Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CA, Give The Skaven A Proper Balance Pass At Least!

13»

Comments

• DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 1,986Registered Users

DarkLordD said:

PdcGunner said:

They suck in battle so hard, their campaign runs counter to how it actually should play like...please at least consider making them not suck anymore before abandoning them for another six months. It's bad enough that they will remain incomplete for that long, but being trash-tier at the same time is too much.

Have at least that much consideration!

O yeah, and an actual bellchime for the Screaming Bell would be a nice present.

I can agree on the bell chime, but I believe the Skaven aren't trash tier. I see the total war youtubers posting videos of matches where they win. They just need to be played very different than other races. They certainly aren't high tier, but if they were trash tier, you would never see them in tournaments.
    Tell me what they can do well. Just one thing.

No, there isn't anything. VCoast does artillery better. VCounts does spam better (with summons that don't blow). Elves do monsters better. Practically everyone does magic better. Practically everyone does skirmishers better too. In campaign they get outspammed by Elves and both them and Dwarfs can expand easier because they don't have a secondary resource limiting them.

That you can win with them is irrelevant. You could win with Chaos and Dwarfs back in the WH1 days when they were trash tier.

I told you before, they are really good with dealing anything large.

They require a very unique way to play and thats not something everyone can do. I woudn;t right away say they are trash.
    No, they are not good at that. Stormvermin Halberds suck and are overcosted. Poison Wind Globadiers have such low projectile velocity that they hit nothing that doesn't stand still and nothing that flies at all (including warpgaled units) and Warp Lightning Cannons are brittle and can be destroyed easily due to hitbox shenanigans.

The "unique" way they require is playing around them not having any strengths and only weaknesses. They're absolute trash tier.
    yes they are good against large if you play it right. The globadiers utterly destroy dragons and the likes if you pin them down.

Just a side note, do you also have something good to say about Warhammer ? again a real question, what do you like about warhammer that makes you play it ? Simple question, just answer me that :) ( there is no hostility in my question by the way, so don't feel attacked)
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 16,121Registered Users
    DarkLordD said:

DarkLordD said:

PdcGunner said:

They suck in battle so hard, their campaign runs counter to how it actually should play like...please at least consider making them not suck anymore before abandoning them for another six months. It's bad enough that they will remain incomplete for that long, but being trash-tier at the same time is too much.

I can agree on the bell chime, but I believe the Skaven aren't trash tier. I see the total war youtubers posting videos of matches where they win. They just need to be played very different than other races. They certainly aren't high tier, but if they were trash tier, you would never see them in tournaments.

No, there isn't anything. VCoast does artillery better. VCounts does spam better (with summons that don't blow). Elves do monsters better. Practically everyone does magic better. Practically everyone does skirmishers better too. In campaign they get outspammed by Elves and both them and Dwarfs can expand easier because they don't have a secondary resource limiting them.

That you can win with them is irrelevant. You could win with Chaos and Dwarfs back in the WH1 days when they were trash tier.

They require a very unique way to play and thats not something everyone can do. I woudn;t right away say they are trash.
    No, they are not good at that. Stormvermin Halberds suck and are overcosted. Poison Wind Globadiers have such low projectile velocity that they hit nothing that doesn't stand still and nothing that flies at all (including warpgaled units) and Warp Lightning Cannons are brittle and can be destroyed easily due to hitbox shenanigans.

The "unique" way they require is playing around them not having any strengths and only weaknesses. They're absolute trash tier.
    yes they are good against large if you play it right. The globadiers utterly destroy dragons and the likes if you pin them down.

Just a side note, do you also have something good to say about Warhammer ? again a real question, what do you like about warhammer that makes you play it ? Simple question, just answer me that :) ( there is no hostility in my question by the way, so don't feel attacked)
    No, they don't. Poison Wind Globadiers miss 99% of the time when attacking static units in the air. That has been confirmed by way too many players including myself. There was an entire thread on this on the balance board about this very topic. I

No, I have currently nothing good to say about Warhammer. CA made me seriously angry with their policy as of late, pushing content I don't care about, delaying content I care about for who knows how long and communicating only via random snippets on random Reddit threads, treating their own forums with neglect and contempt.

• DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 1,986Registered Users

DarkLordD said:

DarkLordD said:

PdcGunner said:

No, they don't. Poison Wind Globadiers miss 99% of the time when attacking static units in the air. That has been confirmed by way too many players including myself. There was an entire thread on this on the balance board about this very topic. I

No, I have currently nothing good to say about Warhammer. CA made me seriously angry with their policy as of late, pushing content I don't care about, delaying content I care about for who knows how long and communicating only via random snippets on random Reddit threads, treating their own forums with neglect and contempt.
    I feel genuine real bad for you that you can't enjoy the game :( I hope you will find it back soon.

Games are ment to be fun and make sure you release some stress in the end of the day, not given you stress.

I hope game 3 will give you some new energy that you like.

good evening.
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 5,488Registered Users
    I regularly sacrifice entire stacks of Skaven slaves into the meat grinder of my artillery and spell kill zones. I prefer to do that before my normal army ever even engages.

I can attest that slaves take too long to recover - but the real problem is this:

1) Losing them makes your general lose loyalty -- even though they're just slaves! They are *not* expendable in terms of general's loyalty.

2) If you merge the wounded units to make room to recruit new ones to get them back more quickly? Same problem as above. Merging them counts units as taken away and so you have a more disloyal general.

For a bonus... transferring units around has this same deleterious effect on the general who's losing troops.

IMO they need to rethink the entire thing about troops being taken away as a loyalty changer. What would be a better loyalty changer would be something like making generals engage in battles where their projected strength is much lower than the enemy's --- and having them lose. That should pack a whollop.
  • MagicspookMagicspook Posts: 62Registered Users

DarkLordD said:

DarkLordD said:

PdcGunner said:

I think it is time you took a long break from warhammer. Just try it. Go play another game for some time (I can personally recommend dominions 5 if you want to stick to the grand strategy genre). Then check back when you've played that game to death. I've done this a couple of times whenever I got tired of warhammer and every time I came back, I found I could enjoy the game again.

DarkLordD said:

DarkLordD said:

PdcGunner said:

I think it is time you took a long break from warhammer. Just try it. Go play another game for some time (I can personally recommend dominions 5 if you want to stick to the grand strategy genre). Then check back when you've played that game to death. I've done this a couple of times whenever I got tired of warhammer and every time I came back, I found I could enjoy the game again.
    I'm already playing other games. I won't let CA off the hook however.

• Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I appreciated the controlled expansion the Skaven campaign required. I found it to be characterful and loreful.

Skaven aren’t known for controlling large swathes of territory on the surface; instead they establish concealed lairs and bases of operations to launch their attacks from. Obviously the underempire ranges far and wide, but whenever you look at an army book map of Skaven territory there are scattered strongholds rather than entire regions held under their dominance.

Except for hinted at but never detailed wars in Tilea and Estalia, the only times the Skaven have swarmed the surface world in force were during Clan Pestilens invasions in Lustria, the Skaven Wars launched in the Empire during the Black Plague and then in Brettonia during the Red Pox.

I felt that their play style reflected this, I would send armies out from strongholds to capture specific targets, and any territory not worth holding I would raze to the ground and leave as corruption choked ruins.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I appreciated the controlled expansion the Skaven campaign required. I found it to be characterful and loreful.

Skaven aren’t known for controlling large swathes of territory on the surface; instead they establish concealed lairs and bases of operations to launch their attacks from. Obviously the underempire ranges far and wide, but whenever you look at an army book map of Skaven territory there are scattered strongholds rather than entire regions held under their dominance.

Except for hinted at but never detailed wars in Tilea and Estalia, the only times the Skaven have swarmed the surface world in force were during Clan Pestilens invasions in Lustria, the Skaven Wars launched in the Empire during the Black Plague and then in Brettonia during the Red Pox.

I felt that their play style reflected this, I would send armies out from strongholds to capture specific targets, and any territory not worth holding I would raze to the ground and leave as corruption choked ruins.

It was a better experience when food was scarce and you had to juggle food and income with the commandment. It still was pretty off to saddle only the Skaven with such a mechanic when all the Elder Races should had have an even stricter version of this on their expansion.

+3 food from all major research topics is just too much since you probably unlock them all at the same time.

DarkLordD said:

DarkLordD said:

PdcGunner said:

Completely disregarding everything said in the quoted post other than the following:

I can also vouch for Dominions 5. It's a good game and great for playing to death then running away from screaming in horror before being lured back to it 3-6mo later. Good series in general, Dominions. Also... THEY know how to do undead. Yikes!
    Itharus said:

DarkLordD said:

DarkLordD said:

PdcGunner said:

Completely disregarding everything said in the quoted post other than the following:

I can also vouch for Dominions 5. It's a good game and great for playing to death then running away from screaming in horror before being lured back to it 3-6mo later. Good series in general, Dominions. Also... THEY know how to do undead. Yikes!
    Already tried the series, but the stone age presentation keeps me off. I really need something pretty in 2019.

Sticking with replaying the Dark Souls series for now.

It was a better experience when food was scarce and you had to juggle food and income with the commandment. It still was pretty off to saddle only the Skaven with such a mechanic when all the Elder Races should had have an even stricter version of this on their expansion.

+3 food from all major research topics is just too much since you probably unlock them all at the same time.
    I agree completely regarding elder races having a mechanic to reflect their lower numbers, before game 1 was released I was sure Dwarfs and Elves would have some degree of reduced replenishment or growth to start out with to represent their current state of being kept on their back foot by their enemies and unable to bring sufficient numbers bear.

It would have been cool to have this handicap eventually being removed later in the tech tree to represent a resurgent dwarf or Elven nation.
    Yeah, if Dominions 6 decided to include even 2010 level of graphics (as opposed to 1995 level of graphics) Total War might have to worry a little bit :P
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 11,737Registered Users, Moderators
    Please avoid the personal sniping.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour

I agree completely regarding elder races having a mechanic to reflect their lower numbers, before game 1 was released I was sure Dwarfs and Elves would have some degree of reduced replenishment or growth to start out with to represent their current state of being kept on their back foot by their enemies and unable to bring sufficient numbers bear.

It would have been cool to have this handicap eventually being removed later in the tech tree to represent a resurgent dwarf or Elven nation.
    Well, it would make sense to reward Elves or Dwarfs with...their current performance should they complete one overarching goal, like destroying the Dark Elves and recapturing all lost Karaks respectively. But from the start they should struggle with being races past their prime who cannot just spam armies in overwhelming numbers and easily paint the map. There's just so much flavor lost by them being so strong from the beginning. You wonder how they even got in the situation they're in at the beginning of the campaign when they're that strong at imperialism.

It's really lame that Skaven currently feel more like the dying race past its prime by being restricted in its expansion (OK, barely with the food rework), having such low replenishment and being generally scarce on the map.

• FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,237Registered Users
    There definitely should be more Skaven on the map. It's kind of their thing that they are lurking everywhere. I'd love to see their number double on the mortal empires map.
    I demand monogods!! Or not, whatever. I don't care that much.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,731Registered Users

There definitely should be more Skaven on the map. It's kind of their thing that they are lurking everywhere. I'd love to see their number double on the mortal empires map.

Add Mordheim and put Skaven in. There should absolutely be a presence of them in The Empire.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,237Registered Users

Add Mordheim and put Skaven in. There should absolutely be a presence of them in The Empire.
    You never know. Hellpit was added in for ME as well as Skavenblight and now Sartosa and Albion. I'd be all for it. There's a number of places like that I want to see added in. Right now, the Empire is pretty barren.
    I demand monogods!! Or not, whatever. I don't care that much.
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Posts: 3,547Registered Users

They need to rework the eat captives to be a percentile or something and not a direct number of captives = direct number of casualties healed.

It dis-proportionally benefits elite armies and punishes quantity races just for being a quantity races.

This, so much this^.

How is this still a thing? If anything, the "Free replenish" should be better for horde armies who are replacing chaff, not for elite armies where losses should be harder to stomach...

Also, I have been out of the loop for awhile and I saw it mentioned in a thread on Reddit: Have we really gone from Skaven/Lizardmen lord pack early 2019 to not until 3 Kingdoms is done and out (and I assume a few more months after that as well)?

I'll be frank, half the reason I've been out of the loop is because when that was announced, it killed the game for me a bit. My favorite race is missing half the units that make it my favorite race and it was basically said after Q&C "Yeah, not until 2019". I joked at the time they meant Dec. 2019 but the references I've seen on reddit make it seem like that it's not as much of a joke anymore?

Anyone perhaps a have a link or info?

Since Mordheim was leveled by Magnus, (obviously you could still explain some kind of Skaven presence there if they were added) but I think it would be better to add Bitter Stump up near Marienburg. This would make an interesting threat to the Brettonians as well (For the love of God we need both Black Chasm and the Massif Orcal!)
    Greenskins need some of that "better replenishment from eating enemies" treatment too.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 4,385Registered Users
    Itharus said:

I regularly sacrifice entire stacks of Skaven slaves into the meat grinder of my artillery and spell kill zones. I prefer to do that before my normal army ever even engages.

I can attest that slaves take too long to recover - but the real problem is this:

1) Losing them makes your general lose loyalty -- even though they're just slaves! They are *not* expendable in terms of general's loyalty.

2) If you merge the wounded units to make room to recruit new ones to get them back more quickly? Same problem as above. Merging them counts units as taken away and so you have a more disloyal general.

For a bonus... transferring units around has this same deleterious effect on the general who's losing troops.

IMO they need to rethink the entire thing about troops being taken away as a loyalty changer. What would be a better loyalty changer would be something like making generals engage in battles where their projected strength is much lower than the enemy's --- and having them lose. That should pack a whollop.

Yeah, that's not great. It should probably be based on changes to army strength.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Posts: 583Registered Users

Pretty sure Rich said in the AMA that more Skaven would be added in the old world along side the lord pack
13»