Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Meet Liu Zhang

CA_EllaCA_Ella Posts: 237Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

The youngest son of Liu Yan, Liu Zhang ruled over the Yi Province. While he maintained peace in his realm, some view him to be a foolish and incapable ruler. He is easily taken in by tricks and deception, and will choose the wellbeing of his subjects over his own ambition.

Comments

• sarin555sarin555 Posts: 152Registered Users
    Who is Liu Yan again?
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,401Registered Users
    edited January 10
    That is very strange. I would have thought Liu Zhang would have been a playable character later down the line. Very weirdly negative portrayal of him too from the blurb, I thought he was seen as a decently effective ruler and actually very Humane in rule, just never expanded much.

I'm sick and tired of bloody posters though, show me some actual info! We have yet to even see a standard field battle in game. Anything.
  • ThedossbossThedossboss Posts: 134Registered Users
    That is the most punchable face I have ever seen ever
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 1,209Registered Users
    He looks like a jolly chap. Like someone who'd offer tea and biscuits to the guys robbing his house.
  • AoishiroAoishiro Posts: 49Registered Users
    Only comfort in seeing him is that I hope he will get some unique generals. Please give him Fa Zheng and Meng Da.
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 841Registered Users
    Not terribly exciting, but I am glad these type of characters are being included. I hope to see more.
  • JudeTakerathJudeTakerath Posts: 138Registered Users
    edited January 10
    sarin555 said:

Who is Liu Yan again?

In this case (there were a few Liu Yan's), of the Han line with an interest in the spiritual, ran a school before becoming an offical, rising up the ranks to minister. Saw Han was in trouble so got permission to go to troubled Yi as he thought he could take advantage of when Han collapsed, he was successful in bringing Yi under his control and seems to ruled effectively. Became extremely blatant about not obeying the Han court, of being extremely ambitious to rule the land, attacked Dong Zhuo's successors but failed and lost two of his sons and died soon after.
    Krunch said:

That is very strange. I would have thought Liu Zhang would have been a playable character later down the line. Very weirdly negative portrayal of him too from the blurb, I thought he was seen as a decently effective ruler and actually very Humane in rule, just never expanded much.

I assumed Yi would become playable via DLC, I'm guessing Liu Yan will be the ruler if they ever do. Showing Liu Zhang is an odd move

Under Liu Zhang, Yi remained prosperous, he was viewed as kind, humane but also weak. He was a poor miliatry leader, failing to retake Hanzhong from Zhang Lu over the years, he never really won over the leading families, leading generals of his tended to rebel (partly why he fatally turned to Liu Bei, he couldn't trust his own generals). He inspired a degree of loyalty that was roused whenever he was trouble, even in his final defeat, but was also rebelled against and betrayed often
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,206Registered Users
    Liu Zhang?!? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I suppose that's ok though :P
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 451Registered Users
    This is very surprising, he is a nobody, good that CA is willing to add anyone

The lesser characters definitely add flavor to the setting and at the very least, make the awesome ones look even more awesome. I hope they end up adding at least 4 or so characters to each faction. Yuan Shao is really needing his.
  • JerroserJerroser Posts: 81Registered Users
    tfwoods3 said:

The lesser characters definitely add flavor to the setting and at the very least, make the awesome ones look even more awesome. I hope they end up adding at least 4 or so characters to each faction. Yuan Shao is really needing his.
    I guess they wanted to spread out some of the special characters so there aren't too many of them concentrated in the north east. Although since he won't be playable (at launch at least) I do wonder why they went to the trouble of giving him a unique ability set, unless it might be possible to confederate him or something or the ability to take on defeated characters extends to leaders of factions you have taken out.
  • ystyst Posts: 4,330Registered Users
    How is he a nobody, he pretty much enables 3 kingdom due to the fact liu bei took his kingdom lol. He’s literally sitting in the future shu kingdom capital
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 8,678Registered Users
    edited January 10
    Give me Zhang Liao!
    Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman!

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • ThedossbossThedossboss Posts: 134Registered Users
    Welp, now I know what my next pitch meeting is going to be about anyways
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,401Registered Users

Liu Zhang is minor but he is definitely not a nobody. He could easily have been a playable faction.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 573Registered Users
    Really strange choice, he’s neither a notable general nor a faction leader (at the start of the game).
    His faction isn’t playable either.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,022Registered Users
    edited January 11
    It is good that we have both good and bad characters. Because characters and heroes are not always the same thing. But this guy probably did not need to be an individually modelled character.

Liu Zhang from my latest ROTK campaign (KOEI really hates him lol) -

It is good that we have both good and bad characters. Because characters and heroes are not always the same thing. But this guy probably did not need to be an individually modelled character.

Is that version of the game any good? I stopped at version 11, which was my favorite.
  • lilpopelilpope Posts: 30Registered Users
    This reminds me kinda of the red duke in warhammer, makes the game feel more complete
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,022Registered Users
    tfwoods3 said:

Is that version of the game any good? I stopped at version 11, which was my favorite.
    Somethings are good, somethings are not so good. I loved it, due to the depth of character interactions and progression. BUT it is definitely not as well-rounded or polished as ROTK XI.