Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The House of Ma and Xiliang

Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,600Registered Users
edited January 8 in General Discussion
I was very happy to see a Total War Three Kingdoms... I've been waiting many years for a Creative Assembly version of the Three Kingdoms.

It also peaked my interest when I thought the the Xianbei and Wuhuan (ancestors of what later becomes Mongolia) might make an appearance within the game but... after going over the Three Kingdoms podcast and tv series... I'm really quite happy that CA decided to include Ma Teng and Han Sui, the 2 heroic warlords of Xiliang (at least, according to the novel and my imagination) as playable warlords at the start of the game.

I can imagine we're in for a lot of DLC, which I am also very happy about... I was upset at the idea that we're not likely to see Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu at the start, but that's not so bad anymore, now that I've thought about it. I'm a big fan of Lu Bu, but I always understood that Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo (along with Li Jue and Guo Si) were from Xiliang or at least commanders for it's armies.

Further research into Xiliang tells me that the Qiang (Tibetan) and Xianbei (Turko-Mongol) mixed a little in that province and even Ma Teng married into the Qiang (or was it Han Sui, I forget already). So, if CA gets it right... Xiliang (Ma Teng and Han Sui's faction) should have access to Xiliang cavalry and be a heavily cavalry based faction (I guess shogun 2 players could associate the Takeda clan to these guys).

Based on this poster... we see that Ma Teng's faction gets a lot of foraging and supply bonuses... but there is no mention of any special units. I don't know if certain units will be Area based or Faction based... but I feel that the Xiliang Warriors should be an Area based "resource" like unit for all non-Xiliang originating factions (like anyone who is not Dong Zhuo, Ma Teng, Han Sui, Lu Bu, Li Jue or Guo Si) and that the have to occupy Xiliang in order to gain access to those units...

But if it is going to be Faction based (like units in Shogun 2) I really hope they do a great service to each unit... Xiliang cavalry can be a Hybrid of Medium/Light melee cavalry but also mounted archers... whereas Cao Cao's Tiger Knight cavalry are strictly heavy shock cavalry and melee cavalry...

I'd like to see variants, or even if we could choose what to equip our units with.. that'd be amazing... for example, if we were playing Ma Teng... we could recruit Xiliang Cavalry, but we can choose a variant between Light armored, Bow + sword cavalry... or heavy Spear and Sword cavalry (shock) or Glaive/Halberd cavalry (melee cavalry).

"I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin

Comments

• mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,507Registered Users
    edited January 8
    We are quite close to release. CA should really start showing off factions and units now and put questions like this to rest.

I'd like to see variants, or even if we could choose what to equip our units with.. that'd be amazing... for example, if we were playing Ma Teng... we could recruit Xiliang Cavalry, but we can choose a variant between Light armored, Bow + sword cavalry... or heavy Spear and Sword cavalry (shock) or Glaive/Halberd cavalry (melee cavalry).

I have wanted this in Total War for a long time. Organically recruit units from a mixture of regional heritage, faction strengths, available tech and resources for specific traits, bonuses and penalties based on the kind of enemies you are about to fight. Decide between soldiers bringing their own equipment, or spend more money to standardise. That is how historical armies were created.

E.g. as Macedonian conquerors...
    • recruit Ubii horsemen (+ manoeuvrability, + melee attack, "frenzied charge"),
    • give them fast unarmoured Arabian horses that you get via trade (++ speed, + vigour, - optimal weight),
    • train them in the style of the your old Hetairoi (+ charge bonus, "trample", "wedge", + upkeep),
    • equip them with xyston (++ charge bonus, - melee defence) and
    • your newly researched metal reinforced linothorax armour (+ armour, + defence, - speed, + upkeep),
    .... to build a fast slightly wild shock cavalry. Call them "Wild Companions" or whatever you want. Too much work? Let the AI auto-generate units based on your resources by setting a couple of sliders.
    Post edited by mitthrawnuruodo on