Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Three kingdoms.. what do you all think?

KadilavunyeKadilavunye Posts: 1Registered Users
edited January 8 in General Discussion
Hello everyone,,,
Honestly, I’m not a fan (or interested) in what amounts to a civil war in China a couple thousand years ago.

I’m sure many people not from the US would be bored to death with an American Civil War game.

Also, I have 0 knowledge of the time period. Very knowledgable about Western history, not much in terms of East Asian. Also, for me super powered generals are not my kind of thing (yes, I’m aware there are two modes)

This is primarily geared to the Asian market and Asian diaspora in the West. I’ll wait for the next title in 2022
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 918Registered Users
    edited January 7
    I'm Irish and living in Ireland, haven't read Romance of the Three Kingdoms, know practically nothing about the time period or the wider history of China itself, have never set foot in East Asia, and I'm excited for the game... because I like Total War games.

I'd also very much enjoy a Total War game set in the American Civil War (but preferably as an add-on to a wider "Victorian Era" Total War game though).

I mean, if you're not interested in the game and have no intention of buying it, then I'm not really sure what response you're looking for here. To each their own, I guess? Happy trails lad, see you in 2022. 🤷‍♂️
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 508Registered Users
    I don't know a ton about the period, or the history. However, I figure it is a good chance to broaden my horizons. Beyond that there are a number of gameplay features I think look interesting. Diplomacy and recruitment changes...etc.
  • ThedossbossThedossboss Posts: 102Registered Users
    I play for the TW experience. Each game gives a somewhat new feel and experience, which is why I don't understand all of those warhammer fans who think that visual unit diversity is everything and that any other TW game is lackluster about them.

3K has a bunch of potentially good features coming with it, so I'll definitely give it a go. I care as much about the setting as I do for any other total war game
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,538Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited January 7
    I live in the central US, and I've wanted a game centered on China for over 15 years. I've probably suggested it, here and there, ten or twelve times over the years.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 667Registered Users
    I’m dutch and although not a fan of the period Total war always had my interest since the first shogun title. There simply isn’t a lot of competition. Massive armies and a grand campaign.

With regard to 3k I sure like what they’ve shown so far with regard to diplomacy. Hope the ai can handle itself while this never had been a strong point of the series. Latest wh titles did show a lot of improvement on ai behavior with regard to priorities. Hope 3k is a further improvement. Looking forward to some play throughs. Overall very excited!
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    I've been a fan of the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese history since childhood.. and I'm a Mongolian (we kinda had a bad past with the Chinese) living in England. This is not just a civil war... if compared to the USA, it would be like if Every Single US state declared independence and then warlords arose in each state, attempting to unify the nation.

Total War Three Kingdoms is Shogun 2 on a maaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvveeeeeeeee scale... China is Incredibly huge, diverse and beautiful... comparing TW Three Kingdoms to the US Civil War is a disservice and an insult to them... these people fought for many decades in absolutely HUGE battles that would have made any other Western nation pee it's pants....

TW Three Kingdoms... might as well be compared to WW1-2 Europe... because THAT is the true scale...
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 618Registered Users
    I'm from the US and a Three Kingdoms period game has been in my top 3 most wanted Total War titles for a decade now. It's one of the most interesting time periods in military history. This idea that you can only be interested in local / national history is nonsense, and is just closing yourself off from most of the world's history.

Speaking of the markets, it has a much wider market in the West than just the Asian diaspora. Here in the US, the Three Kingdoms period is easily the most popular period of Chinese history and it already has a pretty large amount of cultural recognition within the video game audience, thanks to Koei's games.
  • united84united84 Posts: 271Registered Users
    It is amazing that the middle kingdom was left out of the equation this long considering it has a rich history and epic battles which Total War franchise is all about (historical) and not to mention that western settings has been remake so many times to the point that some titles did not receive the same reception as the older games (you know which title I am talking about).

I hope CA is serious about developing Three Kingdoms and not just a filler flagship.
  • Traum77Traum77 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Yeah I'm Canadian (and not of Asian descent at all) and couldn't be more excited for this game. It's an amazing period of history, and I'm looking forward to the improved diplomacy, character focus (if they nail it, a la Crusader Kings 2, I can only imagine what they could do with a Medieval 3), cool unit types (finally archer/melee hybrids), and flavour of the time period.

For sure it's not going to be for everyone, but I honestly wasn't interested in half the time periods Total War has covered until I played the games (especially Medieval 1 and the first ToB-esque add-on). I'd say try it out (especially if the reviews are good), and you might find something you'll actually enjoy and get into.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 795Registered Users
    edited January 8
    I am not Chinese, but I am very excited for this game because it is a perfect setting for a character based Total War game.

Total War : US Civil War, on the other hand, is a game I have no interest in, due to utter lack of unit, tactical or faction variety. There were not many brilliant generals, dramatic events, or great tactical / strategic feats that are worth reliving. It will get very old very fast. It was a relatively small scale war - consider that War of the Three Kingdoms had 36,000,000 casualties compared to less than a million for the US Civil War. Total War games are rarely set in such small scale wars. It is not really compatible with the traditional Total War gameplay of conquest or development. Even the small setting of Shogun actually covered the entire Sengoku period with multiple conflicts. Not to mention, because such a game is relatively easy to make, there are literally dozens of strategy games set during the Civil War. Don't really need another.
    Post edited by mitthrawnuruodo on
  • Dune2kDune2k Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    I am not Chinese, I am familiar with the story and I like it very much, and I wanted a three kingdom total war game for almost a decade now thanks to Koei's games. before those games i enjoyed grand strategy games such as Rome 1, then one day i found a mod for Rome 1 barbarian invasion based on three kingdoms characters and setting. while playing that mod I felt much more excitement and joy because of the characters background and stories and Legendary generals such as Zhang Fei. it was like the game got a whole new dimension through closeness and rivalry and extra characteristics any general had and it was like they where no longer just some bits and bytes, they became more human.
    it is a character based Total War game and because of that it is going to be the greatest.
  • MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 1,840Registered Users
    edited January 8
    I am from SEA and familiar with Romance of the Three Kingdoms since grade school due to it is in course syllabus. I can remembered Lui Bei, Cao Cao or Lu Bu name faster than the president name. That why I most enjoy when CA announce this title than even Empire 2 or Medieval 3. It might be some kind of Nostalgia, same as western players want to see Europe/America in the game.

I want those men to open minded with other continent history too. Not babbling with something boring such as "Europe is more interesting" or "America is the best". I don't want to see infinite loop of "Medieval" "Rome" "Empire" sequel.

Post edited by MrMecH on
    SHUT UP AND REWORK BEASTMEN CAMPAIGN & SKILL (AND THEN GIVE US GHORGON)

• mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 795Registered Users
    edited January 8
    IMO, someone unfamiliar with the setting should welcome the chance to try something new.

12 or so years ago, I did not know anything about Three Kingdoms. I was looking for historical strategy games on reviewer websites, and found one called Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI with lot of refreshing features such as strategic chain of command and gameplay focused around a massive cast of characters. I tried the game although I was unfamiliar with the setting and discovered fascinating characters like Zhou Yu, Cao Cao, Guan Yu, Lu Bu etc, and started researching those characters outside of the game. Read the books, watched the movies and TV shows. Eventually that interest expanded to other eras of Chinese history such as Qin Shi Huang or Chu-Han Contention. Ended up travelling to China and climbing along the Great Wall. My life, and my library, are richer for it.

I find it difficult to fathom why one's love for history should be limited to which half of the globe one is from. Open your mind OP. All history is fascinating. You have to try to know it first, before you love it.
  • AryndelinAryndelin Junior Member Posts: 839Registered Users
    edited January 8
    Norwegian here.

I grew up without internett until i got 16, and where i lived i was fed european and american culture\history.
    When internett (and dynasty warriors 2) came i very much welcomed the change.

I was pretty much skeptical to asian culture\history to begin with, but only because it was alien to me at the time.
    Now though i'm very happy i gave it a chance as asia has given me very good memories and experiences.

Back after i read the romance novel i always wondered "why hasn't this been used for a total war game?"
    It and samurai warriors also made me wonder why total war did not include the many famous generals that lived.

Finally we're getting Three Kingdoms: Total War, and i'm excited. It's set in an interesting Era, it finally brings actual historical generals (rather than the usual random bob and joe) and looks to finally bring a different playstyle than "conquer it all!".

I'm very excited about this game, and will definitely play it a lot when it comes out. Hopefully it will not dissapoint ;)

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,093Registered Users
    Love the period and setting, just not sure how CA is handling it. A lot of what I've seen feels more Dynasty Warriors inspired rather than the Historic setting.
  • the_real_weedthe_real_weed Member Posts: 221Registered Users
    Commisar said:

Love the period and setting, just not sure how CA is handling it. A lot of what I've seen feels more Dynasty Warriors inspired rather than the Historic setting.

Nobody knows it because CA decided to show us just some pictures from characters rather than ingame gameplay. Worst advertising ever.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 542Registered Users
    Understandable, have a great day.
  • JudeTakerathJudeTakerath Posts: 112Registered Users
    I'm English and I am delighted they are doing a 3k game. I got into the era via Dynasty Warriors, read the novel then got into the histories. I don't think doing a game outside the west is a bad idea in terms of trying to offer variety for audience (and the game makers) and 3kingdoms has a market they will be hoping to sell to.

Of course, the era (or the execution of it) won't be everyone and hope whatever they choose next will please you more.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,261Registered Users
    Since we seem to be throwing nationalities out here I'll say I'm Italian American and I couldn't be more excited for 3K. Honestly I don't think there is a historical setting I wouldn't be interested by, I love all history.
  • acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Posts: 298Registered Users
    edited January 9
    I'm glad we no longer have to be playing in European settings.

Def would like to go South-East Asia, Persian Empire, Korea, and def more periods in Asia now.

Also India would be great.

Also: A lot of Asians, I mean Koreans, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Tawienese have been playing total war games which feature heavier European settings. Isn't it time they got a game set in a different continent apart from Europe? I mean Indians will have to wait until their total war comes out! 3k is an awesome period.

Commisar said:

Nobody knows it because CA decided to show us just some pictures from characters rather than ingame gameplay. Worst advertising ever.
    Agreed!
    MrMecH said:

I am from SEA and familiar with Romance of the Three Kingdoms since grade school due to it is in course syllabus. I can remembered Lui Bei, Cao Cao or Lu Bu name faster than the president name. That why I most enjoy when CA announce this title than even Empire 2 or Medieval 3. It might be some kind of Nostalgia, same as western players want to see Europe/America in the game.

I want those men to open minded with other continent history too. Not babbling with something boring such as "Europe is more interesting" or "America is the best". I don't want to see infinite loop of "Medieval" "Rome" "Empire" sequel.

Exactly! A lot of Asians are glad that there's finally a game not in Europe but in China.
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 476Registered Users

Hello everyone,,,Honestly, I’m not a fan (or interested) in what amounts to a civil war in China a couple thousand years ago. I’m sure many people not from the US would be bored to death with an American Civil War game.Also, I have 0 knowledge of the time period. Very knowledgable about Western history, not much in terms of East Asian. Also, for me super powered generals are not my kind of thing (yes, I’m aware there are two modes) This is primarily geared to the Asian market and Asian diaspora in the West. I’ll wait for the next title in 2022

Was Shogun 1 and Shogun 2 Total War games geared for Japanese people (Japanese civil war)?
    Was Napoleon TW geared for Europeans (basically a European civil)?
    Was Rome Total War just for Italians and Mediterreanean people?
    Was Thrones of Britannia just for British people?

I'm pretty sure most people who bought these games didn't know much about these time periods.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 16,538Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Just a "Heads up" comment. Let's keep any cultural commentary out of the discussion. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Posts: 505Registered Users
    edited January 11

Hello everyone,,,
    Honestly, I’m not a fan (or interested) in what amounts to a civil war in China a couple thousand years ago.

I’m sure many people not from the US would be bored to death with an American Civil War game.

Also, I have 0 knowledge of the time period. Very knowledgable about Western history, not much in terms of East Asian. Also, for me super powered generals are not my kind of thing (yes, I’m aware there are two modes)

This is primarily geared to the Asian market and Asian diaspora in the West. I’ll wait for the next title in 2022

I never once went on the Warhammer forum to discuss how I don't like none historical titles. What is the logic when people complain on this forum about 3k specifically? I personally don't care that people who are not interested in 3K don't play it. Stay out of the 3k forum if you are not interested. FFS!
    Looking forward to Three Kingdoms big time. Warhammer was never my thing.
    Shogun II Avatar Campaign is the most fun I have had with Total War games!
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
  • Sir_SeabiznessSir_Seabizness Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited January 11
    Human being here and I'm excited mostly because it's finally a new part of the planet mostly. Been fairly interested in a China based since probably Rome.

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 34,430Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Some off-topic comments removed. Please remember this thread is about Three Kingsdoms, not what comes next.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png