Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Vindictive glare far too cost effective?

12345679»

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,218Registered Users

It's beyond me how some people are defending this spell. It was dubiously effective before the patch. The patch made it completely broken. It costs only 4 mana, it costs only 70 gold, it has 250 m range, it rarely ever misses and it can 1-shot a mage. 1 hit, literally, is enough to break many unarmored heroes. There is almost no reason ever not take this spell. A shaman with just this spell and mushrooms costs less than 400 gold and he has stalk, so you can't even prepare well for it (if it weren't for the fact the spell is so broken everyone takes it these days).

You can get 2 casters for less than 800 gold. If you have 28 mana, you can then do a quadruple cast including 3 overcasts... the first 3 are already enough to take out Alarielle on an eagle nearly 100% of the time.

As for the "it's weak against armor" defense, it's not. Overcast it still deals ~900 damage to a stardragon for 8 mana. That's more than a spirit leech with over twice the range.

Suggested fix: undo the last patch to give people at least some chance of dodging it and make the overcast version make it 100% AP without increasing total damage. Greenskins struggle with armored monsters, so this change will make the spell retain its use for this purpose without being able to 1-shot enemy mages.

So you want to bring back the endless dodging and weaving abuse people could pull on the GS before? I find that more obnoxious.
  • Green0Green0 Posts: 5,246Registered Users
    I had it deal around 20% HP on a 125 armor Tyrion (I think it was overcast). While he survived, we’re talking about investing 8 mana to remove 20% HP from a 2500g lord.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    Green0 said:

I had it deal around 20% HP on a 125 armor Tyrion (I think it was overcast). While he survived, we’re talking about investing 8 mana to remove 20% HP from a 2500g lord.

Not to argue about vindictive glare but... given his healing abilities spending 64 mana and 8 shots to kill a 2500 point lord feels downright reasonable to me.
    eumaies said:

Green0 said:

Not to argue about vindictive glare but... given his healing abilities spending 64 mana and 8 shots to kill a 2500 point lord feels downright reasonable to me.
    no that's actually such a biased way to see it. Let's say I bring apotheosis, I also need to invest mana to keep Tyrion alive. So we trade mana but he also gets to kill my lord not to mention that at that point the HE army buckles under the GS infantry.
  • ViktorTWWforumViktorTWWforum Posts: 1,083Registered Users
    Green0 said:

eumaies said:

Green0 said:

no that's actually such a biased way to see it. Let's say I bring apotheosis, I also need to invest mana to keep Tyrion alive. So we trade mana but he also gets to kill my lord not to mention that at that point the HE army buckles under the GS infantry.
    Hearth of Avelorn, no ?
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 4,486Registered Users

Green0 said:

eumaies said:

Green0 said:

Hearth of Avelorn, no ?
    Exactly. Tyrion’s cost includes all the healing he needs.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 7,892Registered Users
    5 shoting tyrion is not even bad at all, its 1 shooting teclis or allariel thats the issue with no counter play possible.

Basically 1 shoting any mage.

Green0 said:

eumaies said:

Green0 said:

Hearth of Avelorn, no ?
    my point is that even vs a non-ideal target (125 armor), it is decent and not a waste of mana. Tyrion has Heart of Avelorn sure, what about other lords? E.g. Archaon, WE mages, Norscan ones...