Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ideas from Paradox

2»

Comments

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,573Registered Users
    I think decent diplomacy is almost useless. It works ok at the beginning to gain a little extra money but the whole point is to gain land, it's painful to see an ally with land that has a gold mine or something very useful.

The game would have to be rebalanced so it makes it a large undertaking to start a single war or attack a larger settlement.
  • NemoxNemox Posts: 2,505Registered Users
    edited January 10
    Ixal said:

Nemox said:

Already mentioned before about how much I dislike Paradox's DLC policy so I agree fully there...

One idea I'd like to see them adopt however would be more consistent communication and blogs. I know that takes time to do, but they have very capable people who the community do respect. They even have an employee really pushing communication with the Modding community so they clearly value it!

As for actual mechanics: Stellaris allows you to set different End Crisis (Including what time they can occur) that helps offer some customization to your campaign. At the very least we do need more end game threats.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You really think CAs DLC politic is better?
    Paying a full game, then paying again to get the last two units for each faction, then paying for a new race on the map and finally the cycle starts again when the same game with a different map is sold full prince instead of it being an expansion if it came from Paradox. Not to mention that Paradox wouldn't require you to own both Warhammer games to play Mortal Empires.
    It is. Look at any Paradox game on steam and you'll see the same issue people have "Great game but absurd amount of DLC". Europa Universalis 4 with all DLC is around £193... You can take a gander what most of that stuff really is. Paradox charge money for some cheaply made portraits...

Never mind how many key mechanics/features get hidden behind DLC's (Looking at you HoI4 and CK2).

In no way am I saying CA are saints on this, but they get crapped on over DLC that we want more of. Paradox need to do less and put more in their base games... Stellaris was devoid of content at launch.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,279Registered Users
    Ixal said:

Nemox said:

Already mentioned before about how much I dislike Paradox's DLC policy so I agree fully there...

One idea I'd like to see them adopt however would be more consistent communication and blogs. I know that takes time to do, but they have very capable people who the community do respect. They even have an employee really pushing communication with the Modding community so they clearly value it!

As for actual mechanics: Stellaris allows you to set different End Crisis (Including what time they can occur) that helps offer some customization to your campaign. At the very least we do need more end game threats.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Paying a full game, then paying again to get the last two units for each faction, then paying for a new race on the map and finally the cycle starts again when the same game with a different map is sold full prince instead of it being an expansion if it came from Paradox. Not to mention that Paradox wouldn't require you to own both Warhammer games to play Mortal Empires.
    Good point, also the way Paradox's DLCs work, it's easier for Paradox to keep "old factions" updated.
  • IxalIxal Posts: 479Registered Users
    edited January 11
    Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

It is. Look at any Paradox game on steam and you'll see the same issue people have "Great game but absurd amount of DLC". Europa Universalis 4 with all DLC is around £193... You can take a gander what most of that stuff really is. Paradox charge money for some cheaply made portraits...

Never mind how many key mechanics/features get hidden behind DLC's (Looking at you HoI4 and CK2).

In no way am I saying CA are saints on this, but they get crapped on over DLC that we want more of. Paradox need to do less and put more in their base games... Stellaris was devoid of content at launch.
    I rather have completely cosmetic DLCs I can ignore than getting sold additional units which of course close holes in rosters.

Also, all DLCs for Warhammer 1 are 70€. Plus another 60€ for the main game when you pay full price on steam. And that game had a lot shorter shelf life than EU4 (EU4 is 5 years old, Warhammer only 2 and is not even supported any more since WH2 came out while there are still new EU4 DLCs. Crusader Kings 2 is even older)

Warhammer 2 is 45€ for the DLCs and 60€ for the main game.

Compared to that EU4s price is not that high, especially when you do not count the cosmetic DLCs.
    Ixal said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I rather have completely cosmetic DLCs I can ignore than getting sold additional units which of course close holes in rosters.
    So you'd rather a company waste time making pointless DLC you don't even want, over stuff you do? Amazing.
    edited January 11
    Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

So you'd rather a company waste time making pointless DLC you don't even want, over stuff you do? Amazing.
    You mean like CA?
    3€ for blood textures?
    And my interest in spending extra money because CA "forgot" 2 units when they sold me the original faction is rather low.
    Ixal said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You mean like CA?
    3€ for blood textures?
    And my interest in spending extra money because CA "forgot" 2 units when they sold me the original faction is rather low.
    You knew from before the game was launched what would feature in the race rosters. People were not angry that DLC would exist - just what CA chose to implement over what. For example High Elves and Archmages.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,160Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Business discussion. Let it go on in hopes if getting something useful about Warhammer. As it is now it it is just short of "over the line" Creative Assembly bashing.

Moved to Off Topic.

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Extra units.. yes in the same way you have to pay to get different factions on Paradox games

Paradox would require you to pay for a ME campaign if it actually existed. You realise to continue Crusader Kingdoms on EUIV, you need to pay for both games and pay £7.99 to buy the game converter.

So no, Paradox is no better.
    kgmi said:

The detailed diplomacy system of Crusader Kings II integrated to TWW might be a dream come true.

Tbh any diplomacy system would be a dream coming true. What TW games have can barely be called "diplomacy", sorry but it is a sad joke if you have played any Paradox title ever.
    "Likelihood of success: moderate" Like wtf does that even mean?! How far am I from the faction accepting my demands? how much money would I need to bribe? Why are there no warleaders when an Alliance chain declares war? etc.

The crown of retardation though, takes Rome 2, you get reputation penalty for making peace too early, like....WHY?!

In TW WH, one of your ally declaring on another one of yours, should ONLY get you reputation penalty with the faction you betray. If you decline both then global rep hit is fine, but getting a dip rep hit no matter what you chose, completely defeats the purpose of alliances.

Though, I'd argue that EU4s diplomacy system would fit a bit better for TW than CK2, you secure alliances and non aggression pacts via marrying your characters to into another house, something you can't do in TW WH.

Empire could also have an HRE like mechanic, like EU4 has. Enforce peace option as Empire on fellow Empire sub factions when they war each other, sounds like something the great Statesman Franz would be capable of.

But to come to WHs defense about late game map painting, it is basically the same in EU4. You reach unstoppable status
    between ~1550-1650, depending on what tag you started as and how efficiently you played.
    Stellaris solved the problem quite well, otherwise only Victoria II and CK2 offer you enough things to do during peace time.
    Vic 2 with empire management (sphere of influence) and global markets
    CK2 with character interaction.
    Though, CK2 veterans tend to Habsburg the whole map in a 1-2 centuries as well.

Yes the 'map painting' part is something that happens in many strategy games, and it's okay.

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Extra units.. yes in the same way you have to pay to get different factions on Paradox games

Paradox would require you to pay for a ME campaign if it actually existed. You realise to continue Crusader Kingdoms on EUIV, you need to pay for both games and pay £7.99 to buy the game converter.

A converter between two different games is not included? Shocking! CA is so much better for selling expansions full price and cutting units to sell separately later.

If Paradox would work as CA you would have to pay extra to even see India and all the other regions added later in CK2.
    Ixal said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

A converter between two different games is not included? Shocking! CA is so much better for selling expansions full price and cutting units to sell separately later.

If Paradox would work as CA you would have to pay extra to even see India and all the other regions added later in CK2.
    Why would they sell them for half price? So you think a converter that merely transports statistics from one game to another should cost £7.99 that's fine, but you have a problem with a free upgrade that allows you to play on a combined map? Ok.

Not really. The DLC is based on factions just like Paradox, you pay to release the use of factions. It's noted that the full DLC list for CK2 costs £200+.

I don't know how you can think Paradox has some great DLC policy that CA could learn lots from.
    Ixal said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Also, all DLCs for Warhammer 1 are 70€. Plus another 60€ for the main game when you pay full price on steam. And that game had a lot shorter shelf life than EU4 (EU4 is 5 years old, Warhammer only 2 and is not even supported any more since WH2 came out while there are still new EU4 DLCs. Crusader Kings 2 is even older)

Compared to that EU4s price is not that high, especially when you do not count the cosmetic DLCs.
    Well the unit models in Warhammer tend to be more costly because of their uniqueness.

Tayvar said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Well the unit models in Warhammer tend to be more costly because of their uniqueness.

They should really do all their faction videos like this.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,537Registered Users
    Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't understand this back in the day, I don't understand it now, both for CA and Paradox. If there are too many DLC for you tastes, just don't buy them! I mean, it's like going to the mall and complaining about the absurd amount of goods on sale. The problem arises only if the DLC are *required* to play the game properly, but this is the case just with a handful of DLC (I would argue Lord Packs for CA and a couple of EU4 expansions).
    Xenos7 said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't understand this back in the day, I don't understand it now, both for CA and Paradox. If there are too many DLC for you tastes, just don't buy them! I mean, it's like going to the mall and complaining about the absurd amount of goods on sale. The problem arises only if the DLC are *required* to play the game properly, but this is the case just with a handful of DLC (I would argue Lord Packs for CA and a couple of EU4 expansions).
    The issue with EU4 is the base game devalues due to expansions like Common Sense making it hard to play the base game. The CA DLC just adds content and in no way devolves the base game.

Xenos7 said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

The issue with EU4 is the base game devalues due to expansions like Common Sense making it hard to play the base game. The CA DLC just adds content and in no way devolves the base game.
    Actually it is the other way around. PDX games are fully playable without any DLC. But if you want to full roster of each faction (including things which fill roles left open by CA with the initial release like HE ranged AP) you have to pay extra.
    Ixal said:

Xenos7 said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Actually it is the other way around. PDX games are fully playable without any DLC. But if you want to full roster of each faction (including things which fill roles left open by CA with the initial release like HE ranged AP) you have to pay extra.
    Not really. If you don't buy Common Sense, Cossacks etc. then the automatic updates make you suffer and seriously limit the game.

I enjoyed playing the HEs with or without the extras and more importantly those who didn't buy the DLC weren't punished by a change in core mechanics.

Ixal said:

Xenos7 said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Not really. If you don't buy Common Sense, Cossacks etc. then the automatic updates make you suffer and seriously limit the game.

I enjoyed playing the HEs with or without the extras and more importantly those who didn't buy the DLC weren't punished by a change in core mechanics.
    Completely false.
    PDX games are fully playable without buying any DLCs. Whats more you even get updates and improvements for free, none of which requires you to buy anything to be playable.
    CA on the other hand purposefully cuts content to sell it to you later.
    Nope..

Weird argument, any gameplay that appears as a DLC could be considered cut content.
    Ixal said:

Xenos7 said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Well there is no doubt that a player have to buy the lord pack if he want to play with a base faction with it's full potential, because the lord packs add not only lords, but also a missing general units.
    Tayvar said:

Ixal said:

Xenos7 said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Well there is no doubt that a player have to buy the lord pack if he want to play with a base faction with it's full potential, because the lord packs add not only lords, but also a missing general units.
    I'm not talking about potential, any DLC allows a game to realise its full potential, both games do this. My issue is a DLC policy that affects the game in a negative way due to not buying that DLC.

Tayvar said:

Ixal said:

Xenos7 said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not talking about potential, any DLC allows a game to realise its full potential, both games do this. My issue is a DLC policy that affects the game in a negative way due to not buying that DLC.
    The Race DLCs make the game map more interesting, but didn't effect the playstyle of the base races by much, so buying a Lord DLCs tends to be more pressing, and less of a matter of choice.
    Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Ixal said:

Xenos7 said:

Nemox said:

Ixal said:

Nemox said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

The Race DLCs make the game map more interesting, but didn't effect the playstyle of the base races by much, so buying a Lord DLCs tends to be more pressing, and less of a matter of choice.
    I believe the Lord Packs allow you to play new Lords and off RoR, which yes, gives new units and mechanics based on that Lord but it doesn't make the playability worse which certain DLC for EU4 does. More faction wide extras is usually given for free with CA.
    I'm not totally against Paradox as I'll be certainly buying Stellaris on the next sale and I never agreed with £13.99 for the Beastmen and Woodelves. I would just rather CA didn't get too many DLC ideas from Paradox.
    edited January 12

Nope..

Weird argument, any gameplay that appears as a DLC could be considered cut content.

Too bad that this guy is just whining that he does not get an easy mode without DLCs.
    It is not crippling to not have development and have to wait for institution spread the way it is meant to work, etc.

But for those kiddies who can't play without easy mode, both development and estates have been made free by now as has changing occupation.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,160Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited January 13
    Let's all stop the personal remarks about those with whom one disagrees.
    Post edited by dge1 on
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    Ixal said:

Nope..

Too bad that this guy is just whining that he does not get an easy mode without DLCs.
    It is not crippling to not have development and have to wait for institution spread the way it is meant to work, etc.

But for those kiddies who can't play without easy mode, both development and estates have been made free by now as has changing occupation.
    I'd recommend watching it before commenting and then take the time to understand. This guy generally supports Paradox, but naturally, like any reasonably intelligent person accepts that Paradox fans are disappointed with the DLC policy and what can be done about it. At no point did he say he wants an 'easy mode'.

@BillyRuffian

This originated as an ideas thread, happy to close.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,658Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Closed as requested by the OP.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
This discussion has been closed.