Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Number of Fielded Model Units?

pFathomgpFathomg Posts: 3Registered Users
Hey there everyone, I am completely new to the Total War series but not strategy games in that of themselves; that being said coming upon this game, especially when it comes to Army Force Composition, given you utilize funds to purchase all your units before the start of the battle, what is the relative agreement amongst players regarding how many models you need to field at the very least so as not to just invest solely in the most strongest units and not just over invest into those strongest units. I naturally realize, there can be huge imbalances in just investing the strongest unit from a composition standpoint, that being said, it's not impossible to still abuse the feature. Unlike games such as like for say DOW 2 where you unlock your strongest units as you go progress in tiers throughout the game, not to mention you start out with only one commander/unit and then need to begin purchasing other units as you accumulate the resources to do so. Total War comes with the approach where upon which you already have all the funds available at your disposal as well as all said units available and therefore only limited by the accounts of your funds as to what you can actually field. Therefore is there an (You need to have at least ___ this many model count army for this point value type of agreement) amongst players so you don't have problems of having to face the "dreaded low model count deathstars" such as that you may come upon when playing the tabletop versions of the game/Warhammer 40k? Thanks, to all those who take out the time to answer in advance, and I hope to see some of you in game.

-Regards, Fathom

Comments

• Green0Green0 Posts: 2,748Registered Users
    in general what you refer to are called "cheese armies", ones that seek to win at selection screen. While it's annoying to go against them, they are generally inconsistent. Since rank on ladder has no true meaning, my advice is to not take these armies seriously.

As a rule of thumb, you should:

- not pick more than 6 parthian shot units
    - not pick more than 3 single entities above 1000g
    - have at least, say, 300 troops (but for example with VC this is 2x150g Zombies so this is a token rule).

everyone has his own definition of cheese but I think this is very broad and allows you to build whatever you prefer while being fair.
  • pFathomgpFathomg Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey there Greeno. I appreciate the reply, to which I have another question in response. I have been searching online and it appears that changing unit sizes within the advanced graphic settings will also change the unit model count size, how does this factor into that of what I stated above? Anyone else who would also like to give an answer Is be very thankful to hear from as well.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 5,320Registered Users
    pFathomg said:

Hey there Greeno. I appreciate the reply, to which I have another question in response. I have been searching online and it appears that changing unit sizes within the advanced graphic settings will also change the unit model count size, how does this factor into that of what I stated above? Anyone else who would also like to give an answer Is be very thankful to hear from as well.

changing unit size seeing will only affect custom battles all quick battles are played on large founds and unti settings no matter what your setting is.
  • pFathomgpFathomg Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey there Lotus Moon, I appreciate the response, I have one final series of questions for anyone whom can answer. How many heroes are usually allotted in a single game? 1- 2? I'd imagine anything above that answer would be very saturating and possibly be even more detrimental to your force than anything.

How many Artillery Units are allotted?
    How many Creatures/Monsterous Creaturees such as pheonix' and Dragons ?(I am currently interested in playing the H.E. as my initial faction and hence why I ask?

Thanks once again for any of whom take out the time to answer, I have been quite pleasantly uplifted just looking into other conversations upon the forums for the community by the degree of openness to answering questions, addressing of other player concerns, and just welcoming attitude of seasoned players to newcomers. I'm pretty sure there are some less than stellar posters upon the site as well, but I've very much come to find myself almost somewhat at a loss for words as how to express by myself in response to the pleasantries, positivity, and otherwise well constructed, authentic, and insightful feedback in the comments.

• ExarchExarch Posts: 401Registered Users
    edited January 10
    0-2 heroes allowed.

You can have as much artillery as you like, but take too much and it's very hard to protect. One piece can be used to force the enemy to attack you, as well as do some damage. Two or three pieces is generally a big investment. For high elves, 2 bolt throwers are often picked against other artillery factions (e.g. empire), as a way to shut down any enemy guns.

There's not an overall limit on monstrous creatures as far as I know. I think some single entities are limited to 2, but someone would have to confirm. It goes back to what @Green0 said about cheese, and there is no definitive answer about what counts as abuse. I'd consider 2 star dragons fair, or a dragon and two phoenixes. More than that starts to get a bit cheesy, although it partially depends on the rest of your build.

The worst HE cheese build I faced was 3 dragons, 2 eagles, a healing mage and the rest Ellyrian Reaver horse archers (quite recently too). Thankfully, this is rare!

• KranoxKranox Posts: 3,504Registered Users
    edited January 11
    Well it truly depends on your faction and playstyle, but generally most army I see are between 600 and 1200 unit

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file