomans vs Western European Aliance + Russia and various Rebels; Map would be a mess with tricky diplomacy which could be fun :D

Comments

• CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 11,701Registered Users, Moderators
    edited January 6
    Fun fact, they already did an Alexander the Great expansion for the first Rome Total War.

I think that we should focus on the more recent titles, so an Alexander part 2 would be fine. Personally, though, I'd say that doing something with Shogun 2's engine for the invasion of Korea would be very interesting. Might actually get me to play Shogun 2.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,555Registered Users
    We also need to think from a commercial point of view:
    - if it's based in Eastern Asia, it will have some redundancy with 3K, and may be in competition with 3K itself
    - if it's based in an Ancient setting, there may be some redundancy with Rome 2 and Attila

If we think like this, then I'd say the most likely from a business standpoint is either a Medieval setting or a later gunpowder era (since both were heavily requested by players).

I think the reason Attila was not that successful was because it shared too much with Rome 2, and ToB shared too much with Attila (Rome 2 and Attila both had Rome as center point, and Attila/ToB both shared Vikings).

They may want to avoid a similar situation with the next Saga. Personally, I hope for a new Medieval-themed game based on either Eastern Europe or one of the Crusades.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,139Registered Users
    Fossoway said:

- if it's based in Eastern Asia, it will have some redundancy with 3K, and may be in competition with 3K itself
    - if it's based in an Ancient setting, there may be some redundancy with Rome 2 and Attila

If we think like this, then I'd say the most likely from a business standpoint is either a Medieval setting or a later gunpowder era (since both were heavily requested by players).

I think the reason Attila was not that successful was because it shared too much with Rome 2, and ToB shared too much with Attila (Rome 2 and Attila both had Rome as center point, and Attila/ToB both shared Vikings).

They may want to avoid a similar situation with the next Saga. Personally, I hope for a new Medieval-themed game based on either Eastern Europe or one of the Crusades.

Well their original statement was that the SAGAs are based off a previous game and it's systems. If they are sticking with that then you're looking at Napoleon for a Gunpowder game or Medieval 2 for another medieval game...which seems a bit off.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Posts: 118Registered Users
    Yeah, the last suggestion is impossible. Sagas are small games with limited budget and mostly based on already published resources. Reconquista and Alex are more realistic, but not very likely. I am leaning towards Crusades or late Medieval Italy.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,555Registered Users
    Commisar said:

Fossoway said:

Well their original statement was that the SAGAs are based off a previous game and it's systems. If they are sticking with that then you're looking at Napoleon for a Gunpowder game or Medieval 2 for another medieval game...which seems a bit off.
    Not really. The Attila engine could be used once more for a medieval setting (there is actually a pretty looking medieval mod for Attila being made right now). It could also be used for an early gunpowder era, when it was still mixed in with regular infantry and archers/crossbows.
  • tomasmlcmtomasmlcm Posts: 4Registered Users
    I agree that an ancient saga is probably not going to be done now.
    I think there's alot of material in the medieval period in terms of local wars in Europe and Middle East so it's impossible to guess.
    Fossoway said:

Not really. The Attila engine could be used once more for a medieval setting (there is actually a pretty looking medieval mod for Attila being made right now). It could also be used for an early gunpowder era, when it was still mixed in with regular infantry and archers/crossbows.

The engine is just upgraded since Empire, it's the same basic system. It's more in depth than that with more of the world setting already made in a current engine. They'd have to rebuild most of it from the ground up for these games.

From the FaQ:
    Sagas won’t introduce brand-new eras; they’ll follow-on from previous Total War games and inhabit the same time-period, or at the very least relate to it.

Neither gunpowder or medieval inhabit or really relate to any of the recent game periods in 9 years now (Yesh, really 9 years since Napoleon?! :o )
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 2,373Registered Users
    Sagas won’t introduce brand-new eras; they’ll follow-on from previous Total War games and inhabit the same time-period, or at the very least relate to it.

I wouldn't take that FAQ too seriously, it also stated that the game length would be equal to previous games, I don't think that's true for ToB.

I believe it could go anyway, they're not going to limit themselves if they come up with a better idea. They said their next idea will be a complete surprise, so I'm looking forward to it.
    It seems to fit the design philosophy of the Saga system, if you cover new ages it's not longer the smaller and cheaper game.

Yeah but they say lots of things, everyone remembers the wild claims for R2. It's not just limiting themselves for ideas but on their resources. Although shocked they are continuing with Sagas after the tepid reception it seems to have gotten overall.
    Commisar said:

It seems to fit the design philosophy of the Saga system, if you cover new ages it's not longer the smaller and cheaper game.

Yeah but they say lots of things, everyone remembers the wild claims for R2. It's not just limiting themselves for ideas but on their resources. Although shocked they are continuing with Sagas after the tepid reception it seems to have gotten overall.

Which means to me, ToB sold well despite the complaints, there's no reason to do it otherwise. As they mentioned in the FAQ, Fall of the Samurai was similar and probably used old models despite being in a totally unique era.

Which means to me, ToB sold well despite the complaints, there's no reason to do it otherwise. As they mentioned in the FAQ, Fall of the Samurai was similar and probably used old models despite being in a totally unique era.

Hard to say if it did or not, but would make investing even more money a bad gamble.

Problem there is that as you say they didn't really change much. Only needed a few new ships and a single artillery unit. Rest was tweaking the existing gunpowder weapons and reusing old assets. Not the same for the Medieval or a gun powder period.
    Commisar said:

Hard to say if it did or not, but would make investing even more money a bad gamble.

Problem there is that as you say they didn't really change much. Only needed a few new ships and a single artillery unit. Rest was tweaking the existing gunpowder weapons and reusing old assets. Not the same for the Medieval or a gun powder period.
    Well, they're a business, if ToB didn't sell they wouldn't reuse the model. My guess is despite a lot of grief on Steam, there's been a silent majority who have bought and enjoyed it.

Fall of the Samurai was based in a totally unique time period and had a great deal of unique looking troops both land and navy.
  • PeliasPelias Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited January 13
    Hi,

I think the briliant idea for Saga title is Tecumseh's War https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecumseh's_War. Interesting setting , damn fascinating story and important personalities like US. army leader William Henry Harrison future american president who beat indians in big battle of Tippencanoe. And of course famous indian chief Tecumseh who want to unite native tribes. British forces support indians but US. is very powerful. We could have possibility to see famous battles like Thames and Tippencanoe. The game would be very exciting and all sides (British, Indians, Americans) have interesting elements. Campaign in this game would be dynamic so i think there is a big plus. It would be brilliant to defeat the Americans and create Indian state! Best wishes and encourage you to relate to my idea! :)

Well, they're a business, if ToB didn't sell they wouldn't reuse the model. My guess is despite a lot of grief on Steam, there's been a silent majority who have bought and enjoyed it.

Fall of the Samurai was based in a totally unique time period and had a great deal of unique looking troops both land and navy.

I dunno, they've done weird things in the past. Alien Isolation apparently sold well and was really well received yet they've now done a mobile game rather than a sequel. Although also worth noting they are still patching ToB but it's not even listed on the 100 most played games...that doesn't scream popular and worth investing more cash in to.

Not that many and not many that were fully new. Huge amounts of it was just easy products to make or tweaks of the old ones. There's more unique elements added as DLC factions in Rome 2 than FotS.
    Commisar said:

I dunno, they've done weird things in the past. Alien Isolation apparently sold well and was really well received yet they've now done a mobile game rather than a sequel. Although also worth noting they are still patching ToB but it's not even listed on the 100 most played games...that doesn't scream popular and worth investing more cash in to.

Not that many and not many that were fully new. Huge amounts of it was just easy products to make or tweaks of the old ones. There's more unique elements added as DLC factions in Rome 2 than FotS.
    It did and they may return to it but why would they if they're making enough from TW? They may have lost key workers who had the correct skills for that type of game. ToB sold between 100,000 to 200,000 over digital dl which considering its price they probably got good returns on it. I don't think they expected it to sell well, or as well as a AAA title.

The fleet of ships were new with extras like Torpedoes and there were plenty of unique looking line infantry, when I hear people say 'reskin it was easy', I have to wonder about their knowledge.

It did and they may return to it but why would they if they're making enough from TW? They may have lost key workers who had the correct skills for that type of game. ToB sold between 100,000 to 200,000 over digital dl which considering its price they probably got good returns on it. I don't think they expected it to sell well, or as well as a AAA title.

The fleet of ships were new with extras like Torpedoes and there were plenty of unique looking line infantry, when I hear people say 'reskin it was easy', I have to wonder about their knowledge.

Still sold well and they had the staff at the time. Also it's now spawned a mobile spinoff... XD

Skins are the easiest element to make, it's the animations which very little had to be made for. Again there's more new unit skins in DLC packs for the more recent. I do love the naval gameplay of FotS and really would love to see it brought to a full global game though.

I am looking forward to what this new game will be, but really don't want to risk getting hopes for such a shock.
    Commisar said:

Still sold well and they had the staff at the time. Also it's now spawned a mobile spinoff... XD

Skins are the easiest element to make, it's the animations which very little had to be made for. Again there's more new unit skins in DLC packs for the more recent. I do love the naval gameplay of FotS and really would love to see it brought to a full global game though.

I am looking forward to what this new game will be, but really don't want to risk getting hopes for such a shock.
    Yes they did say it would be a surprise, I'm just hoping it's a nice surprise!