Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Meet Xu Huang

CA_EllaCA_Ella Posts: 237Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

A model of integrity, Xu Huang is both a great warrior and an astute general, having defeated numerous legendary generals in his time under Cao Cao. Extremely respectful, Xu Huang never fails to be courteous to friends and enemies alike.

Comments

• tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 841Registered Users
  • MetalWarLordMetalWarLord Posts: 8Registered Users
    The game was announced a year ago ... only 60 days left and we only have seen explaining diplomacy.

Yes it's all nicely done those heros/warlords but come on show us the important stuff. promises made that after Vampire Coast we're gone seen a lot more. but after 2 months we've seen not much!
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 2,366Registered Users
    There's been a number of videos released. I'm glad they're taking their time, I almost felt like I knew everything the Vampire Coast had to offer before it was even released. It will start going into overdrive soon and by the time it's released you'll know everything you need to know.. and a bit extra.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,022Registered Users
    edited January 8
    They can take their time with the game. But there is little reason not to show off some gameplay.

We are in the age of early access and crowd-funding. Developers these days regularly showcase gameplay videos from tech-demo to launch. We are used to the kinks and rough edges in work-in-progress gameplay footage. I would rather see some broken gameplay than nothing at all.

If CA are so withholding, it makes it easy to speculate that the game is still a mess this close to release.

• Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 1,209Registered Users

I would rather see some broken gameplay than nothing at all.

I sure as hell wouldn't. If we saw any gameplay now that was still broken even after a 6 month delay, then people are going to be pretty **** and left thinking it'll be another disaster at launch like Rome 2 or going to be delayed again.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,022Registered Users
    edited January 8

I sure as hell wouldn't. If we saw any gameplay now that was still broken even after a 6 month delay, then people are going to be pretty **** and left thinking it'll be another disaster at launch like Rome 2 or going to be delayed again.
    Won't you rather see it now than 1 week before launch?

People are wondering about unit variety, custom units, agents actions et al. Some people are bound to be disappointed. It is better to rip off those band-aids now than face a review bomb orgy at launch.
    I'm sure the battles are much like previous total war games, no need to show.

It would be nice to see how the upkeep works with several generals, and how they buff their units (do each general buff all, just their own, or whoever is in there radius?)
    It's a game not a poster book so show the game.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited January 8
    I won't be surprised if the game is delayed again, at this point. If they were ready to show something, they would have done so long ago...
  • TetrewTetrew Posts: 68Registered Users
    Fossoway said:

I won't be surprised if the game is delayed again, at this point. If they were ready to show something, they would have done so long ago...

Would make me cancel my pre-order. I am already feeling bad about it. Hah.
    Let´s hope we will need to water our mouth instead of writing long angry rants on this forum.
    They want us to pre-order the game. But how do they expect I pre-order if they show almost nothing. By the time the game comes out we know a lot more I'm sure but how sooner you know stuff how easier it is to decide if you want to buy the game.
    I'm holding with pre-order for now. no serious info no pre-order.
  • ThedossbossThedossboss Posts: 134Registered Users
    Such impatience. Anything CA shows cannot be taken as anything more than hype fluff until the youtubers and reviewers get their hands on the actual game. Before then, the game can be marketted using only newspapers for all we should care

Won't you rather see it now than 1 week before launch?

People are wondering about unit variety, custom units, agents actions et al. Some people are bound to be disappointed. It is better to rip off those band-aids now than face a review bomb orgy at launch.
    Look at it this way; people are already getting a bit worried and skeptical of the game due to the lack of information and any actual gameplay footage. If they released a video showing gameplay that was broken as all hell, people would go bonkers over it, especially considering the game's already been delayed by 6 months. At this late stage of development and with barely 8 weeks from release, the backlash would be so damaging that the game would have no time to recover and be dead on arrival.
    Fossoway said:

I think it's a little too early to start worrying about it being delayed again. But if we don't see some proper gameplay within the next week or so, then I'm going to start worrying.
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 623Registered Users
    edited January 8
    The posters aren't really my thing, but I do appreciate that we're getting looks at more of the unique generals. Nice to let people see that the famous sets o' generals are in.

This. The delay might mean a better game at launch, but it also means that the original development plan ran into problems. It happens. Multiple delays, on the other hand, are usually an indicator of poor management just not being able to plan at all. So another delay at this point would be worrisome. But I don't think that's a real danger, just the usual hyperbolic fears.

As for people wanting to see more content and bringing up Early Access stuff, those are very, very different models. Early Access & crowdfunded games *have* to show early prototype footage to try to bring in more funding, and even then there are all kinds of issues that indies run into with that.

CA doesn't need funding, it needs launch week sales. Showing things too early can deflate sales in lots of different ways, but hasn't actually been shown to help them much, so the general trend in AAA games has been towards shorter marketing periods that have a more intense tail-end so that everyone is hyped for the game as it is coming out. I think 8 weeks is a solid marketing period, so we should see them really ramping things up this week or next. I'd be surprised if they go for a shorter period - I've seen people argue for 2-4 weeks of intense marketing as the "new thing" in this age of shorter attention spans, but it's generally seen as too risky.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    Yeah, this week or the next. It really looks like they are stalling for time. Or maybe they just came back from holiday and are taking some time to whip up a video together.

I too will hold off on pre-order. The fact that the Yellow Turban rebellion DLC showed no in-game footage made me raise an eyebrow, but I did not get reassured since then. Something is definitely not going as planned behind the scenes.
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 1,052Registered Users
    Fossoway said:

Yeah, this week or the next. It really looks like they are stalling for time. Or maybe they just came back from holiday and are taking some time to whip up a video together.

I too will hold off on pre-order. The fact that the Yellow Turban rebellion DLC showed no in-game footage made me raise an eyebrow, but I did not get reassured since then. Something is definitely not going as planned behind the scenes.

Yellow turban DLC is made by the Bulgaria team. The Bulgaria team barely moved on 3 kindoms when the DLC was announced.
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Posts: 555Registered Users
    Fossoway said:

Totally agree with you. Something is wrong.
    Looking forward to Three Kingdoms big time. Warhammer was never my thing.
    Shogun II Avatar Campaign is the most fun I have had with Total War games!
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
    Axelrad said:

...Showing things too early can deflate sales in lots of different ways, but hasn't actually been shown to help them much, so the general trend in AAA games has been towards shorter marketing periods that have a more intense tail-end so that everyone is hyped for the game as it is coming out. I think 8 weeks is a solid marketing period, so we should see them really ramping things up this week or next. I'd be surprised if they go for a shorter period - I've seen people argue for 2-4 weeks of intense marketing as the "new thing" in this age of shorter attention spans, but it's generally seen as too risky.

I didn't know that, that's actually pretty interesting.
    They have to release it so that we can see it. You know, like saying we have to pass it so you can read it.
  • AoishiroAoishiro Posts: 49Registered Users
    Total War: Wei Kingdom
  • SakotadejanSakotadejan Posts: 151Registered Users
    Zhang Liao inc today
  • LegoorLegoor Member Posts: 98Registered Users
    Nice!!!! Cant Wait!!!!
    I also have a profile here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=46147 this is mostly where I do my TW talk ;)
  • SuXiZhengSuXiZheng Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited January 9
    先出游戏,再出将军当DLC卖,钱都不会挣。游戏中国春节前出来,什么都好说。

This is an English language forum. Please post in English or at least provide a translation.

Via Google Translate

First out of the game, then the general will be sold as DLC, the money will not earn. The game comes out before the Chinese New Year, and everything is easy to say.